Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Did I say right thing to someone grieving

greg88

• Members

My friend lost his Mum. I found out a week ago and emphasized if there was anything he needs he shouldn't hesitate to call. He thanked me

This week i sent another message saying he has been in my thoughts and re-empahsised im here to help. He texted back some details about the post mortem and said "she wouldnt have known it was happening (died in sleep) so its a small comfort". I texted back "yes that must be a comfort. Take care of yourself"

Was this completly the wrong thing to say? Am i belittling his mothers death?

• Members
BreathofAngel

My friend lost his Mum. I found out a week ago and emphasized if there was anything he needs he shouldn't hesitate to call. He thanked me

This week i sent another message saying he has been in my thoughts and re-empahsised im here to help. He texted back some details about the post mortem and said "she wouldnt have known it was happening (died in sleep) so its a small comfort". I texted back "yes that must be a comfort. Take care of yourself"

Was this completly the wrong thing to say? Am i belittling his mothers death?

Very warm greetings, Greg!

It was very thoughtful of you to extend your condolences to your friend in the manner in which you did. It's the thought that counts though many apparently do not use enough sensitivity to the matter when they offer their sympathy.

I'm sure he realizes that you, as a friend, are still reaching out to him and in his mourning has accepted your responses as coming from the heart.

For more on how or what to write when in such a situation and what to say, the following fine website has great information!

How to Write a Condolence Letter: http://www.squidoo.c...ndolence-letter

Scroll down to this part --" What to Include in a Condolence Letter" and in the areas below that there are more examples as well.

Many blessings to you for your thoughtfulness and kindess to your friend during this time.

Archived