Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost my 6 year old dog to vet misdiagnosis. I can't cope.

Jo Anne

• Members

The tragedy of my Eddie's passing is haunting my soul. He was only 6 years old. He had gone to two different vets, both missing what was wrong. Misreading the blood and urine tests. They were rather dismissive of me when I questioned their diagnoses. His death was traumatic for me and I felt so helpless. Fall 2022, he had been licking himself a lot. I thought allergies as he was eating well. One evening I took him outside and he toppled over after lifting his leg to go potty. He wasn't getting up, so I picked him up and put him on the sofa. After a while, he was up and wanting to eat dinner. The next day, I called the vet, got him in with his backup vet. Told them what happened. Diagnosed his urinalysis as bladder infection. Given antibiotics. Licking returned after antibiotics, vet gave more. Licking continued after second set of antibiotics. Vet said 'nervous disorder'. I did not agree. Told to keep him calm, put a cone on him and consider prozac for dogs. In February licking was constant, took him to primary vet. Told what had happened in the fall. Given different antibiotic, steroids and light therapy for infection, as well as 'purina calming care'. I told vet this wasn't a nervous disorder, it was something else. Also told him that Eddie's coat was changing color and he had a single coat, had him 4 years and this never happened before. He ignored all I said. 

In june, I took him in again and told them I wanted a full blood panel, he wasn't feeling well. They did the test and sent the bloodwork out for diagnostics. I didn't hear back from them. I took my other dog in for her eye, and said I wanted Eddie's results. They said they wanted him to come in for cushings test. I got the blood test results and the testing company said urinalysis was needed. I brought in urine sample. They saud urine not concentrating, bring him in for cushings test. I bought him in July 14. Eddie was barking a lot, upset over being there. I took him in the restroom to calm down. They did the test and we went home. July 21, Friday, I called them for results. He did not have cushings. They left a voice mssg to answer my questions. Told to withhold water and that they would prescribe supplements for liver blood values. This was the first I heard it was a liver issue. I was both relieved and concerned. Relieved he didn't have cushings and that he only needed supplements, but also concerned to hear anything wrong with his liver.  That night, he wasn't very interested in his food, which was unusual for him. We went to bed. Next morning he threw up about 1 tablespoon of clear liquid. I was concerned and kept an eye on him. Being Saturday, his vets were closed. I called the ER vet and they oddly, were closed. I tried several other vets in the area and all closed. I was getting scared. I hoped the ER vet might open in the evening as they normally were open evenings and weekends and holidays. I tried calling them after 6pm and still closed. Eddie got onto the sofa and fell asleep on his blankets, I fell asleep too. Woke at 1am sunday morning and found him on the floor, unconscious. I could not wake him, he started having seizures. Omg, i was terrified. Tried the ER vet again and still closed. Found a vet in neighboring town open at 9am Sunday. Held him as I drove there. He was awake and responsive, but not walking. They gave fluids and diagnosed with acute liver failure and pancreatitis. They said they close at 5pm and he is too sick to go home, needs ER vet. My sister came to help. She was unwilling to stay with our Mom, who I was caring for after her stroke, but would take Eddie to the ER. I held him, talked with him, kissed him and hugged him, sending him off with his stuffed animal and blanket. He had been sitting up, so I had high hopes. He stayed there until Tuesday morning when he passed on his own. 

I am devastated. I miss him incredibly. No one would tell me how all this could happen, so I got his blood and urine test info, looked it up online at Idexx, merck manuals, nih site, etc. Found conclusive evidence that he had a blocked bile duct. It took me a few weeks to learn how to read and interpret results. The vet would have known this, but sadly missed obvious signs of the disorder. He did not have to die. He should have been hospitalized for IV fluids and antibiotics/antiinflamatories in June. That would have resolved the bile duct blockage. Based on all I read, the bile duct blockage was most likely due to chronic pancreatitis, which is a hideous, sneaky disease that doesn't have obvious symptoms, just smolders in the background, swelling. 

