Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

The wedding of a parentless child.

Boycee

• Members

Hello there. September of 2011 I lost my mother suddenly & just forty days later my dad passed away from Cancer. There's not a day that goes by that I don't think of them, i'm sure I don't have to explain this to anyone reading. I have a couple of things i've been having a hard time with. I'm 26yo. & in the spring of this year the love of my life proposed. Of course I said yes! I'm TRYING so hard to be happy & I truly am happy with him. But there's a saddness that i'll never be able to share this day with the two people I want to share it with the most. It almost killed me to buy a dress without my mother. I have so many people who love me in my life, and I'm very aware of that. As much as I can tell them I wish my mother could be here, I don't think they can truly understand the depth of my sorrow. & the more things I get planned & booked the more I question would my mother like this? I don't know how to let go of this saddness I carry about it. I want to enjoy this wedding more then anything i've ever wanted. My fiance and I have done small things to keep my parents involved with the wedding, my mother loves christmas soo soo much so we're having chistmas balls as the favors done in our wedding colours & one of the colours is my dad's cancer ribbon colour. But how do I keep this day about the happy with so much saddness in my heart? My husband to be deserves this so much.

Attached is the dress I bought, it reminded me so much of my mother.post-306697-0-46643700-1354657116_thumb.

• Members

Ultimately only you can decide to let this day be about you and your love. I would take sometime before the wedding to remember my parents, or even in a speech give them the recognition for helping you become the person you are today. I would focus on the fact that they would want this day to be special for you and to be about your happiness. Remember, this is the beginning of a brad new life together with your love and honour them by allowing yourself to live life fully including being present and living your special day to the fullest.

• Members

Hi there the dress is real pretty and I am sure you will look lovely. I would just like to say do not forget that you are made of your Mum and Dad and as such they will be with you for all your life. I know that at times I go to do something and I think Mum would say this or Dad would say that, in this way our parent are with us. I do not know your spiritual beliefs but I find great comfort in believing that my parents are aware of what is happening in my life, I know that if I was getting married they would be their in spirit and in me. It is a wonderful day in your life allow yourself to enjoy and be happy, no sadness, they would not want that for you. Your Mum and Dad want you to be happy, no parent ever wanted anything else for their children especially on their wedding day. God bless you and have a wonderful happy day in their memory.

Archived