Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

We made it through another Holiday, So What did you do?

Deborah_M

• Members

Well, we made it through another holiday.  Hope it was a good one for you.  I'm starting to get use to spending each of these events by myself.  I did manage to do something positive on the 4th.  Called up a friend and asked her if she wanted to go see a movie that I had been wanting to see, she said yes, that she had been wanting to see it as well.

"The Sounds of Freedom". My friend managed to get free tickets for the showing.  This was based on a true story.  It is not a moving for kids,  you can go to their website and view a trailer.  It took them 5 years to get it released in the movie theaters, so would not expect it to be on TV if ever.

After the movie came home and spent time with my poor puppy that was upset about all the loud noise from the fireworks.  Poor guy.  First time I have seen he  upset over this event.  OK, this holiday is over and I find myself sad again.  Feeling like this will be my life with each holiday that comes.  good that there are not any major holidays for a while.  Dread when the major holidays come later in the year.  There is no joy in my life any more, no hope for the future.  Just trying to live each day at a time.  Waiting for the time God will call me home.  

I have new friends, some have experienced the loss of a loved one, they understand but the ones who have not...bless their hearts...they just don't get it.

I have been isolating myself from my feelings, still can't sleep at night but getting better.  Sorry!  This is a Pity Me Day. licking my wounds so to say.  I'm thankful for this site...it's the only place I can come to and just let my grief out.  Hope you are having a better day.  God bless

~Deborah

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members

Deborah: It's been almost a year since my wife passed away. I can accept it; but I'm not happy about it. To me, everything looks the same but feels different.Luckily my son and I do have some friends and family. Some of them have had losses and can understand what we're going through. You're right, others who haven't experienced what we've been through cannot understand. Now that I've through it, I tell others (who have been through it) that I now can feel their pain.

Glad to hear that you're getting out with old friends and making new friends. We're going to meet some friends for dinner on Sunday. It's hard for me spending the rest of my life without my wife; so I have to take it one day at a time.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

There's a fire burning in Eugene near Lane Community College, replete with evacuations, and Eugene has a ban on fireworks...I assumed the same would apply up here since we're in much more danger than they are so close to the woods, in 100s, but I found out this morning my neighbors put on a fireworks show at the park, I missed it. Will consider it next year though. Went to my church' BBQ, made Keto Avocado Brownies and told my friend she could have what's left...I only stayed for half, way too hot for me!
Pretty much used to being alone for everything by now but not really liking it. I'm glad you found someone to do something with, Deborah!  Hope you have a good time Sunday, Rich!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

I went to the fireworks with a couple of friends, which was ok but I still missed being able to hold hands with my husband.   I missed the way he always exclaimed especially about the really booming ones- those were his favorite- the ones where the sound hits you in the chest.  

Saturday night I went to see a band with my friend.  They are a young people group- actually the son of another friend is the guitar player. They were good.   We helped out with the merch sales.  It was fun watching people dance- so much enthusiasm!  I danced a bit, but it was really, really hot, so not that much..

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

I went to a bbq on Saturday. I got through it and left after a couple of hours. Lots of memories from the past which got to me. First times are always the worst. Hopefully, it will get a little easier with holidays as time goes on.

It finally rained here yesterday so not much going on. My dog wanted out last evening so I let him out in back which is fenced in. I didn’t think anything of it until I heard fireworks going off. He doesn’t like them and usually hides behind the couch when he hears the big booms. He didn’t come when I called him so I went outside and looked for him. He was not there! I’m calling his name and he’s nowhere around. Now I start to panic thinking he jumped the fence (he’s 12 years old with arthritis) and ran away to hide somewhere. I ran to the front of the house and there he was- partying with the neighbors in their driveway. The kids were petting him and he was loving every minute of it. He didn’t mind the fireworks this time around. We all had to laugh. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Sar123, love your tale about your dog!

AJ4, glad you got out and enjoyed yourself!

• Like 1

• Moderators

We usually went camping together on summer holidays, I haven't camped since. Those days are over.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Went to a cookout with some acquaintances, nothing flashy but nice to get out, tons of food too. Set off some fireworks by myself at home for giggles. The frogs didn't like it. :)  

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
foreverhis

I did a little gardening during the few hours we had sun, but spent most of the day chilling with Cosi. We watched 1776 in the evening and I kept a close eye on her when the illegal fireworks started. She was confused, but didn’t freak out. She ran back and forth on the living room windowsill. Then she saw her own reflection and bristled, “Who are you?!? I don’t know you.” And yet another cat nose print decorated the glass.

I wasn’t invited to any celebrations or parties, but then again, none of my friends went out either. We pretty much all stayed quietly at home. Maybe next year we’ll have a July 4th block party like we used to do before COVID. 

• Hugs 2

• Moderators

I'm sorry Gator. I've had those holidays. I hope your summer improves.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1