Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

6th Christmas

Brazil Man

• Members
4 hours ago, tlc said:

Hello Brazil Man. This is my 6th Christmas without Terry and I can tell you that it doesn't get any easier for me. I just continue to bide time until we can be together again which I have absolutely no doubt that we will.

Stay strong Moises and have faith. All will be well.

Hi @tlc

I was wrong, this is my 6h Christmas  too and not the 5th one. I already corrected my post. Thank you for your empathy.

• Like 3

• Members
22 hours ago, LMR said:

I don't hear very well and my husband was my buffer zone. I could handle anything with him by my side. He always made sure I knew what was going on and I was atuned to his voice. I really struggled, too much noise, too many people, too much jollity. I feel like scrooge but I did try. Maybe next year......

LMR, for sound, I bought one of these (imho, reasonably priced) on Amazon;  when I go to a restaurant with my friend, I use it because normally the background noise (plus my slightly impaired hearing) interferes with me hearing what she is saying.  It works for me.   Haven't had a family gathering to try it out on yet, but since you point the little box at whoever you're trying to hear, it would probably be helpful with "too much noise."

Amazon.com: SuperEar Personal Sound Amplifier Model SE5000 (PSAP), 50dB Gain, Hand Held Pocket Size Audio Amplifier with Headphones, EarBuds, Tactile On/Off Volume Control for Adults, Audiologists, and Seniors : Health & Household

• Like 4

• Members
11 hours ago, Rey Dominguez Jr said:

Today, December 27, is 6 months since my bride passed away.  6 months since I took the longest walk of my life when I had to leave her bedside in the ICU and walk to my truck and go home without Veronica.  Still sucks!  😪 

This was my first Christmas - and Christmas was 8 weeks since I took the longest walk of my life from the ICU to go home.   My sons were great.  One spent a week with me and both, along with the fiancé spent Christmas day with me.   We did everything entirely different than ever before.   Helped me through the day and I actually experienced some joy.  Of course, then I felt so guilty that I had fun without Larry.   

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
15 hours ago, Rey Dominguez Jr said:

6 months since I took the longest walk of my life when I had to leave her bedside in the ICU and walk to my truck and go home without Veronica.

That walk, finding my way out of the hospital, trying to find an open door, going up and down stairs, finally finding a door open way on the other side from the ER parking lot, the long walk in the dark just to get to my car, the downright horror of it!, the slow and peculiar ride home, the empty house waiting for me!  was ... ... ... ... traumatic ... ... ... ... for me too, Rey.

• Sad 4
  • Hugs 2

• Members

Something happened to me.  Yesterday I was WITHOUT PAIN.   It's like the clenching, reaching-out LONGING just wasn't there.   

I don't know what happened!  ... but something happened.   My insides have changed.   Today too.  Today I'm just wondering!    what happened?  something to do with Christmas?   ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members
23 minutes ago, Boggled said:

wow, DWS!   You too?  iirc, it was the day after Christmas that this first --blank-- of NO PAIN, "rough waves" as you say it, just STOPPED.  

It was just like that! It greatly compares to the landing of a past flight I took to Boston many years ago. Flying has always been challenging to me because of issues that I had with my hearing back in my youth years...but this particular landing was crazy. As we kept lowering, the continual noisy buildup in my head was dizzying. It really felt like I was drowning while all around me, I was seeing passengers chatting and behaving normally. I felt like screaming "someone help me" but then, once we landed and the engines were shut off, there was this calm relief that swept over me. There I was reaching up for my carryon bag and then standing in line waiting to get off the plane...back to a sense of normalcy. The stress-filled days of Christmas and the quiet of Boxing Day was just like that!

23 minutes ago, Boggled said:

anyhoo, that "toolbox" link I'd posted above:  Reframing Trauma Healing: The Toolbox Approach | Psychology Today

says "Here’s the good news, though: If we can become aware of our nervous systems and how they work, we can intervene in our dysregulated systems and learn how to regulate them. There are two umbrella categories of nervous system intervention and many tools within each."

BUT I DIDN'T DO ANY OF THE THINGS she mentions on Christmas.  This blank of pain is probably, though, related to some "nervous system" readjustment.  ??  dunno!

Pffft....sometimes even science isn't strong enough to battle what's going on in my crazy mind!

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
6 minutes ago, DWS said:

Pffft....sometimes even science isn't strong enough to battle what's going on in my crazy mind!

Yep, "science" ...  yeah.  Science.  Science, used correctly, imho follows the "scientific method," i.e., hypothesis, testing, results, conclusion ... there are various models online (just checked) but the gist of it, is that the conclusion keeps getting tested, and nothing is set in stone, though after a time of continuous "testing," a lot of things are taken mostly for granted ... but it's always subject to re-testing and re-hypothesizing and readjusting.  

I'm "intuitive" according to Meyers-Briggs personality ... but I know there are people out there that are "sensor types."  (70% according to this!):  The Intuitive's Guide to Getting Along With Sensors | True You Journal (truity.com)

anyway, even though people lean one way or the other between intuition and sensing, everybody is both to some degree.  My husband was electrical engineer and certainly had a strong "sensor" side.  

