Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

What's Your Grief-Continuing Bonds

KayC

• Moderators
8 hours ago, shawnt said:

I hope that never ends.

It won't.  Not if 19 years is any comparison...

• Like 2

• Members
3 hours ago, JonathanFive said:

I don't have any desire to move, I want to be in the time and place we shared together. 

Perfectly put. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members
On 2/17/2024 at 7:54 AM, HisMunchkin said:
On 2/17/2024 at 7:18 AM, shawnt said:

I do have an internal dialogue and imagine her reactions to what's going on in life

Me three. I also do this. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
On 2/17/2024 at 10:54 AM, HisMunchkin said:

Oh hey, I do the same thing! 

I suspect most of us do

• Like 3

• Members
WithoutHer
19 minutes ago, widower2 said:

I suspect most of us do

Tack one more to that activity. 

• Like 4

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Sar123 said:

What are your thoughts on this? 

It's about time someone do this!

• Like 4

• Members
Griefsucks810
On 2/11/2024 at 11:18 AM, HisMunchkin said:

I still talk to my husband in my head, and sometimes out loud to his ashes. 

I talk out loud to my husband once in a while. I often wonder if he can actually hear me or not. I think of him briefly each day as I look over at his marble urn in my entertainment center and then go about my day. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
Griefsucks810
On 2/22/2024 at 1:20 PM, Sar123 said:

I’m not sure if this is the right place to put this, but I read that New Jersey has passed a law that will mandate grades 8- 12 be taught a unit on grief and “coping mechanisms for handling loss.” in their health classes. They said that everyone will experience grief at some point in their lives whether it’s a beloved pet to grandparents/parents, family and friends. I like that they’re doing this and I hope other states will follow. What are your thoughts on this? 

I think it’s a great idea that New Jersey passed a law which teaches students about what grief is and coping mechanisms to deal with the loss cuz it’s a part of every day life that someone dies. It will also prepare children at a young age to know what grief entails and how to cope with the loss and how they can express their sadness instead of bottling up their feelings. Why was the law passed specifically for students in grades 8-12 to be taught about grief? 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I was 14 when I lost my 3 year old nephew and my sisters were brain injured...Donna was his mom and she became quadriplegic and sustained vocal chord injury and Peggy was driving and sustained balance issues for life.  It was a LOT to take in at such a young age, and I took care of everyone from 3 (after school) to 9 when my parents got home from the tavern.  Then I did my homework from 9 to 1 am.  My friends had no clue, it was adult responsibilities.  Combine with my mom's insanity and my dad's drinking...it was easier taking care of my sisters and baby nephew.  He eventually became my brother.

• Sad 3
  • Hugs 4

• Members
HisMunchkin
1 hour ago, KayC said:

I was 14 when I lost my 3 year old nephew and my sisters were brain injured...Donna was his mom and she became quadriplegic and sustained vocal chord injury and Peggy was driving and sustained balance issues for life.  It was a LOT to take in at such a young age, and I took care of everyone from 3 (after school) to 9 when my parents got home from the tavern.  Then I did my homework from 9 to 1 am.  My friends had no clue, it was adult responsibilities.  Combine with my mom's insanity and my dad's drinking...it was easier taking care of my sisters and baby nephew.  He eventually became my brother.

Wow, KayC.  I admire your strength and your huge heart!  It must have been rough going through all that and having to take care of everyone.  Bless your heart! ❤️

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Sar123 said:

@Griefsucks810 The law was passed due to people losing family and friends to Covid during the pandemic. I don’t know why they made it for grades 8- 12, but I would think it has to do with the ages of K- 7 and their maturity level. Death and grief may be hard concepts for young kids to grasp. 

Exactly. Wow a common sense class in schools, what's up with that? Next thing you know they'll be teaching home finance basics. 

• Like 2
  • Angel Wings 1

• Moderators

They did in my high school.  It was the smartest thing they ever did! Especially since I was stupid enough to marry at 17. Nuts!

• Like 3

• Moderators

Wow not mine.  Mind you I'm all for the math, history, science etc, but cmon work some stuff in there that's practical. 

• Like 3

• Members

Everybody in my school- boys & girls- had to do a shop & home economics rotation. Shop was metal, wood, & drafting. Home ec was cooking, sewing & something else I can't remember. Not as forward looking as backward looking for the time period, but at least there was an effort. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

Oh yeah we had shop and home ec. Hey let's make a birdhouse and learn how to sew.......pretty ridiculous to make that mandatory! 

• Like 2

• Moderators
9 hours ago, widower2 said:

Wow not mine.  Mind you I'm all for the math, history, science etc, but cmon work some stuff in there that's practical. 

To me that's very practical, the next year these kids will be on their own, wishing they knew how to budget, pay bills, etc.

