Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Another Dear Abby I like...

KayC

• Moderators
Insensitive Questions Prolong Family's Pain
- October 30, 2023 -

DEAR ABBY: We lost our daughter to gun violence, horribly, publicly and violently. We were the subject of news, speculation and gossip. It was several years ago, but people still ask for "details" and ask intrusive questions. It drives me up the wall and hurts my heart. I still struggle with how to respond to these people. What should I say? -- DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT

DEAR DON'T: Please accept my sympathy for your tragic loss. Consider responding this way: "I'm sure you mean well, but I do not want to discuss this with you, now or ever. Please don't ask again."

• Moderators

Her suggested response is frankly far too kind IMO. I think I'd respond with something like "say, how often do you have sex? What, it's none of my business and you can't believe I'd ask such an insensitive question? Well now you know how I feel." 

• Like 1