Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I am 30 and I have lost both of my parents

Charlie D

• Members

At the start of the year, the day after I bought my first home, I got a call from a family member to say that my mother had passed and I needed to come home, I live in Canada and I am from Ireland. This has been the second call I have gotten since being in Canada about losing a parent. I lost my dad in 2018 to a short battle with Cancer and now my Mum who passed away due to Lung issues. They told me she went peacefully and had no pain. I was very close to both my mum and dad but especially in the last 4 years very close to my mum since we lost dad.
I don't know what to feel lately, for the first few months I was feeling numb and beating myself up that I wasn't processing enough emotion but in the last month it has hit me all at once, I can't stop crying all the time, I feel like there is a heavy cloud over me, I used to love being very active and now it feels like it is a chore to do anything outside, my chest is always in so much pain(I got every test you can for lungs + Heart and nothing came back). 
I have a very supportive wife who is there for me 24/7, I have some friends who have been there for me but I always feel so alone, like there is such an emptiness inside of me constantly. 
I just don't know what is next, I don't know how to get my head above water because it feels like I am sinking.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I am so sorry for your losses...I lost my dad 41 1/2 years ago and my mom in 2014.  My mom had mental issues all her life but I hung in there with her until she died of dementia.  My dad was such a wonderful person, always cracking jokes, I miss him and esp. since neither of my kids got to know him, but I tried to carry on his heritage and would tell them about him and had a picture up of them.

Please take care of yourself and go to the doctor if you need to, sometimes they can help.  What you are describing is common in grief, the feeling alone....today marks four years since my soulmate in a dog passed...it's been over 18 years since I lost my husband on Father's Day.  I am alone and well know it.
I hope you will continue to come here to read and post...and know you are not alone.  I'm glad you have friends, let them be there for you, get out now and then, even if you aren't feeling it.  Sometimes it helps just to have fresh perspective.

Parent Loss: Continuing Their Song

Multiple Losses