Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Helping... Sort of

Elizabeth51

• Members

A couple weeks ago a friend of mines 4 month old Son passed away. She, almost immediately, contacted me. "How do I get through this?" "How do you go on?" "What do I do?" These sort of things. I didn't know what to say. I don't know how I get through my day to day. I told her just to take things one day at a time. To not feel guilty if you want to go out to dinner with your friends. To not let anyone, even me, tell you how you're supposed to feel.

I went to the service last weekend. I hadn't been to a funeral or memorial since my Son died. It was... Horrid. I do my best to avoid those situations. But we, more than anyone, know that when a grieving Mother asks a friend for a favor, you don't say no.

How do I help her? How do I get through my own day when I try so hard to block out these feelings of loss and emptiness.

This situation is making me come face to face with something that I try so hard to keep away.

The picture below is my Son playing. He was always playing, laughing, joking, being silly.

post-300899-0-98796500-1354677789_thumb.

• Members

Elizabeth51

You do exactly what you are doing - listen to her, let her cry, tell her not to feel guilty and remind her to breath.

She just needs someone to talk to. Someone who understands the depth of this pain. And the fact that this loss does not go away - it changes your life.

Yes, it may be hard on you at times, but this interaction may turn out to help you too.

Take care

Colleen, Brian's Mother Forever

• Members

Hi, Elizabeth,

I lost my adult daughter in an accident - or possibly a crime, the cops are still investigating - last March. It was an overwhelming experience, as you know. The only people I could really talk to were several friends in my community who had also lost children. Their willingness to talk to me, to guide me, were so valuable. Even though, really, there is no "guide." But It was so important to me just to know they were there. It was a great & loving kindness you showed your friend despite the sadness it brought back.

best wishes to you on this difficult journey

Susan

Archived