Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

mom

debbie8800

• Members

I haven't been on here in a while. I am getting better. Its 6 months since mom passed at 87. I love her dearly and was at the cemetary yesterday talking with her for a while. I came back 2 times. lol I felt peace and contentment there.

I am trying to schedule a trip to scotland at the end of the summer or beg of fall. The trip will be bittersweet, when i hear those accents but i feel like i fit in better with british people i was raised by them.

Anyway mom you are so close to my heart and i want to explore scotland. I know you came to america at 21 when scotland ws being bombed. You were a very giving, loving mother and i wish you were still here. I feel very lonely

without you still. It is less so but still intense.

I have to get on without you but you walk beside me now and i want to go to scotland for a month and feel that british presence again. Love your daughter Deborah.

Hope everyone is healing. I will pray for all who have lost someone they love. Nameste ~~~

• Members

Debbie,

It is wonderful to hear a good report from you. I am glad you are planning your trip. It is nice to hear that you are getting better. Is it time that is helping? Are you doing anything different? How is the job? School?

Nameste,

ModKonnie

• Members

Debbie, I agree with Konnie. It is so nice to see you so upbeat. I think this upcoming holiday you have planned is terrific. It is interesting to hear you talk about WW II and the number of people that moved to America. Where in Scotland was your family from? My husband's family are from Aberdeen and MacDuff. Apparently the Luftwaffe bombed Scotland approximately 500 times in air raids. Peterhead was in a geographical position as the first urban area they saw as they attacked the UK from Norway. Scotlands main interest to Hitler was the strategic naval anchorages.

Pm me any time to talk about your plans. I can give you tons of places to visit. Look forward to hearing from you.

Kate

• Members

To Kate: So nice to hear from you. i will be getting my ticket sometime in august. Mom was from glasgow and others from england and edinburgh. I guess i will fly into edinburgh, find a place to stay not too expensive i hope. lol rent a car from budget and settle in then take a ride down to england after im settled. I will be alone and a bit nervous about it. Moms family is all but passed. I may have a few cousins over there not sure. Hopefully will make some friends and just see if i like it there.

Aberdeen looks nice, Glasgow looks hectic, lol Mom was one of 5 actually only one aunt alive aunt jean the baracuda, lol she is 92. I know UK has a craigslist also. There are suburbs of glasgow, just not sure yet. need to investigate more.

Mod Konnie: Nice to hear from you, I am out of the masters program for the summer. last semester was horrible remember? lol I also took a 17 week course in being a teachers aid online to make some extra money. I love working with kids. I also got a 6 week certificate for youth mentoring i just completed.

I am set for a breast implant to be started on june 27 finally yeah, wish me well on this. i had a breast lump removed 14 years ago...

Hope both you ladies are doing well and god bless, oh yes time has helped for 1 and i am in a grief support group and go to a bible study. The grief support group is priceless people with bigger problems and losses than your own are there and we all share and then hold hands and prey at the end. Father Carey is a presbyterian paster.

night ladies, have to get to bed. Debbie

• Members

yes kate i will be looking for lodging for a month or two in scotland. any ideas, something not too expensive, thats a joke right lol

I don't know weather to fly into dundee, glasgow or edinburgh, then i have to get a rental car and a place for the night. Any ideas again will be helpful.

• Members

Debbie, thanks for your message. Actually the time to go to Scotland if you can swing it is for the MIlitary Tattoo and Festival in Edinburgh during August. There is a wealth of things to do and so many exciting activities to see. But you have to book ions in advance to get a hotel room, etc. Yes, there is a huge expanse of beach on the coast of Ayr which is off of the Firth of Clyde. Our family lives in MacDuff in Banffshire. It is off of the North Sea about half way between Aberdeen and Inverness....right on the coast. It is joined to another town call Banff. It is a beautifull fishing town on a hill that overlooks the sea. There are many small and quaint houses and shops. We usually fly into Edinburgh and rent a car and then drive through the Grampian Mountains. The scenery is spectacular. We have always enjoyed our time spent in Scotland and look forward to our visits. I will definitely be happy to give you some ideas of places to check out when you know if you are actually going. It is a beautiful country and well worth the visit. Talk to you soon.

Kate

• Members

been missing mom today, just got home from bible study, was an interesting evening, whenever politics are involved, you have heated debates.

Kate: I won''t havve the money to order the ticket till august 19, and then i think it may be late, sept will be cold, perhaps i should order the ticket for the following spring or summer, unless sept would be suitable, Not sure. I think you need a two week advance notice for a discount.

Instead of the tour i may just look for a monthly rental south of glasgow not sure. Budget rental car may be the cheapest i guess. I spoke to a woman from ireland today and she told me about the august ffestival. I want to visit leeds and liverpool england, maybe wales and ireland. In the long run with the bad weather i still may end up in florida for some time as well because the irish lady told me the weather is quite poor most of the time, lot of rain which may be depressing not sure.

I always had a house ful of scots growing up and they were wonderful.

Debbie

Archived