Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Change or stay the course?

DWS

• Members
35 minutes ago, shawnt said:

It's the sentimental things that feel like she is being erased, getting rid of her mini-van, clearing her drawers, replanting her garden that sting the most. But stuff like retirement and finishing our cabin leave me baffled because I am becoming someone new and I don't know that guy very well yet . I have found that there are some things I absolutely loved to do with her that I actually don't like to do alone or with anyone else for that matter. I know it's not rational but when I experience that I feel like I am betraying her or her memory.

The fear of erasing them from memory is a biggie with me. The passage of time keeps trying. I still haven't been able to get back out for long walks yet. That's one of the changes that I'm going to try to make now that better weather is back but without him by my side, I know it's not going to be easy for me. I keep trying to look for paths where we never walked.

• Like 4

• Members
39 minutes ago, LMR said:

I long for my old home, the familiarity of everyday surroundings. My grief journey is not going well. I'm not exactly in denial but I have this overwhelming lack of understanding of what death is. Nobody knows of course but I have this really strong feeling that I have missed something important. 

It's so unfortunate that all of this happened all at once for you. You likely weren't able to get enough time getting acquainted and accustomed to your husband's absence in your everyday world. Your lack of understanding likely comes from having everything taken away so death feels like a total obliteration of everything familiar. For those of us who didn't have such great change, we have had to learn to cope and adapt with the silence and the ghosts of our pasts in our familiar surroundings and I suppose that really does help us gain acceptance eventually. 

• Like 3

• Members
2 minutes ago, DWS said:

You likely weren't able to get enough time getting acquainted and accustomed to your husband's absence in your everyday world. Your lack of understanding likely comes from having everything taken away so death feels like a total obliteration of everything familiar. 

I hadn't really thought of it in those terms but you are right. Sometimes it feels like my whole life never existed.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
Boggled

such a good question, DWS, 

that phrase "stay the course" is where I'm at ... and the phrase itself is a bit laudatory, eh?  rather than "stay stuck in the mud,"  🙂 for instance.

I agree with LMR too:  

36 minutes ago, LMR said:

All I can say is it is easier to make a change than to undo it afterwards so think very carefully.

well MAYBE it's a matter of "time" but I'm still and may for at least a long time, or maybe all the rest of my life, just not change things as much as possible.

It came up with the coffee pot again, in my head.  A 12-cup coffee pot for one person for one day ... wouldn't it be better to have a smaller coffee pot with a smaller block of coffee grounds in a narrower diameter, (or maybe a cone shape) that the water would go through more effectively ... but I'm NOT doing it ... yet.  Will this coffee pot last forever?  or maybe the next 20 years?  Dunno!   

• Like 4

• Members
13 minutes ago, Boggled said:

that phrase "stay the course" is where I'm at ... and the phrase itself is a bit laudatory, eh?  rather than "stay stuck in the mud,"  🙂 for instance.

Okay....that got me crying. All along, I've been thinking I've been stuck but the "course" was changed and that's why I'm lost. Staying the course is putting trust in the path ahead. Making some crazy change because of this agitation would put a screw in that (and maybe not a pleasant one). 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

• Members
Boggled

I got this from the library:  Microshelters: 59 Creative Cabins, Tiny Houses, Tree Houses, and Other Small Structures: Diedricksen, Derek: 9781612123530: Amazon.com: Books

and something in me is really enjoying just going through the pages, looking at all the different kinds of mini shelters.  We have a semi-finished half-a-shed that WE were going to make into a red-light spa using infrared bulbs ... we had a nice carpenter who bought a bunch of cedar fence boards to line it with ... well, never happened.  But I sort of dream a little.

Could it be this part of me enjoying the book and doing the dreaming, is a part that's getting ready to "break loose," "start a new life," change?   change myself?  shift over to another aspect of "me?"  all I can say, (that's a great phrase, "all I can say," isn't it?  because it's tentatively making a small statement while tacitly admitting I don't know ANYTHING) is, I'm enjoying the book.  

• Like 2

• Members
Boggled
10 minutes ago, DWS said:

Okay....that got me crying. All along, I've been thinking I've been stuck but the "course" was changed and that's why I'm lost. Staying the course is putting trust in the path ahead. Making some crazy change because of this agitation would put a screw in that (and maybe not a pleasant one). 

so what you're saying is it's good to stay the course?  and because you're agitated(?) you might make a mistake?  by going off-course?  or 

the course was changed ... and that's why you're lost ... 

but if the course was changed, HOW could we "stay the course" when the course itself has changed?  

