Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Loss of an Adult Child

momofJustin

• Members

Kathy---Congratulations on your 36th anniversary !  :)

• Replies 68.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ericasmom

• Mermaid Tears

• daveydow1

• shorty16

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Sherry, what a terrible thing to say to a Mom who lost her Child. Goodness, there is nothing more needed than a hug or an I am so sorry for your loss. I think people try to let us know how they are feeling it as we travel it, but it rarely translates well.

Calebsmom, such a horrible way to respond to your loss and her son's. Again, saying nothing and giving a hug would go a long way to lending support.

Trudi, wherever you are, I am praying you are well, safe, and feeling loved. I heard there was yet another earthquake that hit near Australia, so please let us know if your area was affected. I hope that today on a walk with Muttley, you felt the amazing peace of Michael. For some reason, I thought of him and his beautiful smile throughout the afternoon.

Kathy, 36 years, wow Sweetie that is amazing. Congrats to you and Hubby. Have fun camping, may the weather hold nicely.

Carol, yes, your Grandboy and his Dad song. That is nice, both that his other Grammy knew to make him think twice, and that he is a believer. The song adn the story are enough to melt my heart.

Terrie, what sadness they are dealing with, I am so sorrry. Mike Stegler, let go quickly perhaps on your own so that those that love you most do not have to wonder if it was time. God bless their hearts as they are broken now, again. Please bless them with some sense of peace as brothers meet again.

Go to the light Mike, listen to the voices sending you off on this great journey, they are crying for who they will miss, not for where you are traveling.

Peace in this time,

dee

• Members

Terri - my prayers are with Tatoo Mike - I am so sorry that the family is having to face such an unbearable quest of having to stop all medicine/machines - I can not imagine. Of course all of our Angels will greet him if God should choose to take him from this earth. I totally believe that all who are here have been guided to this site by our children, they see the grieving, pain, heartache we endure each moment of our lives and they have come together to lead us to each other. Prayers, my friend.

Thanks for the congrats - yes 36 years is a long time - more than half my life !!!

LOL Kathy

• Members

Terrie 

I am so sorry to hear the latest update on  Tatoo Mike. I have included him in my prayers .  I pray that his family will find the courage and love and strength they need to get thru this ordeal.

Carol, Lori and Sherry, I understand how the memories will sometimes bring on the doubt and pain  Praying for your peace as well

Betty

Stephen's mom

• Members

Terri:  Holding Tattoo Mike in my heart and prayers.  As Kathy said, If he does leave this earth, he will meet up with all of our angels, I will also keep his family in my heart and prayers for strength for this ordeal...

love and peace,  carol  mikesmomrs

• Members

Amanda:  the shower sounds like a great idea, with lots of fun planned.  I will be praying for you as you hear about your tests...

• Members

Terrie, my prayers are with Tattoo Mike that he go quickly ... . our angels are waiting for him with open arms.   

Amanda, Please let us know about your tests... I know everything will be just fine....

HUgs, Marcia   Bethany's Mom Forever

• Members

Thank you everyone for keeping Mike in your prayers.  I have not heard word from anyone today, but praying that the family finds some peace and comfort and that Mike will have a painless and loving transition.

Terrie (Adam's mom)

• Members

Terri – My prayers are with Mike and his family. All of our angels will greet him when the time is right.

Sherri – How could any mother say that to another mother. Some people are just so stupid. I know I shouldn’t say that but Hello!!

Kathy – Congrats on the 36 Years!

Amanda - Praying for your results to be perfect. The baby showers sounds like so much fun.

I know I told everyone about my parent’s 50th wedding anniversary party on Saturday night but it was so much fun I just wanted to let everyone know that I smiled and laughed and didn’t feel guilty. Danielle would have had a blast. But she was there in spirit.

Sunday will be the 2 year mark since I have talked to my baby, hugged her. We would stay up late at night on the weekends and talk for hours and laugh and eat popcorn. Such sweet memories.

