Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Forgetting

finn4576

• Members

I forget all the time that my daddy is truly gone. I lost him almost 3 months ago, and i still talk about him like he's still here. Whenever i do it people always look at me funny, and that's when i realize it. It kills me to think that he's gone forever. Sometimes i feel like he's just on a long business trip, and he's going to come home soon.. sit in his chair again.. pet the dogs... and i'd have my family back.

• Moderators

Completely understandable. It's been much longer for me in my loss and I still have to convince myself this is real because it's too ridiculous to be real. Give yourself time, you will need it.

• Members
AlwaysHisGirl

I thought perhaps these quotes on grief might help a little.

“The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not ‘get over’ the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will heal and you will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same nor would you want to.”

― Elizabeth Kubler-Ross and John Kessler

“The mystery of death, the riddle of how you could speak to someone and see them every day and then never again, was so impossible to fathom that of course we kept trying to figure it out, even when we were unconscious.”

Francine Prose, Goldengrove

Archived