Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

dealing with triggers

HartOfSteel

• Members

Hi all, I'm new here and so excited to get to know you all. 

My mom passed in May of 2020. It was difficult, she passed away in the nursing home I work at, and I still work there today. It's been three years, and I've grown around the grief significantly, but with all cases, it still hurts like it just happened. Today ay work, I saw a woman sitting with her mother who isn't doing well. She was feeding her and just watching it brought back bad memories and I couldn't handle  myself and started crying. I've gotten good at not breaking down or crying at work, but it was just this specific instance that I couldn't help but get emotional. I talked to some people on management, and they did really well with talking to me and validating my feelings, and were very supportive with letting me take the time I needed.

How can I deal with these triggers while on the clock? I love and miss my mom so much, and I've been triggered before, but just not at work. I know I have a great team that will always be there for me, I just feel like I need a way to contain my emotions seeing events such as this one happen at work.

Thank you in advance! 

Hart

• Sad 1

• Moderators

I am so sorry for your loss of your mom...these triggers are normal and part of our grief journey, but knowing that doesn't make it any easier to handle.

Parent Loss: Continuing Their Song

https://www.milanomonuments.com/blog/strategies-to-handle-unexpected-grief-triggers-after-the-loss-of-a-loved-one

• Like 1

• Members
On 8/15/2023 at 4:57 PM, KayC said:

I am so sorry for your loss of your mom...these triggers are normal and part of our grief journey, but knowing that doesn't make it any easier to handle.

Parent Loss: Continuing Their Song

https://www.milanomonuments.com/blog/strategies-to-handle-unexpected-grief-triggers-after-the-loss-of-a-loved-one

Thank you for these, they were very helpful and I will definitely be returning to them! I really appreciate it :)