Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Just lost my Dad

krisrach

• Members

My Daddy turned 57 last Friday July 20, 2012. My 8 year old son and 4 year old daughter spent the night with my parents. My son and Dad slept in the guest bedroom because they stayed up until 2 am playing Wii. My daughter went and got in the bed with them at 6 am Sat morning and my Mom asked him if he wanted to come get in the bed with her. He told her no, I want to snuggle with my grandbabies. My children got up and were watching cartoons and it was getting rather late for my Dad to still be sleeping (11AM) so my mom went to see why he wasn't up. She couldn't wake him up...she called my Aunt (Dad's sister) who lives 5 mins away and then 911, but Daddy was gone. I live an hour away so Mom called my fiance and he came home from work and took me there. The funeral home guys were there but they hadn't taken Daddy out yet, so I got to see him. He looked just like he was sleeping, on his side with his hand folded under his chin. I kissed him once again and told him I loved him. Then my fiance and my cousin helped the funeral home workers put my daddy on the stretcher. We burried him Tuesday. I have cried, but I haven't totally lost it yet. This is still a shock to me. I feel numb. My Dad is a cancer survior 2 times and recently had some heart problems. Daddy also had a lot of other health problems such as high blood pressure, diabetes, and Chron's disease so my Mom chose not to do an autopsy on him. I keep telling myself that his heart stopped but I don't really know what happened. None of us do. I feel kinda like if I could know it could give me some closure, but knowing what caused it won't bring him back. I'm just grateful he went peacefully in his sleep and his grandchildren got to spend his last few moments with him.

• Members

My Daddy turned 57 last Friday July 20, 2012. My 8 year old son and 4 year old daughter spent the night with my parents. My son and Dad slept in the guest bedroom because they stayed up until 2 am playing Wii. My daughter went and got in the bed with them at 6 am Sat morning and my Mom asked him if he wanted to come get in the bed with her. He told her no, I want to snuggle with my grandbabies. My children got up and were watching cartoons and it was getting rather late for my Dad to still be sleeping (11AM) so my mom went to see why he wasn't up. She couldn't wake him up...she called my Aunt (Dad's sister) who lives 5 mins away and then 911, but Daddy was gone. I live an hour away so Mom called my fiance and he came home from work and took me there. The funeral home guys were there but they hadn't taken Daddy out yet, so I got to see him. He looked just like he was sleeping, on his side with his hand folded under his chin. I kissed him once again and told him I loved him. Then my fiance and my cousin helped the funeral home workers put my daddy on the stretcher. We burried him Tuesday. I have cried, but I haven't totally lost it yet. This is still a shock to me. I feel numb. My Dad is a cancer survior 2 times and recently had some heart problems. Daddy also had a lot of other health problems such as high blood pressure, diabetes, and Chron's disease so my Mom chose not to do an autopsy on him. I keep telling myself that his heart stopped but I don't really know what happened. None of us do. I feel kinda like if I could know it could give me some closure, but knowing what caused it won't bring him back. I'm just grateful he went peacefully in his sleep and his grandchildren got to spend his last few moments with him.

Krisrach,

I am so sorry about the loss of your father. You are right, it doesn't matter really what happened does it? You cannot change what is, and I know it is so difficult to just accept that you may never know. Your mother sounds like she made a good choice because of his health issues.

We will be here for you,

ModKonnie

Archived