Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

• Members

This is my first time to ever reach out in the universe to tell strangers my story. Death has a way of isolating you from everything and everyone that you found comfort in prior to the loss. 
My dad died unexpectedly on July 20,2023 at the age of 66. He was the stronghold of our family. He was steady and resilient and while we all know we won’t live forever; his death was like a tsunami over our family. 
Since his passing, I am stuck. It is much like I am frozen and I can’t move. The weight of the grief is so heavy. I have no motivation to do anything. I don’t want to work. I don’t want to socialize. I don’t want to practice self care. I just sit in silence. I’m stuck. I don’t know how to move forward. 
I am seeing a grief counselor. I am seeing a psychiatrist. I’m reading all of the grief book recommendations and still I sit filled with hopelessness and the inability to complete a work week.  
Grief is sorrowful and painful and lonely. 

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I'm so sorry for your loss. This takes time to work through; allow for that. I hope this site can help too. It's a good group of people.

• Like 1

• Members
Wandering Soul

Hi, Lisa. 

Welcome to the forum.  I'm so sorry that you experienced the loss of your beloved father recently. Many of us on here can understand and relate to the depth of loneliness you are feeling. I know this feels like such a lonely and isolating time but you're not alone!  

The experience of losing a loved one certainly can be very isolating!  Some of it is natural and part of the grieving process.  However, if we experience or purposefully choose long-term isolation, that's when we might need a little help from a professional to encourage and guide us forward.  I'm glad to hear that you have access to a grief counselor and psychiatrist to help.  Hopefully you've been able to openly and honestly discuss your grief with these professionals so they can adequately help you deal with other potential issues such as depression or trauma.  Our grief does not have to own us.  There is hope!

It sounds like you had a wonderful, supportive father.  Someone who protected, loved and cared for his family.  I'm so sorry you lost him at such a young age unexpectedly.

Thinking of you, 

Wandering Soul

• Like 1

• Members

Hi,

My mom passed away in September and I can relate to how you’re feeling. I feel very alone too. This is my first time on one of these sites. I’d love to chat sometime if you’re interested? Maybe we can help one another.

• Like 1