Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Both parents sicks! Dad has ALS and mom has IDC highly aggressive breast cancer

• Members
adroit7782

2/1/24 my life changed forever... my dad whos never been sick in his life went to the er due to sever shortness of breath. A week later and test after test we found out he has ALS. Week two in the hospital we get a call and he went to the ICU and on a ventilator. Week three he received a feeding tube and tracheostomy for the ventilator. We are in disbelief because he had cervical and thoracic surgery in 2023 and never got better. The doctor said all of his symptoms were from surgery. Totally ignored his symptoms and let him get worse and worse. Now he is trying to get better and learn how to live this way. Last week my mom hid from me her left breast basically was severely infected and she did not say a word. It was so bad I could smell her infection. I rushed her to the er. She was admitted for 5 days and released today. They did not tell us she has cancer. However, in the discharge paperwork she was diagnosed with IDC super aggressive cancer and it moved to her chest wall. Again, she is 82 and never been in the hospital except to have babies. My parents are divorced and I have no one to help me. My dad is married but my mom is single. My siblings are not good people and unable to help me. Has anyone ever had both parents this sick at the same time out of no where? I'm also weathering away from stress and seeing them in such bad shape. My heart hurts and I've never felt so alone. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I am so sorry you are finding yourself in this situation.  Contact your county health and family services and also get them set up on hospice.  If you have a church, enlist their help.  I am so sorry, that is really tough, I was my sister's caregiver as she was disabled (balance/falling issues) and had dementia.  My BIL died 1 1/2 years before her.  It is rough, but getting hit with both at once is really tough.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1