I was reading "stay the course" as "hold on to the memories and just keep on keeping on as much as possible the same way/life we were doing before our loved one died.  

Though WITH huge sorrow, WITHOUT their comfort and support and PRESENCE ... 

One thing I've been doing IN MY HEAD lately is just remembering HIM and remembering HOW I FELT "before."

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
HisMunchkin

My husband's passing was a profound change for me.  It caused not just ripples, but more like a tsunami of rearrangements (/disorder) to my subjective world.  So whatever I don't have to change for the time being, I won't change.  Too much change in a short period of time can be really stressful, especially if it involves letting go of something that had sentimental value.  

My husband was also my constant.  The "outside" world could turn upside down but "our" world was stable, if that makes any sense.  Good changes were enjoyable when he was here.  We worked on our garden together and did the "landscaping" ourselves.  Granted, we were extreme novices so the end result wasn't exactly great, but the process was enjoyable.  Now, just about every shrub and perennial in our yard reminds me of our time planting them.  Kind of bitter-sweet.  Then there are bad changes, like the pandemic, which was made much more bearable and much less scary with him by my side.  Looking back, if he wasn't with me during those years, I would've been driven mad.  Instead, I felt safe and secure.  So, given that he's gone now, changes are much less pleasant for me, at least at this point in time.

1 hour ago, shawnt said:

I have found that there are some things I absolutely loved to do with her that I actually don't like to do alone or with anyone else for that matter.

I have those too.

1 hour ago, LMR said:

I'm not exactly in denial but I have this overwhelming lack of understanding of what death is. Nobody knows of course but I have this really strong feeling that I have missed something important. It's like trying to do algebra when you've missed the lesson on multiplication. There is a big glaring gap.

I'm not sure if your experience of "overwhelming lack of understanding of what death is" is the same as mine, but I often find myself wondering, "Where did he go?  Why isn't he here anymore?" often accompanied by a sense of agitation as if stuck on finding the solution to a puzzle.  Does that sound like something you experience?  

• Like 4

• Moderators
1 hour ago, widower2 said:

I don't think (generally speaking) people should make any big changes (moving, dating, etc) for at least a year if not more

Or five, just  my experience...for what it's worth.  If you must financially, you must.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

• Members
1 hour ago, Boggled said:

so what you're saying is it's good to stay the course?  and because you're agitated(?) you might make a mistake?  by going off-course?  or 

the course was changed ... and that's why you're lost ... 

but if the course was changed, HOW could we "stay the course" when the course itself has changed?  

I was reading "stay the course" as "hold on to the memories and just keep on keeping on as much as possible the same way/life we were doing before our loved one died.  

Sorry....I'm thinking of the course as the journey of my life. Tom's death changed the course...or the direction of it. "Staying the course" puts me on a trajectory unknown (even though in actuality, the path I was on before he passed away was unknown as well...familiar and comfortable as it was). I guess what I'm saying is that I'll keep with it and trust it rather than try to find my way back to where I was. This definitely makes sense of my disinterest in socializing and reconnecting with a circle of friends. And that could change down the road as well but it's the forcing of myself to get back to where I was that keeps causing distress and aggravation. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
48 minutes ago, HisMunchkin said:

I'm not sure if your experience of "overwhelming lack of understanding of what death is" is the same as mine, but I often find myself wondering, "Where did he go?  Why isn't he here anymore?" often accompanied by a sense of agitation as if stuck on finding the solution to a puzzle.  Does that sound like something you experience?   

I went through strong moments like that for months and months...confused and asking "why were you taken from me?" It's not quite like that now for me but there still are moments where my memory of him brings him so close that I again stare at his chair...picturing him there in such a clear view...and wonder those questions. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
HisMunchkin
7 hours ago, LMR said:

I do wonder just that. It seems impossible for him to no longer exist. That feeling of agitation and even panic is what I feel too. I'm always searching for the solution.

Same.  You are not alone! 💝 

• Like 3

• Moderators

I never knew your names...Jill and Bob, I like that. ☺️

• Moderators

My primroses made it through the winter and bloomed during the snows, I need to buy some begonias and pansies and irises and plant them.