Dee – Mattie is coming right along in school this year. The teacher is expecting them to behave so guess what Mattie is loving it and her Math is now on course with my standards after talking with the teaching and getting a book from her to help me with her Math. Thanks for your advise.

Lorri – I cried when I read what Kourtney wrote. There was nothing you could have done earlier. You did everything you could have done. Mostly loving her!

Marcia – Glad to see you. I take it all your paperwork has been completed. Love see Bethany’s face again.

Love to everyone!!

Sonya (Danielle’s Mom)

• Members

SONYA I TOO AM COMING UP ON TWO YRS, SINCE....SINCE IVE HEARD HER VOICE, SINCE WE LAUGHED TOGETHER, SINCE.........................

NOVEMBER 15TH IS THE DAY IT ALL COME UNRAVELING FOR ME, I JUST KNEW THAT WHEN WE FOUND OUT NOVEMBER 3RD/4TH (TRICKELD INTO MIDNIGHT AT ER) THAT THIS COULD ALL BE FIXED WITH SURGERY....LIL DID I KNOW...

I SIT AT THE CEMETARY AND I CANT BELIEVE THIS IS HOW MY LIFE HAS TURNED OUT AND HOW HERS ENDED SOOO SOON...TO SOON...I NEVER SAW IT COMING, SHE DIED ON JUNE 17TH 2008, ON A TUESDAY AND I NEVER THOUGHT EVEN ON MONDAY JUNE 16TH SHE WOULD DIE...NEVER. I HAD HOPE AND FAITH TIL THE 12TH HOUR.....THAT NEVER CAME...

SORRY GUYS IM JUST IN A DARK PLACE RIGHT NOW...AS I SAID WE DID SO MANNNY THINGS TO GETHER THAT MY LIFE IS MY KIDS (KOURTNEY MOSTLY) BECAUSE SHE MADE TIME FOR ME AND WE WORKED TOGETHER...

IM PRAYING FOR YOUR FRIEND TATTOO MIKE..I MISSED THE POST OF WHAT IS WRONG WITH HIM BUT PRAYING JUST THE SAME...

AND I WANNA CONFESS RIGHT HERE TO YAL, THAT IM NOT A NICE PERSON....AT ALL,,,BUT I JUST WONT MAKE THE TIME FOR PPL THAT DIDNT MAKE THE TIME FOR MY BABY GIRL.....A "FRIEND OF OURS" IS IN THE HOSP, SHE IS A LIL OLDER THEN ME AND SHE JUST HAD COLON SURG...AND MONTY SAID "DO YOU WANNA GO TO THE HOSP TO SEE DEBBIE"? AND I SAID "NOPE I SURE DONT".....THE WHOLE TIME WE WERE IN THE HOSP 7MONTHS 2DAYS THEY CAME 2 X'S..MAYBE 3 THESE ARE PPL WE RACE WITH EVERY WEEKEND, DEBBIES DAUGHTER IN LAW HALIE IS KOURTNEYS "BEST FRIEND" AND SHE TO  ONLY CAME 3XS....THE HOLE TIME DEBBIES HUBBY WAS IN HOEP WE WERE WITH THEM FOR 2 WEEKS PRACTICALLY NEVER LEAVING...HELPED WITH THE FUNERAL ETC...AND THEY CANT MAKE TIME FOR MY BABY SO IM NOT GOING....

SO NOW YOU NO IM UGLY AND STUBBORN...AND I WONT BUDGE ON THIS...THERE I FEEL BETTER

• Members

Betty---Thank you for your kind words. You're a sweetie, and I wish

you peace & tranquility.

Terrie---Remembering Tatoo Mike in my thoughts &  prayers.

Sonya---Yes, some people are so very ignorant. I know that this woman

I spoke of really loved her only son, but a simple "I'm sorry" would have

been better. I have not seen her for years---no word from her when

Davey passed----just as well. She would probably come up with some

other ignorant remark. You sure find out who your true friends are when

you lose a child.....don't you agree?   Peace, friend.

