Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I will never get used to it!

Roxeanne

• Members

The female cat of my friend died and i was crying for her and all the goodbyes unwanted  i had to do...

She was so cute and tender, her name was Stella (Star)....i will miss her when i will be in my friend's house again!

I'm feeling the cosmic loneliness to stay here and they all gone humans and pets leaving this world and my life more sad...

• Hugs 4

• Moderators

Roxanne, I went through this with Arlie's best friend Sammie dying this week, it hit me hard, they used to play together every day.  It felt like I was losing Arlie all over again in a way, but my consolation is they've found a cedar tree in heaven to hang out together under.
Comfort for Grieving Animal Lovers

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

So sorry for Sammie Kay! They are so full of life ,they fill our life of love and joy...it's heartbreaking lose them!

It will be so beautiful find them again under that cedar tree💕

• Hugs 2

• Members
foreverhis

I don't think we ever get used to losing those we love.  I don't think I'd want to because it would mean my heart, my feelings, had grown cold.  I would rather feel whatever I feel.

My yoga friends group is going through this right now.  One of my friends and her husband, who John and I have known for years, had to say goodbye to their cat just yesterday.  They open their house for our yoga class during bad weather when we can't have practice outdoors on another friend's beautiful patio.  Yesterday, we had class at her house because of scheduling.  We had said we could cancel, but she decided it was better to have us all come to quietly say goodbye and to use the gentle energy of our yoga to fill the house with calm and comfort. 

Even though their cat was a "one family guy," except our dear friend (and yoga teacher and Raleigh's mom) who was his sitter for years, we all gently wished him an easy journey to the Rainbow Bridge.  He stayed on his quilt in the room for most of class and then meow'd before walking into the bedroom to lie down.  There was not a dry eye in the room.

I will so miss seeing him sunning on their front deck and watching the world go by.  No, I don't want to ever get used to loss because I don't ever want to close my heart to love, even though the pain of it will always be there too.

• Like 2

• Members

Roxeanne, so sorry about your friend's cat. When we have them so long, these pets become like a child for us.

I'm going through a rough time with my dog right now. She's 16 years old and has many problems, including confusion, arthritis, bad hearing and vision, hard time walking, and who knows what else .

So I've been thinking when I might have to bring her to the vet for the final time. It's not an easy situation, she has been a companion for me after my wife passed away, but eventually that time is coming unfortunately, and this will add even more grief in my life.

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
9 hours ago, Sparky1 said:

So I've been thinking when I might have to bring her to the vet for the final time.

It's a nightmare thinking of it for my cat too! She's 16 and develope some problems like every old cat....hope she stay with me some years more!🙏

It's hard Sparky...i love her and she knew my loved one, she was with me in the happy and the worst of my life...she comforted me in my dark nights!

She is my little sister like i think your tender dog...but unfortunately they have a brief life compared to ours! 

I'm sorry for that...

• Hugs 2

• Moderators

My last cat, Kitty lived to 25 1/2, one never knows.  My heart goes out to those of you losing pets, it's the hardest thing in the world, it ranks in with losing your spouse, esp. when it's you and the animal, all you have left.  God be gracious to you...

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
foreverhis
5 hours ago, KayC said:

esp. when it's you and the animal, all you have left.

That’s something I have thought about with Cosi. She’s 100% not the cat I had in mind and had been meeting/visiting (older, sedate, etc), except that she’s female and I have always had girl cats. And truth be told, if I had known how much she would grow (11+ lb of muscle and thick pelt like fur) or if I had realized Bengals have a tabby-like pattern line and she may very well be purebred, I might have hesitated to meet her.

But my heart wouldn’t shut up once I saw her picture (smaller, a bit thin, looking lost) and heard her story (abandoned in an apartment at 10 months old). There was something in her eyes that tugged so hard at me that I had to drive the hour away in the (regular) rain on a winding mountain road I dislike.

I was told she was friendly, but hesitant to come out from under her blankets, so she kept being overlooked. Yet the minute I walked over to meet her and said her then name, she was out and head rubbing, purring, and insisting on being with me. I will never know what made her decide to claim me or why she was the one I couldn’t leave behind.

Now, even when she’s driving me crazy with her antics or when I am frustrated having to teach her things most cats learn as kittens, though fortunately, she came to me with excellent litter box and eating manners, I can’t imagine life without her. She’s given me another huge reason to want to keep living. So I keep her health and happiness in mind every day. We’re family now and we have each other.

On Wednesday after yoga, I walked in the door and breathed a sigh of relief and love, even as my eyes were full of tears for our friends. I am lucky enough to have a great support system of friends and family, but it’s Cosi who sleeps next to me every night, who makes me get off the sofa to play (darn smart cat even makes up games for us), and who greets me every morning and every time I walk in the door.  I don’t take that for granted.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
15 hours ago, Roxeanne said:

It's hard Sparky...i love her and she knew my loved one, she was with me in the happy and the worst of my life...she comforted me in my dark nights!

Thank you Roxeanne. Yes it's so hard to see the poor dog decline like that. It breaks my heart because she too has been in the family her whole life, she is my little baby. Not much any of us can do when our pets get older and we don't want to let them go. I hope your cat has many more years but I know my dog doesn't have a lot of time left. I care for her the best I can, at least she's eating and drinking which the vet told me is a good sign still.

• Hugs 2