Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Long-timers: did time stop for you too

widower2

• Moderators

No, unfortunately time didn't stop, it marched on with me getting older and older, without him.  But LIFE stopped in a way because the life I had with him is gone, it hasn't been here since he was.  

I think we all have the same experience, maybe just handle it differently or express it differently.

• Like 3

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, LMR said:

Time to me has a duality. It seems like yesterday and many years ago all at the same time.😟

Bingo, exactly 

• Like 3

• Members
On 9/25/2023 at 3:14 PM, LMR said:

Time to me has a duality. It seems like yesterday and many years ago all at the same time.😟

Yes, it does. 

I suppose time did seem to stop for the first 2 years or so.  I felt like I was in a bubble with the rest of the world flowing by.  Now I definitely feel the duality, but not always.

• Like 1

• Members
5 hours ago, KayC said:

I know, right?!  Annie has amazing support arounf her, I think that helps.

I know how lucky I am that I have two small loyal and loving circles of friends and family (one local and one 3-5 hours distant) who have been there for us/me through everything. Our circles had already grown smaller as we lost (or “kicked out”) friends and even a few family members after his bicycling accident that nearly killed him and when some years later, I developed multiple autoimmune conditions. We had experienced the pain of losing people we considered close to us, so those who remained were precious.

In fact, my support system has gotten stronger over the years, which I know is far from typical. Surprisingly (to me), some of that happened during 2020 throughout lockdowns and the stress of COVID. By spring of 2021 when things were starting to settle a bit and we were getting vaccinated, I began to feel part of the world again. At 2-1/2 to 3 years or so, I was able to feel some hope and bits of a different kind of happiness. By the beginning of 2022, I had fewer days of feeling disconnected, though I doubt that will ever go away entirely.

I believe part of the reason I was able to start piercing that bubble is that the people who remained close and who grew closer all help me bring John along on my journey.  He is part of me and therefore, part of the whole in my relationships now and always.

I do not take the grace John and I have been given for granted.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

George was only in my life 6 1/2 years, gone now for over 18, but he is still a part of my life.  I too have a photo on a wall...he looks so handsome.  I prefer him sitting on the loveseat with me but we can't be choosers...

• Like 4

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, Sim7079 said:

& despite the saying ‘time is a healer’. It doesn’t really. I think we just learn to carry the grieve with us

Yes, definitely.  Well put.