Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

What are you doing for the New Year?

Aimee

• Members

Can't say that I am sad to see this year go. I don't think I am going to do anything differently this year than prior years.

Since the beginning of our marriage, My Charlie and I would celebrate the New Year by making all sorts of junk food, things we NEVER had during the year, watching a movie or listening to music, and then "pretend" the ball dropped at 9pm. After the ball dropped we would hit the bed!! I don't need to get into any more details... That was all. We weren't big partiers. We didn't like crowds. We just loved the time we spent with each other.

When the kids came along, it became a great party! We would each dance one of the kids around the living room and talk about all the wonderful things that happened during the year. Then the ball would drop, the kids would go to bed, and we would fall asleep watching the movie. (Ha! See the difference?)

This year... I plan to try and keep it as close to tradition as possible. The kids and I will have a junk food party, play Just Dance 4, and watch a movie. Before the ball drops (at 10....ooohhhh I am living on the edge), we will talk about what Daddy missed this year; and how much we miss him. I will try to keep it positive. I will try not to begin the new year with tears: I have had too many this year.

What do you have planned? I pray that is as positive as you can possibly make it.

Aimee

• Moderators

I'm actually going to a party for the first time in years. We weren't much for it either, but beats sitting at home alone. At least I hope so.

• Members

I don't know. Feeling low. Last year, my husband wasn't up to going out and I went out with friends making sure I was back before midnight to kiss and do our own little celebration. I have an invitation to go out, but I hate the cold, always have. Have little motivation for anything today. hadn't taken my anti-depressant for some days, so I took it today. Maybe having a reaction to feeling yesterday like I could finally box up Steve's clothes. Isn't it funny how they leave all kinds of things behind, but not the kinds of things you wish they could leave behind, like hugs when you need them, like the way they smelled, the way they felt, as more than just a memory.

• Members

I don't know. I'm invited out, but I'm feeling rather down today. No motivation to do anything. hadn't taken my anti-depressant in some days, but took it today. Last year, my husband wasn't up to going out and I went out with friends making sure I was home to kiss him and have a little celebration just us two at midnight. Yesterday, I finally felt like I could box up his clothes. Didn't do it. Just put an empty box in front of his closet. And I'm definitely not ready to get rid of them. If I went out with my friend (another single female), two things could happen. I would have fun and feel guilty later, or nobody would show any interest and I' feel like I'm never going to have such love again. Ugh. I'm a real downer today.

• Moderators

Correction, WAS going out - nasty flu has relapsed on me - maybe see a few of you here :)

• Members
lost and numb

Thanx W2.

My kids wouldn't let me be alone yesterday. I am really glad that they came over. I don't think I could have gotten through the day, then the ball drop if they had not. I keep forgetting that they are grieving too. I am wrapped up in my own sorrow so much. They wanted to be together as family just like always.

We had a good visit and talked a bit about how we were feeling. It was a good thing. :)

I can't say that the day went smoothe but it was a lot better than doing it alone. We will get through this together.

Archived