Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

He crossed the rainbow bridge last night.

steinbok

• Members
steinbok

I was at his side for 3 hours yesterday.
I was with 2 other friends, and facetiming with a concert pianist friend of 20 years, all together, playing music pieces that Reed played when he was alive.      A few we recorded, and I played for Reed that last couple of weeks before he passed.
I finally got around to saying that it was OK to let go, and that I am surrounded by loving friends and all kinds of support.
I had previously said, "I'll be okay", but didn't address the other part, because I always had hope that he would be able to walk out of that board and care home like Lazarus did in the bible.
I was a fierce advocate every step of the way, calling out problems at different facilities he was at, and railing on a case nurse who had NO empathy.   I'm still quite angry about that.   I have to let that go.
I chose not to appear when death was imminent    They called at 1130pm last night, and I knew what the call was about.

Reed is on the right in the picture.    No amount of money will ever replace having him here in human form on Mother Earth.   

There was a piece on Untangled that I'd like to share---- it give me a little different perspective.     I need to constantly read this to get the right perspective.

From Reed to Dave
I’m sorry that I had to leave you..
I hate watching you miss me and cry.
But please don’t spend too much time being sad.
And don’t spend too much time questioning why.
My death showed you that tomorrow isn’t promised
So live and enjoy life whilst you can
And when you feel sad thinking, “I’m not with you,
Please don’t ever doubt that I am.
I’m with you in all your big moments
I’ve seen everything that you have done.
I’m so proud of everything you have achieved,
And so proud of who you’ve become
Don’t worry about all the things you didn’t say.
Don’t feel guilty whenever you feel happy
I promise you I’m okay now,
So don’t feel guilty for living life without me.
I’d hate to think my death destroyed you.
I want you to be brave and carry on.
Although, I’m not physically with you,
The love we shared could never be gone.
So, don’t worry about what we didn’t get to do,
Because you can do so much with your time
And always remember when you think of me,
That love can never ever die.

Honey, my husband, my life partner of nearly 30 years, I will miss you in human form but will always be on the lookout for signs that you are still watching me, and I look forward to reuniting once my time on Mother Earth is done.

Your loving husband,
Dave

2012 Gorilla San Diego cropped.jpg

• Sad 6
  • Hugs 4

• Members

so ... I'm crying, steinbok.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Members
HisMunchkin

I'm crying too......  *big hugs* to you, Steinbok.

• Like 3

• Moderators

He looks like a kindly man. I'm so sorry. :(

• Like 2

• Moderators

Thank you for sharing that with us.  

• Like 2

• Members

I'm an

On 1/23/2024 at 3:22 AM, KayC said:

Thank you for sharing that with us.  

I'm an open book.,   I am remiss in not responding to a lot of others, because of where I'm at....
I actually stopped to see a friend who lost his mother in late december, and listened, talked, and cried.    Sometimes those who are actually going through the process are more helpful  than therapists.    Another form of therapy.

I've been going between crying and moving forward with the adulting stuff.   Death certs were gotten yesterday, by bike, and I've started calling financial institutions, and handling a little medicare issue back early in the diagnosis.    Giving away items, selling others,         No matter where you're at, the world keeps going round and round, no matter how you are doing at the present moment.       I hope my upcoming trip will give me some pause from all this.  I'm trying to get most everything done before that fly out day.

AND still riding my bike as much as I can, though the mileage has been down since he died.   Haven't felt as compelled to do it.   Sometimes, it's forcing myself to do it, and making plans with others, so that I keep to a schedule

Celebration of Life is on Sunday.. May have as many as 50, but hopefully, not all at the same time, lol

• Hugs 2

• Members
Gail 8588

@steinbok

Hope you are doing alright.   It is hard after all the activity of the Celebration  of Life and waves of condolences pass by.  Be kind to yourself. 

• Like 2

• Members
On 1/25/2024 at 9:03 PM, Gail 8588 said:

@steinbok

Hope you are doing alright.   It is hard after all the activity of the Celebration  of Life and waves of condolences pass by.  Be kind to yourself. 

doing okay.,  I'm a little uneasy.  I have friends helping me with setup both today and in the morning.  Doing a test run of the piano concert tonight.    Still have lots to do in preparation.

• Hugs 3

• Members
Griefsucks810
On 1/7/2024 at 10:21 PM, Gail 8588 said:

Dave, 

I am so sorry for your loss.  I lost my husband almost 7 years ago, but I feel him with me everyday.  

There is often a jumble of emotions following the death of your soulmate. Sadness, pain, anger at a variety of people for a variety of reasons (doctors, family, employers) guilt that we didn't do enough to save them,  anger at them for leaving us, loving them, missing them, fear, confusion,  and a dozen other seemingly incompatable emotional responses.  I felt like I was losing my mind.   It's grief. 

