Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Died died unexpectedly right after Christmas

LostSonForever

• Members
LostSonForever

My died had a heart attack right after Christmas.  He was in his late 70's and suppose to come visit me and my family in a few days.  I found out after that he wasn't feeling well.  I had talked to him on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, and he seemed fine, I think.  I was playing with the kids (both under 5) so I was a little distracted.   My uncle had just had a stroke a month earlier but was doing well and suppose to make a full recovery.  I had asked my dad if he still wanted to come or postpone, and he wanted to come.  I should have just gone to see them and my uncle and had my dad visit a few months later but I decided to let my dad come at Christmas and I was going to go there in Feb or April if healthy.  When we booked the trip, I had asked if he wanted to come after Christmas like the prior year or in February.  He said it didn't matter to him.  I know I didn't directly cause the heart attack, but it is tearing me apart thinking I added stress and now he is gone.  I didn't see him as much as I would have liked but had planned too as the kids were getting older and we talked all the time.  I really miss him so much.  

• Hugs 1

• Members
LostSonForever

I really miss my dad.  I can't shake the feeling that I let him down.   I took for granted that we had more time.   We were really close, but I can't stop thinking about all of the things I wish I did differently and the regrets I have.  

• Members
Mrs. Lost a Lot

My dad had a massive stroke Christmas morning, about 3 am. He died from the brain swelling that occurs from death of the brain tissue. I miss him so much and I hate how much my mom is already changing. I am so sorry this happened to you too. 

• Hugs 1

• Members
LostSonForever

I am very sorry for your loss too.   I never realized that these sorts of things are more prevalent around the holidays but it's never easy to deal with.  How is your mom changing?  It's so recent I am sure you are both still in shock.  I am not even sure I have accepted it yet.  I thought my dad was ok, but I should have known better at this age.