• Like 3

• Moderators

If only people "trying to help" would not give them friendly advice about how to do this!  We all find our own way in our own time but their pushing us into something is not helpful. 🥺

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
Boggled
On 3/19/2024 at 10:56 PM, DWS said:

It reminded me of how at peace I was when I was with him. It's also a reminder to me that he'll always be with me as I plod forward in whatever direction I end up going.

This, the memories of feeling complete, at peace, supported, being part of a whole, and LOVED, this will always be with me, too, no matter if I plod or run down the wrong path, memories will be there until I die, and throughout this remaining life I am in now.   Maybe after I die, too.  Every day, at some point in time, I say "I MISS YOU!" ... to the air around me, because I still miss HIM and it's EMOTIONAL (do we understand emotions?  Emotions and "understanding" don't quite mix!  and emotions are deeper than "understanding," I THINK).

• Like 3

• Members
HisMunchkin
43 minutes ago, Boggled said:

the memories of feeling complete, at peace, supported, being part of a whole, and LOVED, this will always be with me

It's interesting you say that, and I wonder, when you say "memories of feeling...", do you actually recapture those feelings or do you remember in a third person's point of view?  For me, the memories are more of the latter.  I find that I am forgetting what it used to feel like, subjectively speaking.  Or am unable to recapture those feelings, even when I imagine those times with him.

• Like 2

• Members
Boggled
46 minutes ago, HisMunchkin said:

do you actually recapture those feelings or do you remember in a third person's point of view?

I guess I'd say I recapture those feelings.  

In my head, I am always "I," never "she."  To me, the idea of remembering in a third person's point of view is quite odd.  

But it does often involve pain, the remembering.  It seems time is involved in this, too;  as time has passed, the pain (and I suspect it's related to "trauma," still hits sharply but I'm so very used to, accustomed to, it now, I just go through it, get over it, and it (the pain part) is shorter.  There is a whole fund of memories and there is also a "basic feeling" I can go back to in my head, and maybe I'd say, I've carried it, at least part of it, somehow into "now?"  

I did a little meditating back months ago, the kind where you just clear your mind and push aside thoughts.  Then I didn't want to meditate anymore ... there's an audio thing called "binaural beats" that's supposed to help, btw, but you need headphones or some way to play two speakers.  That doctor, Eben Alexander, who came back healed, started promoting them.  Internet as usual goes on with good or bad?  um!!!???    ah, hunh, the internet.  

• Like 3

• Members
HisMunchkin
3 hours ago, Boggled said:

In my head, I am always "I," never "she."  To me, the idea of remembering in a third person's point of view is quite odd.  

LOL, sorry, my mistake.  I didn't explain well enough.  I don't mean like seeing myself from a third person point of view, but more like I remember the times together in my own body, but I can't seem to recapture that feeling of security and wholeness.  I guess emotionally, it felt like I was remembering things from a third person's point of view.....  Or maybe I shouldn't have used that analogy at all cause now it doesn't make sense to me either. 😛

Anyway, I find it very hard to get that feeling of having him around back, even from memories, or trying to imagine him still being here.  There's always something missing.  Can't really explain it.

I just looked up "binaural beats".  Interesting. 

• Like 2

• Members
20 hours ago, HisMunchkin said:

I find that I am forgetting what it used to feel like, subjectively speaking.  Or am unable to recapture those feelings, even when I imagine those times with him.

Because your loss only happened three months or so ago, you might just be at a stage where the rawness is dissipating. That rawness of my partner's passing kept him so embedded in my thoughts back then that all I seemed to have were those feelings which made his absence so much harder to understand. Then as time passed, that all started to alleviate. I remember back then that someone here had started a topic about his concerns that he was starting to forget...that during his day-to-day, he was starting to get used to his wife's absence and that there were times in the day when his thoughts went elsewhere other than on her. This very much resonated with me and it's something that is alarming because the last thing I wanted in all of this was to forget him and also not feel the warmth of his love and companionship!!

But that's not the case at all now. Those memories are still intact. I find there are times where I will stand at the kitchen counter, stare out the window or my coffee cup, and focus on a moment with him. I don't move. I don't want anything distracting me or invading those moments of thought. I just focus and picture the scene. I need to recapture those moments to bring back feelings of the true sweetness of life with him. 

• Hugs 3

• Members
Boggled
On 3/29/2024 at 3:19 PM, HisMunchkin said:

I don't mean like seeing myself from a third person point of view, but more like I remember the times together in my own body, but I can't seem to recapture that feeling of security and wholeness.  I guess emotionally, it felt like I was remembering things from a third person's point of view.....  Or maybe I shouldn't have used that analogy at all cause now it doesn't make sense to me either. 😛

Anyway, I find it very hard to get that feeling of having him around back, even from memories, or trying to imagine him still being here.  There's always something missing.  Can't really explain it.