• Like 2

• Members
HisMunchkin
13 hours ago, widower2 said:

Exactly. Wow a common sense class in schools, what's up with that? Next thing you know they'll be teaching home finance basics. 

I was thinking the same - basic finance should also be taught.  But then that might influence the next generation's spending habits and that might not be very good for "the economy".

• Like 2

• Members
HisMunchkin
3 hours ago, KayC said:
12 hours ago, widower2 said:

To me that's very practical, the next year these kids will be on their own, wishing they knew how to budget, pay bills, etc.

The problem is, algebra and calculus doesn't easily translate to budgeting, paying bills, saving money etc.  I mean, it helps knowing basic calculations, but it doesn't teach one the importance of saving money, or how banking works, or taxes.  For many, they should at least be taught how credit cards work, and how you end up paying even more if you buy more than what you can afford at any one time.  But that's just my take on the issue.       

• Like 3

• Members
Griefsucks810
16 hours ago, 7779311 said:

Everybody in my school- boys & girls- had to do a shop & home economics rotation. Shop was metal, wood, & drafting. Home ec was cooking, sewing & something else I can't remember. Not as forward looking as backward looking for the time period, but at least there was an effort. 

Those were the good old days!! 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
6 hours ago, HisMunchkin said:

But then that might influence the next generation's spending habits and that might not be very good for "the economy".

Do you worry about how your spending habits affect the economy?  I don't.  They don't worry about it when they set their outrageous prices!

6 hours ago, HisMunchkin said:

The problem is, algebra and calculus doesn't easily translate to budgeting, paying bills, saving money etc.  I mean, it helps knowing basic calculations, but it doesn't teach one the importance of saving money, or how banking works, or taxes.  For many, they should at least be taught how credit cards work, and how you end up paying even more if you buy more than what you can afford at any one time.  But that's just my take on the issue.       

They taught us this in high school.  It helped us more than the rest.  We had an elderly teacher, Miss Zelda Hays.  She knew a thing or two.

• Like 2

• Members
HisMunchkin
3 hours ago, KayC said:

Do you worry about how your spending habits affect the economy?  I don't.  They don't worry about it when they set their outrageous prices!

Lol  Me neither.  But I wonder if that's why there's not more encouragement in the education system for kids to save and spend less or spend within their means.

3 hours ago, KayC said:

They taught us this in high school.  It helped us more than the rest.  We had an elderly teacher, Miss Zelda Hays.  She knew a thing or two.

You're lucky.  We didn't get that kind of education.  Just math, science, history, geography, computer science, languages.  We did take home economics, but that was focused on sewing and cooking.  We also had shop - woodworking and working with metal.  And music - pick an instrument.  And gym.  That was it.  

Oh and typing.  This was before computers, which we were taught in high school.

• Like 2

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, HisMunchkin said:

Lol  Me neither.  But I wonder if that's why there's not more encouragement in the education system for kids to save and spend less or spend within their means.

Again I'm all for that, but tbh first and foremost that's something parents should be teaching their kids.

• Like 4

• Members
Griefsucks810
4 hours ago, KayC said:

I agree with you that they don’t worry about people’s spending habits when they set their outrageous princes !! 

• Like 3

• Members
Griefsucks810
1 hour ago, HisMunchkin said:

You're lucky.  We didn't get that kind of education.  Just math, science, history, geography, computer science, languages.  We did take home economics, but that was focused on sewing and cooking.  We also had shop - woodworking and working with metal.  And music - pick an instrument.  And gym.  That was it.  

Oh and typing.  This was before computers, which we were taught in high school.

Those were the good old days when our generation went to school!! Our generation’s  educational curriculum was very enriched and challenging.  The teachers back in the day gave us vigorous class work lessons to complete and all homework assignments were to be fully completed and signed by our mother or our father.  I loved home economics class cuz we got to cook food and bake pastries. I also liked going to my typing class while I was in high school and the teacher was drunk everyday while he taught us how to use our typewriter.  I don’t know how he taught class everyday while being drunk. 

• Like 3

• Members
HisMunchkin
16 hours ago, widower2 said:

Again I'm all for that, but tbh first and foremost that's something parents should be teaching their kids.

Assuming that the parents also are good with money.  But what if a kid is unfortunate enough to have parents who aren't?  

15 hours ago, Griefsucks810 said:

I also liked going to my typing class while I was in high school and the teacher was drunk everyday while he taught us how to use our typewriter.  I don’t know how he taught class everyday while being drunk. 

😅 

• Like 1

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, HisMunchkin said:

Assuming that the parents also are good with money.  But what if a kid is unfortunate enough to have parents who aren't?  

Fair point!

• Like 2