Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Acute Stress Disorder

Yadairaisabel

• Members
Yadairaisabel

Today was my first visit to counseling. I wasn't sure of how I would feel by doing this but I figured it wouldn't hurt to go. We talked about his life and the things that are hurting the most. Towards the end of the visit she asked me how I felt when chuck passed away in my arms I simply just lost it!!! No one had yet to ask and I had yet to really grasp what happened. Well long story short her diagnosis was acute stress disorder. She asked me to consider antidepressants. I'm not sure if to do this. Any suggestions??

• Members

I didn't take anything for 3 years and by the time I wound up in hospital with stress-induced depression with misbalanced potassium, magnesium.and salt so they made me go take tests and see the psychiatrist before they would release me from hospital. I certainly wished within about a month that I had been on them much, much earler. It made a huge snd positive difference to me. I am on teva-venlafaxine 350 (also known as effexor,2 a day, one at breakfast and one at dinner.)

Since they caught you so quickly you may be fine on a much lower dose or they may want to try you on something else. I also don't like the idea of anti-psychotics drugs in general, but these ones just seem to calm me down so that I can generally take a normal day in stride.

At any rate, don't hesitate taking your doctor's advice! If it were me, and if I knew then what I know now, I'd be running down to the MD and grabbing that perscription. It doesn't change you and your feelings, but it sure help you cope with them better.

Take care, and do let me know what you decided to do, what you are taking (if anything), and how in how in general you are feeling and coping. Please take care of yourself...you have had a very rough time and there is no reason you need to suffer any more than necessary of for longer than necessary. Good luck and keep posting,

Jane

• Members

I am so sorry you are having to go through this.I guess this is more of an opinion than a suggestion. I do think counseling is great for people, it always it helps to talk to a outside person. As far as antidepressants go Ii really think that depends on the person. Some times pills mask the problem or in our case missing our loved one. But, on other hand they help some. If you feel like you need something that will help you deal with the pain then it will not hurt to try. I work in the medical field and see plenty people on antidepressants to help them in different ways. They can help from a different stand points of healing from a simple good nights sleep to uncontrollable crying. Unfortunately this is part of life that no one can avoid rather we are young or old. Loosing someone that we have shared our lives is one of the hardest things imaginable for anyone. I have a few friends including my husband's mother that have lost their spouse or long time boyfriend. All has told me the same thing maybe not in the same words but all the same meaning and that it is not a easy road to travel and there will be times it seems like the end of the world and times to where you see a hint of light at the end of the tunnel. And that is will never hurt any less but it does get easier to deal with it. That I will have to find my comfort zone on how to deal with loosing my soul mate and that I would but not everyone is the same so not every road can be traveled the same. So antidepressants might be your answer to help you find your comfort zone and like with some of my friends they found theirs in church, some in counseling, antidepressants and I find comfort here in this website. even tho I do not post everyday just reading the post or posting something helps me by seeing that the feeling I have are normal and that it it can be dealt with in different ways. I know this might not help but I hope it does help in some way. My prayer and thoughts are with all her. May God bless each and everyone to ease our pain by knowing we have not lost our soul mate we just can not see them.

• Members
Yadairaisabel

Thank you both for your suggestions. It's def not an easy road I'm considering taking the meds just because I need to function for my kids and I've been going down hill since chuck passed. I'm very quiet and I've always been the anchor of the family so one of my problems have been simply grieving. Today marks a month of his passing and I don't even know how to feel its almost like my heart isn't there anymore. I'm numb I can't even cry in peace. I feel like I'm going insaine:(

• Moderators

Today was my first visit to counseling. I wasn't sure of how I would feel by doing this but I figured it wouldn't hurt to go. We talked about his life and the things that are hurting the most. Towards the end of the visit she asked me how I felt when chuck passed away in my arms I simply just lost it!!! No one had yet to ask and I had yet to really grasp what happened. Well long story short her diagnosis was acute stress disorder. She asked me to consider antidepressants. I'm not sure if to do this. Any suggestions??

Frankly I suggest getting a second opinion, esp if her "diagnosis" was based mostly or entirely on the fact that you lost it when she asked you such a question. What did she expect you to do? Go "oh well it wasn't too bad" - ? Good grief. And is this person a psychologist or simply a counselor? If the latter, I esp. question her going as far as to make determinations of any "disorder" or suggest meds.

As for "acute stress disorder," frankly I think it's yet another term psychologists have dreamed up for what are simply common, understandable feelings given the circumstances, not some "disorder." Here's a definition I found of this thing:

Acute Stress Disorder is characterized by the development of severe anxiety, dissociative, and other symptoms that occurs within one month after exposure to an extreme traumatic stressor (e.g., witnessing a death or serious accident). As a response to the traumatic event, the individual develops dissociative symptoms. Individuals with Acute Stress Disorder have a decrease in emotional responsiveness, often finding it difficult or impossible to experience pleasure in previously enjoyable activities, and frequently feel guilty about pursuing usual life tasks.

A person with Acute Stress Disorder may experience difficulty concentrating, feel detached from their bodies, experience the world as unreal or dreamlike, or have increasing difficulty recalling specific details of the traumatic event (dissociative amnesia)

I think I can safely say a LOT of people suffering through a loss experience this to one degree or other, and often a great deal, in that first month or so. In other words, it's normal, not a "disorder." For Godssake, it's only been a month. You're VERY early in this. Of course you feel like you're going nuts and an emotional wreck or numb/etc.

As for suggesting meds, well that's nothing new as so many psychologists/etc hand them out like candy nowdays.....and let me quickly add that it may very well be something to try; I'm not suggesting otherwise. Only that you exercise caution and get (at least) one more opinion from a qualified professional.

I hope none of this came out wrong and apologies if so. I've just seen too many alleged experts who cross the line and/or don't even know what they're talking about...again just suggest caution w/the meds...best to you!

Archived