Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I've decided to move house

ThereIsAField

• Moderators

I wish I had your bravery, I wish you the best with it.  Do you have any idea where you'll go?

• Like 4

• Members

That's quite a bold decision to make. The back and forth of it all is definitely something I'd be doing as well...but I imagine that's something you've been doing for a couple of years. Deciding on a new path is you taking some control over the horrible tragedy that you had no control of. Maybe control over our loss is something that all of us here eventually search for and try to achieve in some way. 

I think one of the things that likely is the scariest is the thought of new surroundings but depending on where you're planning to go (a smaller house, a condo, apartment, shared accommodation), you likely won't be surrounded by total newness. There will still be all of the keepsakes and treasures of your life to keep that sense of comfort.

Is the sorting of things and packing in boxes the first step in this or are you further along at already having listed the house? Just the thought of getting a realtor trudging through my place gives me the shivers!!

• Like 4

• Members
2 hours ago, ThereIsAField said:

And I hope that living in shared accomodation with nice people will force me to partake in normal life interactions again.

Shared accommodation on a farm actually sounds quite wonderful to me! As difficult and onerous this will be for you, it certainly sounds like a very appealing new place to go to. But, as you say, the hard task of going through things awaits. 

2 hours ago, ThereIsAField said:

One thing I'm finding "interesting" is that I used to be much more attached to my possessions. Since losing my soulmate and my sense of being alive, possessions have come to matter very little. I'm finding it quite easy to let go of stuff and just get rid of it. I'm sick of so many possessions.

All of that is what I alluded to in my "uncluttering/decluttering" thread that I started a few months back. What a task that is but it's interesting to hear that you've reached that part of letting go. During my grief time, I found myself watching many videos on minimalism and feeling all of that out for myself. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed some empty party platters sitting in one of the closets. Do I need those now? Do I need 20+ wine glasses? Will I ever plan a large gathering here again or is it time to let all of that go? Tough questions for us to face!

• Like 4

• Members
HisMunchkin

I wish you the best of luck, ThereIsAField!  It sounds like it would be a welcome change and it might turn out very good for your mental health!  Keep us posted?

• Like 4