Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

RIP Yaya. You will be missed my friend ...

SDW007

• Members

About 5 years ago I met a homeless girl in Houston. She went by the street name Yaya. She was 19 at the time and did not have much family support. Over the years I would help her out, buy her food, clothes, and other things she needed. She was well liked in the area by the other homeless and they seem to watch over her. I had not seen her in a few months and I went to find her yesterday. I learned that she was beaten to death on October 2nd. She was buried at a nearby cemetery on November 17th. Talking with some of her homeless friends, many of which went to the funeral, they told me her family was always distant to Yaya, which was what I had learned as well over the years. Although they apparently paid for the funeral.

Yaya had addiction issues, but was very bright and always coherent. I often talked to her about changing her lifestyle, even suggesting she take a room in my house to begin changing her life. One of her homeless friends said "She was only a baby. She did not deserve this. And why was her family not willing to help her". They put together a makeshift memorial near the area she stayed and had a ballon release on Saturday.

I found her obituary online, if you can call it that. Here family did not even write a obituary and no one, not a single person, wrote anything on the tribute wall. It's like she did not matter, like she did not exist.

I am having a very difficult time processing Yaya's death. She was a wonderful person and had great potential in life. She did not deserve the life and death she received. Yaya, you mattered to me and you mattered to your friends. You will be missed and I will think of you often.

Thank you, whoever you are, for reading my post. I am crying this as I write it. Please say a prayer for those going through a difficult time, especially those that feel the world has left them behind.

• Hugs 1