Lorrie----I'm sorry you are having a rough time of it. As far as the people

who only came to the hospital 3 times, when your Kourtney was so ill----

well, as I said to Sonya......You find out who your true friends are (or aren't)

when you lose a child. The true ones stick by you.....the 'lukewarm' ones will

most likely 'fade' and won't come through, and will drift off , so the friendship

obviously didn't mean that much to them.  Peace & comfort.

Daveysmom,  Sherry      

• Members
heartbeataway

Hi guys,

Don't have time to go back and read all the posts but I did scan and wanted to say a couple of things:

Tattoo Mike ...... praying for strength

Kathy .... Happy anniversary

Amanda, enjoy your shower. It's definitely different! :)

Lorri,

I'm not defending Debbie & Co. but could it be that hospital visits were traumatic in some way after having lost a loved one who was hospitalized?

You have to do what your heart tells you to do. And that doesn't make you a mean person.

Just remember also that when you forgive, you do it for yourself, not for them.

Today has been a little on the exhausting side and I haven't even done all that much .....

Be well,

Bonnie, Jay's Mom

• Members

Lorri:

Just FYI:  Mike Stegler (aka Tattoo Mike) was on his motorcycle and hit by  driver who ran ran a stop light last Friday night.  Hit and run.  Mike is, I think 50 years old.   His sister is a good friend of mine, we have know each other since we were about 11 years old (33 years of friendship!) She had another brother, Pete, who I dated briefly in high school.  Pete and his three children died in a fire several years ago.  A lot of suffering for this family.  They were scheduled to remove Mike from "life support" this afternoon, I haven't received word since.

And you are not a bad person, you are a human, you are a mother who lost her child and we sometimes have expectations that other people do not understand.  We expect people to know we are not like others, we expect that if our children are in the hospital, people will care and the so-called friends will be there for us.  We learn alot after we lose a child, and we learn who are our true friends and who are not.  It is a blessing and a curse.  I send my love to you.

Terrie (Adam's mom)

• Members

These past days the 'abyss' opened and I tumbled down.  Yesterday was the professional standards hearing for Mikes doctor.  The only up side was at the commencement of the hearing the panel asked if it would be alright to call my son by his name.........Say his name, my heart broke and my tears fell.  (Bonnie, I thought of you - saying their names out loud)

On my way home I hit the local radio station for our area.  I don't usually listen, but this came on.  For all the mums & dads who's angelversary dates are upon them...Perhaps Love.......For Danielle, Mike, Ethan this month of October... for those who just had a memory or a thought that tugged at their heart...For you all.....

Trudi

I know Mike..."country roads, take me home"........memories

• Members

Trudi:  walking beside you, holding your hand...

• Members

Ditto that, we are walking beside you as you look way above and see the sky, know that you will be out from under the gloom of this one day again. This visit into the deep and dark underworld is for reasons that will unfold as you go. SAY HIS NAME, Say their names. While Mike cannot come back from the misjudgements others may benefit from this excursion into the mishandling of Mike's pain meds. I am soo sorry for all that has taken you below, I will try to post a song that I find to be the epitomy of how we feel when in the pits.

It is called; Catacombs, by one of all time fav bands; Poi Dog Pondering. They are a Chicago Band.

Loving All,

dee

• Members

Dee, how perfect that song is .. for the dark dark place I keep falling in to .....  I worry it will always be this way... I never understood how the second year could be worse than the first, but it is sure startig off that way for me...... Can I look forward to the thrid and forth year to be softer?????????????????????

Love You, Marcia   Bethanys Mom Forever

• Members

I'd like you all to post a favorite picture of you child. I'm going to make a sign for the golf tournament tomorrow.

• Members

Greg, how sweet of you, thank you  ... I think my favorite pic is the avatar of Bethany I am using now, this pic was taken when she was 16 and on a school sponsored trip to Greece, one of the high points in my little girls life.... can you grab the pic from the avatar? or do I need to repost the pic in the forum?

Hugs,  Marcia   Bethanys Mom Forever

• Members

Trudi – So sorry to hear that you find yourself in an 'abyss' I know all to well what that feels like. My prayers are with you as you listen at the hearing. I’m glad to hear that they will say Mike’s name!