Anyway, to get back to the subject, will "science" ever figure out the afterlife?  hahahahahaha!   

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
9 minutes ago, Boggled said:

Anyway, to get back to the subject, will "science" ever figure out the afterlife?  hahahahahaha!   

Now Lucy...doncha be starting that up again!

But yes, the hypotheses, testing and scientific conclusions surrounding the grief journey certainly is a challenging one for the greater minds to figure out. I think back to one article that I read in my grief-relief travels where a psychotherapist wrote about her embarrassment and bewilderment at how the grip of grief took its toll on her after the death of her husband. It was similar to grief therapist David Kessler's need to apologize to all of his previous clients that he consoled for not knowing completely the expanse of grief until the death of his son. 

5 minutes ago, Boggled said:

DWS, maybe somehow over Christmas we regulated some dysregulated system???   

Well, I think Christmas entered the room and basically kicked over the puzzle that we'd been working on. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

The what ifs blame game happens to most of us going through early grief, it did me when my husband died nearly 18 years ago...it's not that we are guilty of anything but loving them, and the truth is feelings are not facts, but it's that we can't wrap our heads around what happened, and our mind is trying to find some different possible outcome so it searches all the what ifs...

2 hours ago, Rey Dominguez Jr said:

The only thing that matters is Veronica was so very sick and she doesn’t have to deal with all that anymore.

Yes.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
3 hours ago, KayC said:

The what ifs blame game happens to most of us going through early grief, it did me when my husband died nearly 18 years ago...it's not that we are guilty of anything but loving them, and the truth is feelings are not facts, but it's that we can't wrap our heads around what happened, and our mind is trying to find some different possible outcome so it searches all the what ifs...

Yea, I've visited this place before and occasionally still do. I realized long ago that I did as best as humanly possible. That seems to give me peace of mind.

• Hugs 4

• Moderators

Yes, we all do!  And even if not perfect, we do our best and they know how much we love them.  We need to forgive ourselves any oversight and we can't help it if we didn't know what we didn't know at the time.

• Thanks 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members

Beautiful!, goldberry.  Thank you.

• Like 3

• Members
On 1/1/2024 at 11:31 AM, goldberry said:

Boggled and all, This absence of pain that you describe is beautiful.  These moments of being in between the seconds on the clock, somehow plugged into the divine now, are so precious.  I miss them.  This year is only my second Christmas without Les and I still feel far away, unplugged from reality and like I'm watching myself live.  I remember a month after he died seeing a little tree that he'd planted make pinecones (it was too young to be doing this per my tree expert friends) and having that peace descend.  It didn't stay but at the time, so deep in shock and horror, it was a beautiful reminder.

... somehow plugged into the divine now ... it does sound like when you looked at the little tree making pinecones, and had the ... peace descend ... was similar to the, really, MOMENT ... didn't last very long but no idea how long, when I felt the IMMENSE TENDERNESS inside my head!   

I'm interested in a dilettantish way in palmistry;  looking at my hands, a line is forming between heart line and beginning of life line ... well looking at my hands right now, the line is harder to see;  but could it be, that all this "reaching out" I've been doing, reading and thinking about being a spirit having a bodily experience, is changing me?  

I will have that moment of feeling the immense tenderness, now, to remember!  Moments like that, like the moment I had standing in a big nearly empty of people store, looking at some pillows in a big cardboard box, and feeling "it's okay," ... are really helpful IMHO, to remember back to, to recognize!  ... that there IS "it's okay," also ... and to go back to in memory.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
On 12/30/2023 at 5:29 AM, LMR said:

I was sobbing my heart out and suddenly just had this feeling that it was all ok. An immense sense of calm came over me.  Yes, the "problem" was resolved but not in any way that I could have imagined. Something very strange happened that day and I try to hold onto that memory. It reminds me that there are things beyond our knowing.

LMR, I hope something like that can happen for you AGAIN.   And memories like that, seems to me, are just as you said, "there are things beyond our knowing."  Like the day (probably 25 or more years ago now) I tried "Creative Visualization," visualized meeting up with an English professor whose class I was taking, so I could talk to him, went to sleep that night, next day went garage-sale-ing, and that professor was HAVING a garage sale!  and I did get to talk to him.  I don't think I'll ever forget that.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
Griefsucks810
On 12/26/2023 at 1:11 PM, KayC said:

This was my worst Christmas since he first died and maybe worse than that because at least I had my kids here, I was young and didn't have injuries.  My son cut down a tree and put it up and Melissa coaxed me into decorating it with her...it melted my heart to see George's ornaments on it and his stocking up, we wrote notes to him and put them in it.  

This year...nothing.  No tree, no presents, and a late dinner that all I could eat was turkey but it was nice being with neighbors and they were good company, so was their dogs.

This was my 5th Christmas without my husband which was the worst one for me this year. No Christmas tree and no decorations- just wasn’t in the mood to celebrate the holiday; it was just me and my cat.

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 4