I don't know how to recover. I feel horrible that I didn't push for more tests earlier and that i didn't read the test results before it was too late. 

Anyone have any advice on how to survive this? I am struggling. 

• Hugs 1

• Moderators

You can rest assured he is at peace now...

The what ifs blame game happens to most of us going through early grief, it did me when my husband died nearly 18 years ago...it's not that we are guilty of anything but loving them, and the truth is feelings are not facts, but it's that we can't wrap our heads around what happened, and our mind is trying to find some different possible outcome so it searches all the what ifs...

Comfort for Grieving Animal Lovers

A Dangerous Villain: Guilt
Breaking the Power of Guilt
A Dangerous Villain: Guilt
http://www.pet-loss.net/guilt.shtml
http://www.griefhealing.com/article-loss-and-the-burden-of-guilt.htm
https://www.griefhealingblog.com/2019/08/pet-loss-when-guilt-overshadows-grief.html
https://www.griefhealingblog.com/2017/07/pet-loss-when-guilt-goes-unresolved.html

I hope this short video brings you some comfort and peace.

Moved from another thread,,,

• Like 1

• Moderators

I am so sorry you are going through this.  This is how I felt when my Arlie was diagnosed with inoperable cancer and his liver shutting down...I'd been with VCA all these years...he'd had a physical just two weeks before, passed with flying colors, how did they miss this!  They never offered any suggestions as to what I could do for him.  I researched and did what I could for him, he passed two months ten days later, different vet did the euthanasia and he went out in severe pain, my last memories of him.  It kills me to this day.  I pray he forgives me, I did my best, I loved him more than life itself.

My heart goes out to you.

• Members

I am so sorry. Unfortunately, I am hearing of these events way too often. 

I wish I felt I could have confidence in vets. My current experience is not helping in that regard.

My other dog got upset after Eddie passed. I took her in and insisted on a blood test. They fought me as she just had one in June and all was normal. I held my ground. Found she had a UTI (from urinalysis) but also had elevated liver and kidney values. This time he looked into things and did the proper tests. Antibiotic, antiinflamatories and fluids helped her out. He said her kidney and liver values would return to normal. I wanted another blood test a week after meds were done to make sure things were on track and he refused. I took her to a different vet and got a blood test that showed her kidney values had worsened and that vet basically told me it was all over, a very grim prognosis. He gave me renal food but wouldn't prescribe other kidney meds to help. He said not to worry about her liver. Frustrated, I ordered some phosphorous lowering supplements, probiotics and fish oil and a couple weeks later took her back to the other vet as she wasn't wanting to eat. Found the renal food had given her pancreatitis as it is higher in fat. Took her off that and she was put on food to help her liver. Her kidney values were normal now so antibiotics and antiinflamatories and subQ fluids for pancreatitis. Took her back and pancreatitis had been resolved, but liver values keep increasing. Was told to keep her on liver food and we will recheck. She will sometimes eat the liver food, but it is not happy about it. This is where we are now. Looking to take her back in 2 weeks. Hoping everything is going in the right direction. 

• Hugs 1

• Moderators

You are a wonderful dog owner!  I wish you all the best with subsequent tests!  Let us know!

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

I walked the neighbor's chow so I wouldn't feel so alone w/o Arlie, but he yanked on me causing me permanent damage...botched surgery, permanent pain and numbness and 10% strength.  Still, by then I loved the dog, he was elderly and I got him on CBD oil for his pain...one day he bit me, thus ended our walking and he'd look sad when I walked by. :(  One day they had him euthanized and I never got to say goodbye.  So it helped for the short term but not the long term. 
Still with a dog that isn't a biter (not a chow) and can't pull hard...