Trauma.  It's a brain thing.  Well we do have the internet, I just searched ... trauma from death of loved ... got a bunch of answers ... what's so amazing to me is THE INTERNET ... being able to read all sorts of different ideas from "experts" and ... ya know, lay persons, like me.  Okay, so here's one I just read:

The Traumatic Loss of a Loved One Is Like Experiencing a Brain Injury | Discover Magazine

... but we can all search for ourselves, which ... is it TRUE that "there is nothing new under the sun?"  ... or is THE INTERNET a new thing?  (I think ... it is!)

like DWS said, you are only a few months "in."  How you do it ... carry on ... is your (well, unique, yeah) choice and YOUR brain's thing.

On 3/20/2024 at 6:14 AM, KayC said:

Oh how I wish I could dream of George, but alas I don't.  Still, I feel he's with me, I can't explain, maybe wishful thinking, IDK.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
Boggled

okay, just hit "clear editor" as I couldn't keep on writing on the post I was writing on ... anyhoo.

Where am I right now?  I THINK I've wrapped my old life back around me and sort of hypnotized??? myself into feeling "okay."  Like, "I feel he's with me," similarly to KayC, and/or it's ME, not hypnotized, but really believing! He, and the shape of our lives together, still carry on, in me ... and also in this place we lived in together. 

and nothing's SET IN STONE.  And it still HURTS.  But it was way worse in the beginning ... for me.  A lot of crying!  I think I dissolved my eyelashes!  with crying!    And I don't have answers ... one thing I thought, reading months ago when the "5 steps" was more at the top on the internet, was "there ARE no answers!"   book after book, site after site, but where do they tell you HOW TO CARRY ON?  That was the biggest question I had, and just like "how to live?" ... there are plenty of answers, but you have to choose and just do it, whatever.  You do carry on.   The alternative is NOT to carry on.   uh.

'nuff said!  for now!

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
On 3/31/2024 at 9:22 AM, Boggled said:

And I don't have answers ... one thing I thought, reading months ago when the "5 steps" was more at the top on the internet, was "there ARE no answers!"   book after book, site after site, but where do they tell you HOW TO CARRY ON?  That was the biggest question I had, and just like "how to live?" ... there are plenty of answers, but you have to choose and just do it, whatever.  You do carry on.   The alternative is NOT to carry on.   uh.

I'm sorta thankful at the start of all of this that I didn't put any ardent interest in what the 5-step model was all about. Back then, I was glad to read how it was all misinterpreted and wasn't intended for loss and grief but thinking of it now, it does make you wonder...maybe even wish...that there were some standard procedure guidelines to follow to make your way out of the grief maze! Like a map or set of instructions that say start here, do this, now do this, follow along until you get to this point....just something that tells us that eventually there is an ending place out of this emotional pain!! Can we use others who have been here as our guides? Are they the map??? They give us hope for sure...and some guidelines...but as mentioned, our "tools" are unique. 

I watched an interesting video a couple nights ago...an interview with Hope Edelman who wrote a book called "The Aftergrief: Finding Your Way Along the Arc of Loss". I'm not sure if I'm interested in reading another book on the subject of grief but I did like her idea of needing a name for the period after the real and raw heaviness of our loss has dissipated. To say that I'm still in grief suggests that at some point I will be out of it...but how will I know?? Am I out of it now????!! (out of grief, I mean...not out of my mind). Maybe "aftergrief" is more fitting for where I am currently. Edelman's goal in coming up with a name was to have something more tangible to describe how we carry grief while going forward. Continuing bonds and creating new traditions that honour our person as we continue on over the years could be described as aftergrief. It's a good way of saying this horrible, awful nightmare happened and yes, it still hurts but not like it did and I will never ever forget because it's now a part of who I am.

• Like 3

• Members
Boggled

41 minutes ago, DWS said:

it does make you wonder...maybe even wish...that there were some standard procedure guidelines to follow to make your way out of the grief maze! Like a map or set of instructions that say start here, do this, now do this, follow along until you get to this point....just something that tells us that eventually there is an ending place out of this emotional pain!! Can we use others who have been here as our guides? Are they the map??? They give us hope for sure...and some guidelines...but as mentioned, our "tools" are unique. 

