Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

The day-to-day existence of living with grief

DWS

• Moderators
On 12/12/2023 at 5:58 AM, DWS said:

the grief from losing my partner and companion in life goes much much deeper. It's continual. It feels like a physical part of me...something now attached to my heart for the rest of my life. 

It's what I call carrying my grief.  It is a part of us.

• Like 4

• Moderators
8 hours ago, DotPark said:

"You've got a vision," he'd say, "you can do it." Geez I miss that.

I know, right?  I'd forgotten that about George...he thought I could rule the world...I told him to just keep wearing those rose colored glasses...

• Like 4

• Members

This past weekend, I ran into an acquaintance from my past at the grocery store. Ann is someone that I met back in the '80s through mutual friends. Back then, she was quite a party animal but wound up going into real estate and now is quite subdued and slightly uppity too. I sense that neither one of us feels any connection to each other since our devil-may-care, partying days. The only times I can recall when I've been in recent contact with her over the years is twice before at that same grocery store. Both times were short small talk that mostly focused on our businesses...this past Saturday was no different. 

Neither of us ever seem to delve into each other's personal lives. I have no idea where the years have taken her although I couldn't help notice a dark bruising on the lower left side of her face (possibly leukemia?). I like to make my grocery trips quick so I was glad that our chat was very short again but as I walked away, I hated the fact that this nightmare that I've been living through with the loss of my partner wasn't spoken. It'd been so long since I last chatted with her that she would have no idea that I had spent the last few years with a partner...let alone that he passed away. It got me thinking that I should find some sort of pin or something to wear to symbolize my grief which then might spur a discussion about it. Maybe a black armband or black ribbon that I've read about? The upside-down heart symbol seems a bit more appropriate. Something to explore....

• Like 3

• Members

DWS, I just looked up ... symbols for sorrow ... and then ... should we wear symbols ... A lot of the results were about wearing religious symbols, and various opinions too, some aye, some nay.  A black armband seems to me would be pretty universally understood.  But so many other symbols?  not so easily interpreted, at least for me.  I've always wondered why people wear skulls, for instance ... one of the results was about ... should we wear skulls ... is it "respect for the dead?" to wear skulls?  WhatEVER the cultural meaning of wearing skulls is, nobody ever explained it to me!  I've always found them macabre.  

But wearing SOMEthing to express yourself, yeah, I s'pose that's why so many people wear shirts with words or pictures on them.  I saved this one on a wish list:  Amazon.com: Metatron Cube Sacred Geometry Shirt - Spiritual Yoga T-shirt : Clothing, Shoes & Jewelry

and this one ... Amazon.com: "Just a Spirit having a human Experience" Inspirational Long Sleeve T-Shirt : Clothing, Shoes & Jewelry

• Like 1

• Members
19 minutes ago, Boggled said:

I like that one! And I agree on the skull imagery. That's too dark and macabre for me personally. Maybe a busted balloon is more fitting. 

• Like 2

• Members

How would you DRAW a busted balloon???   in order for people to "get" the meaning?   

I've never been one for wearing pictures ... but from what I've read SOMEwhere, our society is too much people staying in watching TV and playing video games, and not enough interacting with one another, so maybe wearing pictures and words on t-shirts and other clothes is the next generation's way of connecting?  ... connection evolution?   I've never seen anyone wearing a black armband.  I don't get out much though.

• Like 2

• Members
47 minutes ago, Boggled said:

How would you DRAW a busted balloon???   in order for people to "get" the meaning?   

Here's one on Vectorstock but it looks more like a steak...lol....or a red chicken drumstick. Pretty well not going to know what the heck it is once it's shrunk to less than an inch wide! I'll keep thinking. 

not-inflated-air-balloon-sketch-engravin

• Haha 1

• Members
On 12/23/2023 at 11:09 AM, DWS said:

Here's one on Vectorstock but it looks more like a steak...lol....or a red chicken drumstick. Pretty well not going to know what the heck it is once it's shrunk to less than an inch wide! I'll keep thinking. 

well yeah.  Frankly, it looks like a red chicken leg to me.  😝  On a t-shirt?  would anyone figure it out?  not ... !   my opinion!

But that idea of wearing SOMEthing to express yourself is new to this old-ish person.   But it's a darned good idea ... hey.  somebody oughtta start doin' dat!  oh.  They've been doing that?  for years?  and I never noticed.  oh.  Learn something new ... 😉  well, for me, it IS new.    well, the idea that I can do that too.

• Like 2

• Members

There is always the broken heart symbol, in the old days widows wore black for a year and then when she started wearing everyday clothes it was official that her mourning period was over. ( I wonder what that feels like) 

One of my son's got a tattoo over his heart that is a stencil of his moms last card to him Love always Mom xoxo(in her hand writing) , broke my heart at first but now I like it.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

I got a tattoo of George's signature and our eternity symbol we always used when we wrote each other (that's how we met), on my butt, not for everyone's eyes, just mine...and his of course.  

I remember when I showed my daughter and she exclaimed, "Mom!  What if you ever want to be with someone else?!  Then she lowered her head and in a somber voice, said, "I always did love that cat."  We had a cat named George that died a year after my George did.  It was pretty funny.  That's my girl!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Moderators

100 mile round trip for me, if I get gas, more.   I get it, I have to have my coffee.

• Like 2

• Members
Griefsucks810
23 hours ago, Boggled said:

Today was the 2nd or 3rd day of being out of cream for coffee.  Coffee is one of my rituals, drink it in the morning and go outside and look at the day. 

But black coffee?  noooo.   So I did something I don't think I've done in the past 19 months:  about 1:30 pm I just up and spontaneously decided to go grocery shopping (a bit over 50 miles round trip).  It was the "I can do it" SPONTANEITY of that decision that was new.  I DID IT.  

I dread going food shopping I hate everything about it. Going up and down each aisle and picking up what I need and then having to wait in the checkout line for a while till it’s my turn and then having to bag up my groceries cuz the cashier no longer does it cuz of the plastic bag ban you have to bring your own bags and do it yourself which sucks.  Then I gotta unload it all after I get home and put everything away hoping I have enough room to store it all. After all of that I call it a day and I do nothing else for the rest of the day.  My daughter does the shopping now after she’s done work but complains to me that I should be doing it cuz I’m home all day. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

In the 1800s and early 1900s they did here too.

• Like 3