Marcia – I can only speak for me but I will hit the 2 year mark this Sunday and I’m not doing so well this week, but I have to say I don’t think year 3 will be as bad as year 2. Not sure why I guess maybe the 1st we are just in that fog and then start getting out of it and it’s no longer new the “first” without her, we are living with this now and learning to be the “new us”.

Greg – Thanks for including our kids. I’m going to try to post a picture, it’s James’ (her brother’s) favorite picture of Danielle. But you all know I’m not so good at attaching pictures.

Sonya (Danielle’s Mom)

It takes so little to make me happy these days! I DID IT!!! I posted a picture!!! Sorry!

post-19062-128153895319_thumb.jpeg

• Members

Marcia, I am so glad that you like that song, it is truly one of my favorites. I promise that the third and fourth year will be softer, was for me and continues to soften with, of course, the once in a while drop into the pit. You will however, be delivered with more light, more of the silver sheen that accompanies our memories after some time passes. I promise.

Greg, I will try to send that when I get home today, this computer does not allow for that. Thanks so much.

dee

• Members
heartbeataway

For Greg .....

Next year, you can have the flag banners.

Very cool!  Thanks for including our children.

• Members

Great picture Bonnie...................!!!! Such a beautiful smiling face...

Love, Marcia   Bethanys Mom Forever

• Members

Sonya, I love that pic of Danielle, it is the one we took to the reunion in MN,               I remember 'cropping' her 'smoking ' hand out...:)     always on the phone -- that was my Bethany too.... :)

Hugs, Marcia   Bethany's Mom Forever

• Members

Marcia - Thanks for doing that cropping out! We did the same thing at my parents party with her table of pictures. I don't know why James likes this picture the best but he does. I guess it's the real Danielle in this picture. She was going to quit smoking in January.

Sonya

• Members

Bonnie, that is that scrubbed by sunshine look...so handsome. Sonya, Danielle looks so pretty there, so HER> I know as you approach the date of her leaving, your heart hurts. I am walking ten steps ahead, feel free to walk in my footsteps and all those stepping just ahead of you.

Last night, and for 5 nights, I have gone to my office to sleep. We have John's aunt and uncle over and Jhn gets rather loud sometimes, snoring, so I retreat to my office because the guest room is taken by aunt adn uncle. (they are lovely people). Anyhow, I have had a lot of insomnia lately, so I turned my light on to read last night, and my office is filled with photos of Eri and all of her cousins. So there she was, smiling from the bulletin board, amongst her favorite people, her brother and cousins. Smiling out. My heart ached, It's been so long Sweetie Girl, 6 years and counting and while I do not ache like I used to, while I know she is peaceful and free, I will always miss my Little Girl.

Loving you My ERI.

• Members

I had to share with you this poem my sister wrote.

You left us here two years ago. In such a sudden way. We weren't prepared to say good bye and let you go away. You were the one that laughed the most, the one who loved the best. You were the one that sparked us all in your very special way.

We miss you baby girl, much more than words can say, but know that we will see you again on that happy reunion day.

The days drag by without you here, we struggle with it still. But, still we try to carry on and enjoy each one left behind.

Our lives are forever changed not only because you're gone, but most of all because you were here.

We love you forever and ever.

-Your family.......

Sonya (Danielle's Mom)

• Members

Sonya:   I   loved the new picture of Danielle and the lovely poem.  I think we can all  so identify with the line in the poem that said "Our lives are forever changed not only because you're gone, but most of all because you were here. " Thank you for sharing it was us.

Bonnie:  The new picture of Jason is Perfect.  He looks so relaxed and happy.

Trudi & Marcia & Dee: I am so sorry you are in a dark place.  Holding everyone and their angels in my thoughts

Greg:  I love the picture I have posted here of Stephen however I love this one of him packing to go to California when he was 18,  He looks so young and innocent and hopeful.

I too miss him  Thank you for including us all.

