Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Losing my best friend

GraciePalmersheim

• Members
GraciePalmersheim

I met my best friend Brooklyn on the bus. Brooklyn made me laugh and smile a lot. I would play with her and she continued to look forward to seeing me before and after school on the bus, I did as well. A couple months after we knew each other things in my life went way down hill on August 23rd 2022.

I was enjoying my Saturday outside, watching my nephew carve his spear for a bow and arrow, sitting on the patio I would often glance over to the pine trees in the direction of Greeley, where my dear friend lived, thinking about what she would be doing right now, in my heart I was so excited to get the weekend over with so that I could see her the following Monday.  My mom drives into the driveway with the white van (swag wagon), Shelby Hannah's friend is in the passenger seat. 

My mom puts the van in park and walks slowly right to me with a sad face. I felt a bad tug in my heart that something terrible had happened. She looks at me and says, “ Gracie there was a house fire in Greeley earlier this morning.” I responded, “ Don't tell me it was Brooklyn’s house. She gave me the saddest look, she looked like she was afraid to tell me. She answered, “ It was Brookleyn’s house ...(then she paused for 2 minutes) and said, “ Brooklyn did not make it out. “ My heartbeat picked up, my eyes stung, my blood stream stopped, and I bawled with huge never ending tears. I screamed, “ NO, NO, NOOO!!! “ I got unexpected hugs. I did not want to be touched. I wanted to have a heart attack and die right there. On monday I rode the bus, I often would check in her seat to see if she was there, nope it was empty like my heart. The following couple of weeks I had suicidal attempts. I told my friend that I will jump in front of a vehicle that is going full speed. All I wanted was to be alone and die, I did not eat for the longest time after her death. At that point in my life I did not see the meaning of living, all my soul could focus on was death, I did not care how my death would occur, because I didn't care.  All I wanted was her, and to laugh with her.  

• Like 2