The folks on this forum have all had their life shattered by the loss of their soulmate.  We are all in different places on this awful journey of trying to put our lives together without the one person who made our life complete.  But there is comfort in hearing from others that they understand what you are going through.  Just reading the posts others have written can bring comfort. 

I encourage you to look for signs that Reed is near. I have taken comfort from specific birds my husband cherished, Kingfishers on a river, Hummingbirds near the house, Swallowtail Kites soaring high above all have given me a gift of his presence. 

Gail

Gail you hit it right on the button about the jumble of emotions following the death of your soulmate.  I have to make lifestyle changes in order to improve my physical health and my mental health.  It’s comforting to me to read others stories cuz I don’t like the only widow who experienced the loss of my spouse.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
Griefsucks810
On 1/7/2024 at 5:50 PM, steinbok said:

I was at his side for 3 hours yesterday.
I was with 2 other friends, and facetiming with a concert pianist friend of 20 years, all together, playing music pieces that Reed played when he was alive.      A few we recorded, and I played for Reed that last couple of weeks before he passed.
I finally got around to saying that it was OK to let go, and that I am surrounded by loving friends and all kinds of support.
I had previously said, "I'll be okay", but didn't address the other part, because I always had hope that he would be able to walk out of that board and care home like Lazarus did in the bible.
I was a fierce advocate every step of the way, calling out problems at different facilities he was at, and railing on a case nurse who had NO empathy.   I'm still quite angry about that.   I have to let that go.
I chose not to appear when death was imminent    They called at 1130pm last night, and I knew what the call was about.

Reed is on the right in the picture.    No amount of money will ever replace having him here in human form on Mother Earth.   

There was a piece on Untangled that I'd like to share---- it give me a little different perspective.     I need to constantly read this to get the right perspective.

From Reed to Dave
I’m sorry that I had to leave you..
I hate watching you miss me and cry.
But please don’t spend too much time being sad.
And don’t spend too much time questioning why.
My death showed you that tomorrow isn’t promised
So live and enjoy life whilst you can
And when you feel sad thinking, “I’m not with you,
Please don’t ever doubt that I am.
I’m with you in all your big moments
I’ve seen everything that you have done.
I’m so proud of everything you have achieved,
And so proud of who you’ve become
Don’t worry about all the things you didn’t say.
Don’t feel guilty whenever you feel happy
I promise you I’m okay now,
So don’t feel guilty for living life without me.
I’d hate to think my death destroyed you.
I want you to be brave and carry on.
Although, I’m not physically with you,
The love we shared could never be gone.
So, don’t worry about what we didn’t get to do,
Because you can do so much with your time
And always remember when you think of me,
That love can never ever die.

Honey, my husband, my life partner of nearly 30 years, I will miss you in human form but will always be on the lookout for signs that you are still watching me, and I look forward to reuniting once my time on Mother Earth is done.

Your loving husband,
Dave

2012 Gorilla San Diego cropped.jpg

Wow what a story you have to tell!  Sorry for the loss of your husband. You have 30 years of memories and his love for you to cherish in your heart forever.  You were very courageous to tell your husband that it was okay for him let go and that you’ll be okay.  The letter from Reed to Dave was beautifully written and heartfelt.  When it is my time to die, I hope that my husband will be waiting for me with open arms and ready to take me to heaven with him so we can be together for eternity. 

• Like 2

• Members
Griefsucks810
13 hours ago, steinbok said:

doing okay.,  I'm a little uneasy.  I have friends helping me with setup both today and in the morning.  Doing a test run of the piano concert tonight.    Still have lots to do in preparation.

Hey steinbok glad that you’re doing okay.  What type of music will be played on the piano tonight?  Are you having a lot of people attend your piano concert?  

• Like 1

• Members
Griefsucks810
On 1/26/2024 at 12:03 AM, Gail 8588 said:

@steinbok

Hey Gail 8588 how did your Celebration of Life turn out?  Please let me know. 

• Like 2

• Members
Griefsucks810
On 1/28/2024 at 9:51 AM, steinbok said:

I balked at telling him for the longest time....    It was that last day that I knew he was going be alive, was when I relayed it.    
I have posted that letter to a number of forums now.    It's a great perspective, and it's a way to temper the grief somewhat.  Early on KayC had posted 'TIPS TO MAKE YOUR WAY THROUGH GRIEF"   I have this hanging on a nail right in front of me, so on those days that I'm having a moment (most days), I look up, read and then go to that other message, and realize that he's okay with me living my life.    

Anyway you could email me a copy of the letter from Reed to Dave?  Everything Reed said to Dave touched my heart. My email address is mdecarlolaw@yahoo. com.  Thank you. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1