Stephen%20sittin7446.jpgI hope the picture posts. Have a Blessed Day Everyone

• Members

Greg – Thanks for asking us to do this. It’s so much fun to see the different pictures of our children

HotRod = Love the picture of Stephen packing to go to CA.

Dee - I hope that sleep will fall upon you tonight and sweet dreams will come your way.

• Members

Greg - This is one of Mike at Camp.  He and Lauren were part of the team that ran Camps for kids with multiple disabilities, be they physical, psychological or socio/economical.  It was held at the Philip Island Adventure camp. They had x-treme flying foxes, swings: they swam, did indoor activities but most of all they had the time of their lives..........Thats my boy, no pain, no drugs, big heart and lots of love........Trudi

So many memories, so little time.........:cool:

post-17130-128153895324_thumb.jpg

• Members

Not saying its a sign, but going through the pics on slideshow this one kept looping, even when I hit the x or tried to stop the show.....Mike loved his car. Nothing too over the top, but red, you know they go faster!!

post-17130-128153895325_thumb.jpg

• Members

Lovely poem Sonya, tell your Sis. I agree with Betty, 'because you were here.'

Bett, love that photo of Stephen, packing his things, all the joy in the moment.

love to all, gotta get out of here, this classroom was NUTS today, as was teh whole school, there are some issues here that are deeply disturbing to me. SO much standarized testing and I have opposed it. I stood up to say I will not do this first batch of testing when there is already so much testing and I am getting some flack, but if we just keep rolling over for all of this crap...I might as well just become a test facillitator. I spoke loudly and harshly to my boss and to the test-freak that works here and said, ""what do you think the parents will say when they find out that their children are being fit into numbered slots according to test scores rather than having enriching events. Goodness knows that these children need expereince with life, that is what transfers to great test scores, because we give them a broader base of knowledge through experience...I AM FRUSTRATED! This district, and more importantly, this school, (one of 10 in district) was always known for its ability to teach wondrous things through non traditional means and traditional means. NOW? Yikes, sorry had to blow off some steam.

Off to the gym on this dark and rainy day...

The great news of the day however, BARRACK OBAMA WINS NOBEL PEACE PRIZE!!!!!!! What a wonderful and amazing gift to be given.

dee

• Members

What a deeply beautiful man Trudi. MEERKATS!

• Members

Just one of my favorite photos of Kayla. She really loved her carebears. I really love and miss her more than ever.

post-23331-128153895326_thumb.jpg

• Members

All of the pics are just awesome...I am attaching a pic of Mike on a day when he went to a ballgame with his friend, Eric, and it was the first and only one they went to together.  Eric is a pilot and is seldom in town....this was one of those times, and he took the time to spend it with Mike.  I am also attaching the pic of Drew for Mary, as I don't know if she will be able to attach one or not.

thanks so much, Greg, for doing this...you are the best, and Brian is so very proud of you!!!

Mikecloseupforbutton072907.jpg

Drewsmaller2784to111308.jpg

• Members

OMG...I just logged on to see how you guys were doing and much to my surprise...Mikesmom posted a picture of Mike and Drew. I am now ready to cry:(     Thank you so much for doing this for me! You guys are amazing people. We haven't even met and yet you all continue to be there for each other (and for me). If I can ever do anything as nice as this for any of you, please let me know what it is and I will be there to do it! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

I hope everyone here finds that their days are moving along a bit. I still have many days (almost every day) that I cry. I think of each and everyone of you often but still can't bring myself to this BB very often. It is still too surreal and remains a painful nightmare that we live each day.

I have a new job in VA. It is at a Children's Hospital where I used to work. We lived in this town for 10 years and my in-laws live 20 minutes away. My husband will stay behind in our house and my daughter is a senior in college. I just think that my husband of 32 years and I need a break...does this make any sense to anyone?! Some days I wake up and just think maybe I have lost my mind for doing this! But...I need to make some sanity out of all of this! I am leaving a really good job in Boston...I will miss it, but it is time to go!

