Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Music you listen to now

widower2

• Moderators
widower2

Sort of an offshoot of the pinned music thread, but curious about going beyond that and please, refrain from listing links to specific artists or songs or this will become another long list of youtube videos which I prefer to avoid as we already have a pinned thread for that :)

I don't mean music that brings back memories or is meaningful in that way, but more just how your musical tastes are since the loss outside of those kind of songs......generally the same? Totally different? Something in between? 

For me it's a mix. I listen to some things more that we never did as our tastes were somewhat different, and really the loss itself has changed my tastes independent of that...for ex I listen to more New Age. I never got into this before much, but it has a kind of meditative feel to it, esp as background music, which resonates with me more now somehow. 

• Like 3

• Members
Rey Dominguez Jr

Understand what you are asking.  

I like a lot of New Age music every now and then.  When our sons and daughter-in-law are over I change Pandora over to 70’s and 80’s rock music.  They enjoy it as did Veronica, specially when the kids or our good friends were over.  

But ever since Veronica went to sleep, it seems I am fixated on Hawaiian Islander music on Pandora.  I don’t know why.  Perhaps because going to the islands was to have been our last big travel adventure in the last week of April, then her kidney function went into the dirt and we had to cancel everything.  We lived in Hawaii for the first two years of our married life.  Wanted to treat her one more time before we couldn’t anymore.  

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
widower2

Interesting, I get that appeal........

• Like 1

• Members

My music tastes haven't changed but I no longer have my playlists of songs playing in the house anymore. Those playlists of various eclectic tunes drum up way too many memories of our leisure time together. Instead, I now put on these generic, soft loungey mix of tunes that I find on Youtube..."coffee house jazz" and "summer breeze bossa nova". All of it instrumental meant for some quiet background to break the silence. 

But my huge interest in music still prevails and I'll spend evenings searching and listening to various offerings from my many Youtube channel subscriptions. I keep delving into music of my past and now go deeper into the profiles of musicians who created it. I've found a need to surround myself with tunes from the 1960s to the early 1980s when life had yet to put its hurtful claws into me.

• Like 3

• Members
HisMunchkin

My taste in music hasn't changed either.  But then again, I haven't been listening to music much.  If I had to listen to something, I would prefer something soothing (i.e., no heavy metal, punk, rap, etc.), and nothing sad.  Classical is always welcome.

• Like 2

• Moderators
widower2

I go towards classical and new age more often now because I don't really have to "listen" to them, it's background music and relaxing, not obtrusive. They should play that in the stores instead of the crap they often play IMO.

• Like 2

• Moderators

It's hard for me to listen to our music, which everything was back then...miss my CD changer in my old car.  My kids called it "Mom's sound track!"  :D  Now I just listen to the radio which doesn't come in at home.  I have a drawer full of cassette tapes, never listen to, too hard to listen to, too hard to get rid of, like most of us...

• Like 2

• Members
foreverhis

My taste in music was already so eclectic that I can’t say it’s changed. But there are specific things that are still too painful to listen to and might be for the rest of my life.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
widower2

Yeah I think many of us have that, certain songs or maybe even whole artists it's just hard to listen. I listen to many different things too which does help give me more options, but the degree that I listen to diff genres has changed. Frankly I never thought I'd get as into new age as I did (though it's eased off somewhat over time). 

• Like 2

• Members

I have shied away from the music thread as music can easily bring up heavy emotions for me.  We both grew up listening to 80’s rock and I still love to listen to that.  Even the good stuff from the 60’s and 70’s.  I like some new age, some old pop, classical and just all around happy music.  Toward the end of my husband’s life he was really listening to dark, angry music.  I 100% stay away from stuff like that.  It’s such a trigger for me…

his death was such a trauma for me that all media…movies, music, tv, news, books,  social media etc. I try to keep in the realm of calm and non violent.  

Just like it’s been difficult assimilating back into regular life,  I find a disconnect to today’s music scene.  I go back to what is comfortable or listen to instrumental.  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
JonathanFive

Country...   "All country!!"  So much country..

• Hugs 2

• Members
foreverhis
4 hours ago, widower2 said:

Yeah I think many of us have that, certain songs or maybe even whole artists it's just hard to listen.

I would imagine that's true.  For me, much of the "can't take it" music relates to specific things John and I performed/played together or individually, while the other sat proudly in the audience.  But there are also songs meaningful to us for other reasons that are too difficult to consider for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, JonathanFive said:

Country...   "All country!!"  So much country..

I have always loved country. My dad would turn over in his grave though at what we call country nowadays.

• Like 1

• Moderators
widower2

lol Kay - yeah, most "country" now is just pop music wearing a cowboy hat. :)  That doesn't mean it's bad per se, but - well, generally speaking, I think various genres of music if not music in general has been in decline for some time now. But I won't get on that soapbox!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Members
JonathanFive

Just to clarify, "90s country."

• Like 2

• Members

My tastes haven't changed, but songs that once sparked a natural joy response, I can't listen to anymore. The former spontaneous happy feeling is gone. I just switch the song because the "happy" music vibe feels fake & forced now. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1