Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Sad day (14 years later)

JenJ

• Members

Hey all,

I'm new to this forum. My 31 year old sister passed 14 years ago and I'm having such a hard day today. It's been awhile since the grief hit me like this. I've just learned how to live my new normal since everything happened.

Anyway, before the tears started, I was listening to a playlist...  an album came on that I haven't listened to since my sister passed. I can't believe how something like that just knocked the wind out of me. I'm sad and trying to get back to my usual flow.

Has anyone else had this happen after time has passed? I thought I knew all my triggers, but guess not.

Hope you're all doing well and thanks for reading.

• Members

Jen, your post is a real reminder that grief never ends, and it can definitely sneak up on us and take us out at the knees just when we thought we had gotten used to things--to the new normal.

I'm sorry you had that rough day and hope you're feeling better, but also that maybe you spent a little time with the grief and with your sister. Maybe it hit you that much harder because it's been so long--you know, we tell ourselves, it's been 14 years, I shouldn't be feeling like this, but you still miss her! My brother died 7 years ago and I have those times too, definitely when I'm not expecting them (and usually when it's not great timing, of course), often triggered by something like your album experience.

Hope you're doing okay.

Sarah

• Like 1

• Members

Thanks so much for your reply. I really appreciate your insight— especially, from someone that knows what this is like. I’m doing better and hope you’re good as well. — Jenny