Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I lost my dad a week ago

Iamsobroken

• Members

My dad died at the age of 49. He was an alcoholic and I've been distancing myself because I've seen him declining the past couple years and I couldn't watch him die. But now I feel so guilty I didn't get a chance to tell him how much I love him and I'm sorry I wasn't there for him. I'm so sad and even though we've buried him I can't believe it. I just want to be able to talk to him one last time. I don't know how to cope. How can I get through this?

• Members

I don't know a good answer for you, but I can tell you that your dad probably knew in his heart how much you loved him and that I believe he is in a place of perfect peace now. I think a lot of the time regret of what we didn't do or say makes it hard for us in our grief. I lost my dad this summer and even though I got to say what I needed to it doesn't make it any easier to let go and move on. I have a picture of my dad up and sometimes I talk to it, perhaps you can do that and tell your dad what you wanted to say. I lost a grandfather to serosis of the liver, due to alcohol and it is not easy to see someone die like that. I am sorry for your loss, both of your dad's passing, and of the time lost with your dad due to the disease of alcoholism. I hope you have the support of friends and family at this time. I know it is hard but try and remember the positive things, the special times you had in life with your Dad and cling to those memories rather than dwell on what might have been.

Karebear

Archived