Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Humor Relieves Stress

UnderHis Wings

• Members
UnderHis Wings

My husband had a great sense of humor. It was one of the qualities people loved most about him.

Right after my husband passed away, the children started telling me which of his family heirlooms they wanted. And they all wanted the same items. I was saddened. When one of the adult children asked who I would give the prized item to, I quipped, "The one who loves me the most." She bought me a coffee mug today. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

post-298943-0-60214800-1348863453_thumb.

• Moderators

Why is it that things can be so funny one minute and really sad the next?

Because life is crazy.

Did you know that my husband dug cemeteries?

I assume you don't mean literally......

• Members
UnderHis Wings

I assume you don't mean literally......

He liked them and he dug graves when he was in high school.

• Members

my husband also had a good sense of humor...we tended to play off each other with it...one of us starting a comment, the other picking it up and running with it...I miss that so much... the starting of something and the other finishing it was a part of us... I've noticed a few/many of you here have said things like "we didn't socialize much; we were happy just being with each other." This is how Mike and I were...I retired in Feb of 08 and he retired in Dec of 08...we had "plans" to do this and that, but just seemed content to stay at home and be with each other. We finally took a 3,000 mile auto trip last October/November to visit family and friends from here (NH) down through VA, Mississippi, back up through VA, ending up spending 6 days in a hotel on Virginia Beach and had the most wonderful trip ever...a week after we came home, we found out he had pancreatic cancer. What a gift that trip was...3,000 miles together in his truck...we had 5 or 6 books on cd's that we had planned to listen to while on the road...we never even took them out of the bag...every day, every mile, we found stuff to talk about, joke about, look at...I have so many good memories of that trip, but right now thinking about them hurts so much...I am thankful, but in so much pain at the same time.

Carol

• Members
UnderHis Wings

Carol, I know what you mean about beautiful memories and then wanting to cry.

• Members

My husband and I shared the same sense of dark sick humor. John and I also liked cemetaries. We have many historical cemetaries here and we used to go read tombstones. Some of them were hysterical. Later, he liked to take pictures in the cemetary he's burried in now. Some of his photos may be in thier catalogue. I wonder if that qualifies us as ghouls.

Since it's Oct. maybe I'll find one to haunt!

Realligning my Broom,

Mandala

• Moderators

We didn't have a dark sense of humour for the most part, but there are things that only I and her would ever find funny - circumstantial stuff, mostly, like " you hadda be there" things.

Archived