Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Suddenly lost soul cat

Erinn

• Members

This week I suddenly lost my 6 yr old soul cat without warning.  I still don't know what happened but there was nothing the ER could do for her so I had to let her go.  I am taking it minute by minute.  If I want to cry, I cry.  If I'm angry, I'm angry.  I miss her so much and my world is so empty and quiet now that she's gone. 😪

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Members

I am so sorry. I lost my soul cat 6 years ago... very suddenly and horribly. We'd had him from age 5 to 15. 

I know the trauma. No time to prepare or process. 

And the anger. And sadness. The world was really dark for a long while. It is very empty without them. :( 

Hang in there.  

• Like 2

• Members

Thank you all for the support.  I brought her ashes home today and I talked to her the entire way home amongst the tears and such.  Losing a 4 legged family member is way worse than the 2 legged kind in my experience.   All Things Must Pass as George Harrison says. :(

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I agree, with the exception of my sister. She was my closest one and I was her caregiver.

Praying it gets better for you in time.  We do grow more accustomed to it, even though we don't think it possible.  But never do we stop loving them and missing them.

• Like 1

• Members

Tomorrow marks 1 month since my best friend died, and I am not feeling any better.  I feel so empty and there is such a void and hole in my heart.  I realized earlier tonight that I am struggling with the healing process and moving forward because I don't know what caused my healthy baby to all of a sudden overnight be in so much pain to the point of not coming back.  If I knew what happened, I feel it would give me some closure to not be hanging on so tightly.  Instead I am blaming myself for not protecting her from whatever happened.  I truly don't know how to continue without her.

• Hugs 1

• Members

HI @Erinn I know how you feel. We lost our cat very suddenly. He got sick from something, we still don't know what. We rushed him to the emergency vet, he was violently ill, howling - it was the most horrific experience to watch him suffer. We finally put him down because the vet couldn't do anything and the antidote he gave in case it was poisoning, did not work. 

Time has been the only thing that has helped me. There were many days of agony. I couldn't believe my cat had to go through that and then we lost him. Only with the passage of time I've reached some form of peace with it, but it was not easy. The only saving grace was that we were there for him instead of him being alone. 

Like you, even a month in, I was not okay. I was still incredibly distraught. I am so sorry for your loss and that you are going through this. It is hard not to have answers. I wanted them, too. I played the events over and over in my mind. Try not to do that. It will bring you no answers. Try to remember the good, happy times. Hang in there. 

• Like 1

• Members

@AJWCat  Thank you so much for this!  It helps to know that I'm not alone in this grief and similar situation.  I know she is still here with me and I need to forgive myself.   Some days I feel like I'm losing my mind.  Thank you truly. 💛

• Like 1

• Moderators