Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

"Speak Their Name" poem

DWS

• Members

My grief counselor sent this poem to me. It's so perfect...a polite way of getting those in our lives to understand our world of grief. 

0?ui=2&ik=ad3ab92262&attid=0.1&permmsgid

• Like 4

• Members

Tom's birthday was two days ago. It's been two years since he's been gone but this was his third birthday for me to get through as he passed away two weeks before his big day back then. I remember thinking hard at that time about his gift...buy something or make it.  No one in my immediate family knew it was his birthday and I wasn't expecting them to but thankfully, I have Tom's daughter and his niece in my life who fully knew and acknowledged this special day. I heard from both of them. I needed that. I needed to hear his name and to hear more of their stories. It was music to my ears. 

• Like 2

• Members

I see my son's eyes light up and I have their full attention when I talk about their mother. It gives them comfort when they hear about her.

I have been agonizing over whether to have a remembrance on the anniversary of her death, it may be healing for them but it will feel like a reliving for me.

When other people talk of her it can make me smile but pictures still bring the sorrow.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
On 9/8/2023 at 10:21 PM, DWS said:

My grief counselor sent this poem to me. It's so perfect...a polite way of getting those in our lives to understand our world of grief. 

0?ui=2&ik=ad3ab92262&attid=0.1&permmsgid

So true. This is what I have a hard time getting through to people. I want to talk about him yet they avoid it. One friend in Australia has stopped writing because his wife is jealous! I am thousands of miles away. I just wanted to hear someone's memories and he had known him longer than me and I had been with him 47 years. I think I will send him that.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Says the link is gone..,