Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Closeness and distance since the loss

goldberry

• Members

I'd like to love someone else but unfortunately i didn't meet someone enough interesting yet...and anyway i found out that i'm always looking for my loved one...someone who resembled him inside and outside...!

So I realized that i'm not ready for someone else...'cos love someone  means have an open heart and appreciate the  guy for his good and bad.

But this is my feelings...and as Widower said well: "Why shouldn't you be with someone else? " 

My best wishes for your new life!👌

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members

I'm glad that you posted about this type of conflict some of us begin to face. It goes along with the quandary of how to resolve the feelings of being alone and feeling lonely while not wanting another to take their place. I also ask (and often fear) how I would be able to adequately carry my grief for my partner Tom and also give loving attention to someone else. There just doesn't seem to be any clear solution for that. As you imagine your husband saying something along the lines of "go for it", in all likelihood, he along with my partner haven't been in this challenging, heartrending place so they'd likely be just as lost as us! Sadly, I could see my Tom live the rest of his days alone...and picturing that is tearing at my heart right now so maybe he's giving me some answers right there. 

• Like 3

• Members

I try and divide the feelings of loneliness and missing her. One I can fix and the other is life-long.

The question of whether I have enough to give to someone else to be fair to their heart haunts me. Along with all the normal angst and self doubt that we all feel when we meet new people. I thought it was hard to ask someone on a date when I was young, now that I am old, fat and bald and 25+ years out of practice I am lucky if they don't laugh and point at the sad old man.

Luckily most people are kinder than that.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
7 hours ago, widower2 said:

Those who are more up there in years can more easily (NOT saying "easy" of course! But easiLY) say OK, I'm nearer the end, so I can accept my final years without someone...but if you're say middle aged or even younger, that's a lot more years and a lot less inclination to do so.

I thought this too, exactly.   Well said. 

Plus, life doesn't have guarantees, it does go on, there will be reaching out for comfort, and there will be all the ups ... and the downs, too.   But like Widower2 also said, SCREW society and whatever you perceive as "expectations;"  it's your life, only you can make your choices, it's you who will live with the results.

• Like 3

• Members

I Really appreciate all of your responses.  Thank you..  It's another in the seemingly endless list of subjects/feelings/experiences that can only really be understood from inside so your words mean a lot.

I'm 55, was 53 when he died.  He was 14 years older than me.  I did not look for someone, in fact the idea of my heart ever working again seemed ludicrous.  This person literally came to my house to finish a last construction job that Les started.  I do worry that no matter what,  I'll compare them in my heart; and that is a losing contest for anyone else.  Facing life is a process for me of knowing everything will always be second best to Les' love and our connection.  My friend whose husband died in a terrible accident when she was 40, so over 12 years ago, says that will change.  I find that really hard to believe.

• Like 3

• Moderators

There is no reason someone shouldn't have another partner if that's what they want! I'm 71 and doubt I ever will.

• Like 1

• Members

I know the feeling of missing that special closeness, of knowing someone and being known, missing being loved in that way.   I'm wondering about dating too.  I even had a dream last night about going on a date.  In my dream I failed spectacularly at the date:  I drove past him, hit the curb, peeled out, then came back around the block and tried to act like a person who could drive a car.  Then I called him by the wrong name.  Then I had a hard time paying attention to his interests and when I noticed him not caring about my interests I clamed up and didn't talk. Then at the end of dinner I said something like "This didn't go well, but I really like you and want to try a second date" even though I knew it was a mistake.   LIKE WTF dream-self?    

I think it's important to pay attention to your own feelings and not care about what society thinks you should be doing.  

• Like 2

• Members

something about this topic reminds me of "Granny Mazur" .. Stephanie Plum's grandmother who came to live with Stephanie's parents after her husband died, from Janet Evanovich's comic series of novels.  Granny Mazur is constantly looking for naked men.  Considering the plain fact that the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich is as extremely popular as it is, I'd say "society" can accept all sorts of behavior.   

• Members

I admire those who can venture out into a new relationship, much less remarry. Instead of seeing a new relationship as unique, I would be constantly comparing that new person to Chris; which is not fair to them. We’re all different people so this is just my opinion. Widower2 makes a good point about the interest in dating waning as we get older. Again, everyone chooses their own path, but there is a tendency to feel “for what??” as we get older.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I don't see them lining up at my door and since I tend towards hibernation...unlike my friend who is extremely social and will start dancing, etc. regardless of where she is, and on the phone with guys...I only hope she doesn't hook up too soon and have told her it's important to get to know and accept ourselves first...it can take a few years...it's fallen on deaf ears, I just hope she doesn't make some of the mistakes I did in my grief fog.  But I guess we all create our own unique story...regardless of what we go through to get there.  I'm at peace with what is, that's something I reckon!

• Like 2