Seems like everything media is questionable lately to me!   

... yeah, to go back to the days of Scarlett O'Hara, the black dress, the determined time of mourning, the black armband, the six pallbearers, the cemeteries, the angel sculptures, standard procedure!  or the screaming villager-mourners, or "the drunken wake,"   and we IMAGINE how it was all "okay" after that ... well from what we read on here, it WASN'T, not REALLY.  And look at that woman, she's OLD, so ... not the same as ME, I'm YOUNG, hahahahahaha!   (sigh)  

Just read part of the book on Amazon, "read sample."  She's a goood writer.  I wonder too if giving the time AFTER the initial shock A NAME, would stick, or do any good.  and man, do I get what you're saying, 

41 minutes ago, DWS said:

I'm not sure if I'm interested in reading another book on the subject of grief

but I do keep reading, but I've got about 4 feet of books sitting in stacks on my/our dresser now, plus the ones taking up shelf space ... well one more would just add about another 3/4 inch.

• Like 4

• Members
5 hours ago, Boggled said:

but I do keep reading, but I've got about 4 feet of books sitting in stacks on my/our dresser now, plus the ones taking up shelf space ... well one more would just add about another 3/4 inch.

This sounds like where I was in my mid-30s when I hit an early mid-life wall and fell into a very dark place. I bought so many self-help books looking for answers and looking for anything to bring me comfort. Surprisingly, one of those books was Melody Beattie's "The Language of Letting Go" which I didn't know at the time was more geared around recovery over alcoholism and substance abuse. It was a book on "recovery" and that sent me a signal to read this book. It's a book of 365 passages of wisdom and self-love reminders...and it really helped.

• Like 4

• Members
HisMunchkin
4 hours ago, DWS said:

o say that I'm still in grief suggests that at some point I will be out of it...but how will I know?? Am I out of it now????!! (out of grief, I mean...not out of my mind).

In the book, "The Grieving Brain", they make a distinction between grief and grieving.  See this interview, for instance: https://www.eliseloehnen.com/episodes/mary-frances-oconnor-phd-the-map-of-loss  

The distinction is really that grief is this wave of feeling and thought that comes over you ,and grieving on the other hand is the way that those waves of grief change over time without actually going away completely. And so someone after weeks, and months, and even years will usually experience less frequency or less intensity of these waves of grief. But that doesn't mean that, you know, as an example, my sister is engaged right now, and I know on her wedding day, we're going to have grief because my parents aren't going to be there to see it. And just because I know we're gonna have waves of grief, we're gonna cry. We're gonna miss them. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with our grieving up to this point. It's just in that moment, we're aware of this loss, which is always going to be true. Our parents are gone.

So..... I guess we'll always have moments of grief, just that the frequency and intensity will decrease over time?  At least according to Frances O'Connor.

• Like 1

• Members
Boggled
21 hours ago, HisMunchkin said:

In the book, "The Grieving Brain", they make a distinction between grief and grieving.  See this interview, for instance: https://www.eliseloehnen.com/episodes/mary-frances-oconnor-phd-the-map-of-loss  

The distinction is really that grief is this wave of feeling and thought that comes over you ,and grieving on the other hand is the way that those waves of grief change over time without actually going away completely. And so someone after weeks, and months, and even years will usually experience less frequency or less intensity of these waves of grief. But that doesn't mean that, you know, as an example, my sister is engaged right now, and I know on her wedding day, we're going to have grief because my parents aren't going to be there to see it. And just because I know we're gonna have waves of grief, we're gonna cry. We're gonna miss them. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with our grieving up to this point. It's just in that moment, we're aware of this loss, which is always going to be true. Our parents are gone.

So..... I guess we'll always have moments of grief, just that the frequency and intensity will decrease over time?  At least according to Frances O'Connor.

That book was helpful to me.   

Right now, I'm reading Terry Pratchett's The Nation.   I think I'd read just part of it "before," and didn't like it, didn't think it was as clever or funny as his other books.  But now, "after," as I'm reading, I can relate to ... many things and feelings the hero, Mau, goes through as he carries on after returning to his home island after a tidal wave has rolled over his island, killing all the people of his "nation."  It was published 2008, looking at Mr. Pratchett's entry on Wikipedia, I note that he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2007.  And in the dedication, he put "To Lyn," (his wife).  He was a smart man.  (crying)  'nuff said!

• Hugs 2