Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Wish I could go back 30 years

Carol Klotz

• Members
Carol Klotz

In 1992 I got married. I thought I would share my old age with my husband happily. No such luck. He died in 2017 and I was left alone. A social worker decided I should go to assisted living and not knowing any different, I did. Big mistake. I lost all the possessions in my apartment: my bed, my furniture, my car, and alot of sentimental items from my parents house that I will never replace. The assisted living place closed in 2021 due to COVID, and I had to go to another assisted living place that was pure hell. I lasted 3 months there until my therapist could see how bad it was and she took me into her own place until a local service organization put me up in a motel for 2 months until they found an apartment for me.

Two years later, I'm still there. I've been in the hospital a couple of times: I kept falling when I tried to walk and they did 2 spinal surgeries including a lumbar fusion. I thought I would be able to walk again. Wrong. I tried for months in a rehab and am now in a wheelchair. I prefer that to a walker, because I had trouble with balance and falling as a result. So now I'm stuck alone in this apartment, at least now I can have a cat again, and I need an aide to come in a couple of days a week because I can't bend over to the floor. Quite a change from just a few years ago, when I enjoyed doing yoga. I also had chest pain, had a cardiac cath, and found out I had coronary artery disease with angina as well as type 2 diabetes.

I am very lonely, and since this is not my hometown, don't know anyone to be friends with or talk to. It's been years since I've been to a restaurant or gone on vacation to the beach, things I used to look forward to. It seems I have nothing and no one to look forward to anymore. I have no family: my parents are dead and I have no siblings.

I need to talk to people who can relate to this and maybe have some answers on how to have some kind of life after becoming a widow.

Is anyone out there? Please, please help!

• Sad 2
  • Hugs 4

• Moderators

Keep coming on here, it helps to have that daily connection.  I am still living in the same home I've been in 47 years but it's in the snowy mountains with lots of trees and wildfires in the summer (now that the USFS is handling things differently).  It presents opposite challenges, my carport is falling down, the shop is toast, and I'm in the middle of trying to get a contractor up to fix the electrical room with water tank and pipes and freezer.  I've spent a week clearing out the carport on the other side of it's wall, which meant I needed to go through, sort, and organize it, a huge challenge with my 16 hand injuries and 10% loss of strength.  I understand your challenges as I have my own, people don't see mine but they're there.🥰

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
HisMunchkin

Hi Carol!  Welcome to the board!  I am so sorry for your loss, and all that you have had to endure.  Please do stay and chat with us?  Did you end up getting a cat?

• Like 2

• Members
Carol Klotz

Actually I've had at least one cat, sometimes as many as 6, between 1979 and 2017. Then I was not allowed to have one until I had my own place again in 2022. I adopted him from the local shelter, he is a 4 year old black cat named Tully, and he is a real sweetheart!

• Like 4

• Members
HisMunchkin
20 minutes ago, Carol Klotz said:

Actually I've had at least one cat, sometimes as many as 6, between 1979 and 2017. Then I was not allowed to have one until I had my own place again in 2022. I adopted him from the local shelter, he is a 4 year old black cat named Tully, and he is a real sweetheart!

Awww.... 😍  I'm actually allergic to cats, but I do like them.  I love the cute noises that they make! 🥰  Is he social?  Some cats are quite distant, but some cats seem more "sticky".  As much as a dog sometimes!

• Like 2

• Members
Carol Klotz

Believe it or not, I am allergic to cats also. I didn't know it until I had allergy testing some years ago. To compensate I take Allegra which is a 24 hour allergy pill every day, and use an air purifier which is especially for pet allergies. In addition, Purina Pro Plan makes a line called LIVECLEAR, which is a cat food that removes a high percentage of the allergen from cat dander. I haven't tried it myself yet, but I've read reviews of people who use it and say it's very effective. So don't think because you're allergic to cats you can't have one!

• Like 3

• Members
HisMunchkin

You're allergic to cats too? 😄  That Liveclear stuff sounds interesting.  I was slightly allergic to my "hypoallergenic" (late) dog when I first brought her home.  She whined and whined and my eyes were all watery.  I was sneezing, had a runny, then clogged up nose, and even had some rashes on my face.  I didn't get any sleep until I finally relented and let her on my bed.  Then, she suddenly quieted down and had slept with me every night for the rest of her life.  Meanwhile, my allergies subsided day by day without having to take an antihistamine.  Maybe my body adapted?  Not sure.  I LOVE those munchkin, bun-face cats!  They are SOOOOOOOO cUUUUUUte!!!!!!! 😍

• Like 2

• Members
HisMunchkin

So I tried to look for munchkin bun-face cats, and it seems that they are rare.  This was the only photo I was able to find:

af63964212b1c08a303c9abf5f0d8360.jpg

But all munchkin cats are cute with their stubby legs, and all bun-faced cats are cute with their bun faces. 🥰

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
Sparky1
1 hour ago, Carol Klotz said:

Believe it or not, I am allergic to cats also

Sadly, I'm also allergic to cats and I did get tested for it. I can't even be in the same room as them, I start getting all itchy like crazy. We did have a couple of dogs over the years but they were hypoallergenic though. 

