Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Coping with sudden loss

widow39

• Members
Griefsucks810
On 2/18/2024 at 12:13 AM, widow39 said:

Well we all know why we are here so there is no point in trying to politely work this into the conversation.

My husband of 13 years died on December 19th. He got the flu then died 4 days later from viral myocarditis. He was not vaccinated for the flu (our son and I were; one of our ongoing arguments). The shock of it all is still echoing through every part of my life as I try to raise our 7 year old son as a newly single parent.

My plea for help is how do I cope with his bizarre and sudden manner of death. People ask and I can't really explain. He was a healthy 39 year old who died from influenza. It happened quickly. He was at the hospital for less than 24 hours. He had no history of heart problems and no signs of cardiac distress other than profuse sweating (aka you have the flu and a fever so nothing that out of the ordinary). I feel guilty that I could not prevent this especially since one of the last things he said to me was, "I should have listened to you and got a flu shot."

If I were you I would review his death certificate and see if there is a name of chief medical examiner and call their office and  ask for chief medical examiner to call you back cuz you have questions about the listed cause of death. I did this myself 3 years ago and the chief medical examiner called me back and answered all of my questions about my husband’s manner of death. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
16 hours ago, Griefsucks810 said:

My husband died unexpectedly on 8/21/19. It was the most indescribable, painful and devastating feeling of loss that I ever went through in my life.

Sounds about like all of us.  :(  I'm glad you had your daughter.  Mine came home for a few months. 

• Like 4

• Members
On 2/25/2024 at 4:27 PM, Scott56 said:

After the tidal waves of grief subside and become slow rolling waves that don’t hit you as often you can begin to swim to the surface.There is no handbook for this . After a few months and getting back on track I got involved in any activity I could that would help me to not cry for a period off time.I believe that distraction is the answer until you start to heal and accept things as they are.

Distraction!  I'm a reader, found distraction in reading old kindly children's books, like The Secret Garden.   Fortunately I had some old kindly children's books here at the house!  Booth Tarkington, also a good KINDLY author!   C.S. Lewis's A Grief Observed, another worthwhile distraction/read.  And his "Chronicles of Narnia" ... 

• Like 2

• Members

I agree that distraction is a big help. I'm a reader too but I can't read many of the books that I used to. Those that really need serious concentration don't help as my attention span is not what it was and my mind wanders dangerously. My go to books are light detective novels like Agatha Christie, nothing too gory, just a mystery to solve. I too would recommend "A grief observed" and if you can't handle the book, the film is also beautiful and sad and extremely well done. (Shadowlands)

• Like 2

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Boggled said:

C.S. Lewis's A Grief Observed

An excellent book, imo! It showed his humanity and their love and what he went through.  It made CS Lewis seem real to me.

• Like 2

• Members
widow39
On 2/25/2024 at 1:24 AM, Jemiga70 said:

@widow39  My condolences. It's such a shock to the system. It hurts so much. My wife passed unexpectedly / suddenly. To this day I still don't know exactly what caused her pulmonary embolism. It drives me insane to dwell on it, so I try not to, though I can certainly understand the need to have a definite answer. When people ask me (rarely, thankfully) I stumble with my words. I need to memorize a reply.

Hoping you find some comfort here. Many of us here share the feeling of having the rug pulled out from under.

Thank you. It is a blessing to have  listening and understanding people right now. 

• Hugs 4

• Members
foreverhis
On 2/23/2024 at 3:46 PM, Griefsucks810 said:

If asked how your husband died, I would say that he passed away unexpectedly and leave it at that.  

I think this is excellent advice.  It's hard enough to tell people without feeling the need to go into details.  Of course, there are people in our lives who do/should know, but for people in general, your statement works well.

• Like 4

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Bou said:

I was told we don't stop crying but that are tears just dry up.

Yes.  I literally dried up my tear ducts and have to use eye drops.  We carry our grief on the inside but it's there but it gets easier in time, still, we miss them.  and that's never gone.  At least for me it isn't.

4 minutes ago, Bou said:

Your story is much like mine.  Except it was covid.  We opted not to get the shot.  He had been very sick in the past from Flu after getting a flu shot and he didn't want take the chance of getting sick and also we just didn't know or trust it.  Still don't.

Well if it's any consolation, my friend's husband got long haul Covid with the vaccination and it ended up killing him.  There's no escaping death sometimes.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1