Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Reading is helping with my grief

beckymollenkamp

• Members
beckymollenkamp

My younger brother died almost 3 years ago from a heroin overdose. I've avoided grief like the plague because it just hurts too much. About 2 months ago, however, I decided to tackle my grief head-on by taking some time away from full-time work and focusing on the grief and then writing about it on my blog and, eventually, a book (I'm a writer by training and trade so it just makes sense). While I've not really started the most difficult things on my grief to-do list (like watching old videos of my brother or listening to a CD of his slam poetry), I have started slowing dealing with it in my own way. Running was my first step and it helps to clear my head and start to feeling some buried feelings. I've also discovered that reading (and not just self-help books or those focused on grief) is also helping. If you're interested in learning more about journey, you can check out my blog: http://www.beckymollenkamp.com and share it with others it might help. I'll try to check back in often and maybe be able to help others...

Becky

• Members

Its refreshing to see someone taking these kinds of steps. So often I think that we (or atleast I do) get so wrapped up in our own grief, we forget to look around and realize there are others going through the same thing, and perhaps we can lend a hand. Good for you.

• Members
beckymollenkamp

Thank you! Every time someone sends me an email saying my blog has helped them, I'm humbled and grateful. It does make me feel like some good may come from this loss. I hope.

Archived