• Members
On 12/26/2023 at 1:03 PM, KayC said:

I am so sorry you are going through this.  This is how I felt when my Arlie was diagnosed with inoperable cancer and his liver shutting down...I'd been with VCA all these years...he'd had a physical just two weeks before, passed with flying colors, how did they miss this!  They never offered any suggestions as to what I could do for him.  I researched and did what I could for him, he passed two months ten days later, different vet did the euthanasia and he went out in severe pain, my last memories of him.  It kills me to this day.  I pray he forgives me, I did my best, I loved him more than life itself.

My heart goes out to you.

I feel your pain. It is just so hard to wrap your head around how things are fine, until they aren't..  I have had dogs my entire life. Never have I encountered anything like this. My brain can't rest. Virtual hugs to both of us and all those suffering. 

• Hugs 1

• Members

Hi @Jo Anne I am so so sorry for your loss of sweet Eddie. Too young.

I lost a cat a few years ago suddenly (and horribly) and it basically broke my heart. I could barely function. Total devastation. What can you do? I wish I had a good answer for you. I laid in bed and cried many many hours. You get through it one moment at a time. Like you I was also very unsettled and anxious feeling for a while. Never understood that.  

Time is the only thing that allows you to somehow find a place of peace after we lose them.  

Also... this is so scary to me because my senior dog is 15 and suffering from chronic pancreatitis as well. The vet gives her meds for symptoms but seems to have no interest or ability to solve the problem. I have only had her a little less than 2 years. That's the risk we take in having pets. They bring such joy. And the pain of loss is so great.    

• Sad 1

• Members
On 12/28/2023 at 6:25 AM, KayC said:

@AJWCat  I am so sorry.  That is so hard.  I'll never forget our journey together.

Thanks @KayC me neither and it was 6 years ago now. How time flies. Even though the feelings aren't there, I remember the grief and always appreciated you being here to let me know someone understood. 

• Hugs 1

• Members
foreverhis
On 12/26/2023 at 11:03 AM, KayC said:

I pray he forgives me, I did my best, I loved him more than life itself.

Kay, I hope you know that Arlie knows you did your best for him every day. He always knew. That’s part of the gift and the grace our animal companions give us with their unconditional love.

You could not have known that the vet missed his cancer during his physical. You could not have known that the second vet office would have their scale so far off. Of course Arlie forgives you for being human and not knowing absolutely everything.

@Jo Anne The same holds true for you and your precious Eddie. You did the best you could with the information you had. We are not professionals and we need to try to remember that. We love our animal companions with every breath and that is something important to hold onto during our darkest days and most painful memories.

I am so very sorry for what you both endured. I truly believe that the Rainbow Bridge exists, though probably not in the way our limited human minds imagine it. And I have faith that our most special pets will be waiting to welcome us with loving hearts someday when it’s our time.

• Hugs 1

• Moderators

Oh I believe that, I'll have a whole barrage of animals waiting for me, although I doubt it will be like it was here, one on one, perhaps they'll have time to play with other animals and check in with us.  Time will be no more.

• Members
On 12/27/2023 at 10:03 AM, Jo Anne said:

Anyone have any suggestions for me...I am feeling distressed and anxious. It is sinking in that he is gone. I am struggling.

It is so hard once it hits home that they aren’t there anymore. I’m going through that now. My baby passed on 1/30/24, but I think that it’s just been the past few days that I’ve realized that he is really gone. I’m crying, bouncing off the walls, looking at photos and videos of him, wanting to tear my heart out of my chest because it hurts so much….you aren’t alone. 
I also fought to get my little guy diagnosed and ended up being the one who asked for specific comprehensive tests to figure out what’s going on…finally a CT scan revealed his cancer. You are a good mom and please know in your heart that you persevered and did a lot more than most would have. How do I know? Because I did the same and I see it in you. Your baby knows that too. 

• Hugs 1

• Moderators

Thank you.  He was my gentle giant, never harmed a flea.  He was 140 most of his life.  A goofball, my sweet baby.

• Angel Wings 1