Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Confused and hurting. Does it count?

Zailey

• Members
Griefsucks810
On 12/31/2023 at 1:41 AM, Zailey said:

I met my fiance, Lucas, when we were 15 and 16 he was a year older than me but I didn't mind and I know we were young. We met December 2020 online and quickly grew close. By January 2021 we were dating. He was the best person I had ever met, he knew when I was sad and needed comfort or he knew when I missed him and would call me. In between the mess of life and loving each other unconditional we made the decision to get engaged and began planning our life together, looking at apartment in his country and mine, sharing Pinterest boards of what we could possibly do, endless hours of FaceTime and inside jokes. We had our rough patches but to all hope and prayers we made it to a year and then two. Still happily engaged, still just as in love as day one and still just as close if not closer.

A few weeks after our two year anniversary in February of 2023 I came online to a text that absolutely shattered my heart. He was telling me goodbye and he loved me beyond this world but he just couldn't do it anymore, he'd watch me from the heavens and be my guardian. My heart sank and shattered as I broke down crying, my person couldn't be gone no no no. I refused to believe it, I convinced myself he just left me and that he was living happily somewhere else with someone else, that I wasn't it for him anymore. November came and I was like a walking zombie, have been since February and I got a text along with a picture. He passed in May three months later. I broke again. My world crumbled at my feet any hope of him returning was gone and what little of my spark that remained vanished too. I still question why he told me goodbye in February but maybe it was to give me extra time or maybe he attempted and someone stopped him but he didn't have the heart to come back and tell me.

The first few days were a blur and then all I remember was crying and blaming myself before it hit me, I was now the same age as him and now I'll be the older one next year.

My person is truly and utterly gone. He lost his battle with depression, suicide had won and worst of all I didn't see he needed help. Could I have helped him?

I'm at a loss of words and my feelings are all mixed and confused. Christmas sucked and new years is going to suck too. I know there is life after loss but I feel like I lost a major part of myself with him...

People tell me "it doesn't count" or "we were to young to know "
But does it count? Am I just being foolish? Am I allowed to grieve? Was I just naive?
Maybe... But I needed to vent, I need to process, I need to know.

Ong how heartbreaking your story is ! So sorry for the loss of your fiancé.  Some people who are depressed pretend to be happy with their lives and do a good job at hiding it. He/she feels too ashamed to tell their significant other that life is unbearable for him/her and don’t reach out for help. There’s nothing you could have done differently because he hid his depression so well from you; it’s a shame that you had to learn of his death the way you did. Get yourself into therapy asap so you can have someone to talk to and who will get you through your loss. 

• Hugs 3

• Members

You have loved and lost. Give yourself the time and grace you deserve. I hope that one day the memories of your love bring a smile to your face instead of tears

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
Griefsucks810

I’ll always remember the night he died cuz I was in shock, disbelief, scared to death and full of despair when I saw my husband’s body in a black body bag being carried down the steps with a van waiting to take him to the morgue.  Other than that I’ve been living day by day since he died 4.5 years ago still trying to rebuild a new life for myself.  I’m working on getting up the same time everyday and exercise 30 minutes a day as a part of my new daily routine so I can get in shape and maintain a healthy and  long life. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2