Carol, Trudi, Sonya, Lorrie, Dee, Greg, Bonnie, Nicksdad, Rohan's mom, Mikesmum, Marcia, Terrie, Sherry, Amanda, Betsy, Kathy, Colleen, Avril, Zachysmom, Mary Ann, Betty...I hope I included everyone! I think of you every day. You are in my heart and prayers (I am still not praying allot these days!). Please be strong and continue to support all of the mom's and dad's who are going though this terrible ordeal. You guys are the best! Until next time...when I get the nerve up to come on the BI site...Love you! (Drewsmom) Mary

• Members

WOW FAV PIC HUH WELL I LOVE ALL OF KOURTNEYS BUT THIS ONE I JUST FEEL LIKE I CAN READ HER MIND..

"YA IM HOTT, IM HAPPY , IM MARRIED TO THE BEST GUY, AND HAY HURRY LETS GO TO LUNCH"!

post-22932-128153895329_thumb.jpg

• Members

Kayla's 21st birthday (2/10/08). We should be celebrating my birthday tomorrow but...

post-23331-128153895332_thumb.jpg

• Members

Dee---Thanks for your reply. In telling about the woman who said a

thoughtless thing at Lisa's wake, years ago.....I don't mean to sound

as though I have been holding a grudge all this time. I had socialized

with her after that, but as time went by, my moving out of the area

at the time, etc. we just drifted apart. I guess that happens a lot of times.

No big deal. If I happened to see her in a store (if I'd even recognize her),

I'm sure we'd say hello, but just no real closeness anymore.

Trudi----Thoughts & prayers for you now....in your dark time. 

Beautiful song by John Denver......Thanks.    Peace, friend.

Daveysmom, Sherry

• Members

LYNN,HAPPY BIRTHDAY OCT 10, 2009..HOPE ITS A GREAT ONE...OR TRY TO MAKE IT A GREAT ONE..KAYLA LOVES WHEN YOUR HAPPY...WE LOVE YOU LYNN

• Members

OH AND MIKES MOM...OUR SERVER (WAITER) IN FT WORTH THE OTHER DAY COULD HAVE BEEN MIKES TWIN, I REALLY WANTED TO GET A PIC OF HIM FOR YOU IT WAS SO SOSO WEIRD HOW MUCH THEY FAVORED..

• Members
heartbeataway

Mary,

Please "get the nerve" soon. It will be sad not to see Drew's avatar.

Do what you need to do ...... let us help if we can.

Bonnie, Jason's Mom

• Members

Happy Birthday Lynn !!

• Members

Hello everyone, not much to say tonight really. Nice pictures. Here is one of my daughter sarah, me, and RIch. He just mowed my friends lawn , it was about a foot high and he fixed and used her push mower. Not many pics of us together, one of us usually held the camera.

Greg, if you can copy the avatar that would be great. This mean so much, thanks.

post-27668-128153895335_thumb.jpg

• Members

Lynn,

Happy Birthday you Sweet Dear Woman...I know that Kayla will be celebrating your birthday  tomorrow. She will always love her Momma, and you will always be Kayla's Momma.

May you sense the care bears that Kayla loved so dearly. Go do something lovely tomorrow, even if it is a walk near the river or some shopping, something that makes you feel good. She will be there with you, sharing that time.

• Members

Thanks Greg, let's see if this posts.

post-7435-128153895338_thumb.jpg

• Members

I am loving all the photos Guys, what dear and beautiful Children we have. I know that our Kids are rooting us on, cheering for us to continue moving up that huge mountain called grief...knowing that we can get to the top and be blessed with a different view, a new and more gentle place. We battle and then one day we realize that we are living on the mountain top, the struggle to breathe is no longer, we have a more consistent view of where we have been and we can appreciate what it took to get there, and we can reach down and help the next one up just as those ahead of us helped us. From here, I see and feel Erica more often, less encumbered by the weight of all the pain. Having left pieces of it along the path, never able nor willing to give it all up, I sit here and fill my spirit with the beauty of my Girl.

Carol, love that you helped Mary, you are a wonder-woman, and Mary, I agree with Bonnie, I hope that you feel able to post whenever you like as you are a welcome sister to this family.

Terrie, any word?

dee