• Like 3

• Moderators

I've read the hairless dogs don't cause allergies.  There are also hairless cats.

• Like 2

• Members
Sparky1

I'm not too fond of hairless  dogs Kay 😂 We had a shitzu and a shipoo both had like a fur, unlike other dogs that have little hairs. They were supposed to be more hypoallergenic than other dogs. My brother had a pug and when his son was born, his son was allergic to it really bad, and he had to give it away to a friend.

• Like 3

• Members
Carol Klotz
3 hours ago, HisMunchkin said:

Awww.... 😍  I'm actually allergic to cats, but I do like them.  I love the cute noises that they make! 🥰  Is he social?  Some cats are quite distant, but some cats seem more "sticky".  As much as a dog sometimes!

It's kind of amusing that when a stranger comes in the house, you never know whether my  cat is going to stay around and greet them or run for the bedroom to hide under the bed! Women visitors he is more social with, whereas male visitors will cause him to run for the bedroom.

• Like 2

• Members
Carol Klotz
57 minutes ago, Sparky1 said:

I'm not too fond of hairless  dogs Kay 😂 We had a shitzu and a shipoo both had like a fur, unlike other dogs that have little hairs. They were supposed to be more hypoallergenic than other dogs. My brother had a pug and when his son was born, his son was allergic to it really bad, and he had to give it away to a friend.

It is possible to go to a doctor who specializes in allergies and get desensitized to your particular dog or cat's dander. You have to go back to their office every few weeks. But it does work, unfortunately just for your dog/cat. Not the neighbor's.

• Like 4

• Members
Carol Klotz
1 hour ago, Sparky1 said:

I think it's something about a dog or cat's fur that makes them lovable, they are our "furbabies". And just sitting and petting them seems to relax them and me.

• Like 4

• Moderators

Mine has plenty of fur to pet, but he's adorable!  Here he is just six months old, he got a lot more tail feathers before he was done growing!  conceived when my Arlie died and born on my birthday, the name Kodie popped into my head the first time I saw his picture...guess what his tag said when my son brought him to me!

Kodie 050520 sm.jpg

• Like 4

• Members
HisMunchkin
23 hours ago, Carol Klotz said:

It's kind of amusing that when a stranger comes in the house, you never know whether my  cat is going to stay around and greet them or run for the bedroom to hide under the bed! Women visitors he is more social with, whereas male visitors will cause him to run for the bedroom.

Maybe he doesn't like men?  My last dog hated men (except my husband), but were o.k. around women.  I think they can smell the difference.

21 hours ago, KayC said:

Mine has plenty of fur to pet, but he's adorable!  Here he is just six months old, he got a lot more tail feathers before he was done growing!  conceived when my Arlie died and born on my birthday, the name Kodie popped into my head the first time I saw his picture...guess what his tag said when my son brought him to me!

Kodie 050520 sm.jpg

😍!!!!!!!!!

Did it say Kodie?  I can't read it.  He had longer hair!

• Hugs 2

• Members
Carol Klotz
1 hour ago, HisMunchkin said:

Maybe he doesn't like men?  My last dog hated men (except my husband), but were o.k. around women.  I think they can smell the difference.

You could be right. My thought was that they sound different. I may have read somewhere that cats like women because they have high pitched voices, and so are more like cats. 

• Like 3

• Moderators

He has more fur now and it's very long, especially the tail feathers. His is much longer than mine!

• Like 2

• Members
Carol Klotz
17 hours ago, HisMunchkin said:

I think Kodie is adorable!

😍!!!!!!!!!

Did it say Kodie?  I can't read it.  He had longer hair!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
HisMunchkin

Wait, I think I found out.  They're called "British Shorthair"! 😍

• Like 2

• Moderators

So cute.  This morning I found Panther laying right outside my patio door, all curled up, his tail tucked between his legs, he looked so sweet!

• Like 2

• Members
On 4/30/2024 at 2:36 PM, HisMunchkin said:

Wait, I think I found out.  They're called "British Shorthair"! 😍

looked at "British Shorthair" cats ... there's a line called "Munchkin"  😄  British Shorthair Munchkin Cat - Search Images (bing.com)

and I think these are really cute, called "Scottish Fold Munchkin."   Scottish Fold Munchkin Kittens - 15 Pictures for You to Love (boneandyarn.com)

• Thanks 1

• Members
HisMunchkin
2 hours ago, Boggled said:

looked at "British Shorthair" cats ... there's a line called "Munchkin"  😄  British Shorthair Munchkin Cat - Search Images (bing.com)

and I think these are really cute, called "Scottish Fold Munchkin."   Scottish Fold Munchkin Kittens - 15 Pictures for You to Love (boneandyarn.com)

😍😍😍!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1