Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My first post 18 years ago

KayC

• Members

Beautiful post Kay, I'm wiping away the tears from my eyes.

• Hugs 1

• Moderators

Just remembering, I didn't start out 18 years later, I was in the depths of grief just like everyone else...

• Members
I miss you so much

You've made a long way, KayC, you've been so strong...

When I saw the date of your post, I remembered what I was doing that day, (in fact, 10th July is a special date for me) and I I feel now nauseated and dizzy, I don't know how to explain, just being conscious of the time that have passed since then... So much time ...and you survive! You're a "survivalist" woman

I can't imagine myself living all that "time" without him

• Hugs 1

• Members

Wow.  So beautifully written.  He was so young, and it's been a really long time.  Hope you're together again before you hit 40 years, Kay.

• Like 1

• Moderators

You and me both, DMB.  I miss you so much...time turned into more time, one day at a time, through everything.  You don't think about it, it just happens.

• Members

Beautifilly written, Kay. You summed up your lives together and the grief you were feeling at the time. As for heaven, I'm not an expert but this passage stands out for all of us who wonder about what the next life will be like:

1 Corinthians 2:9

But as it is written:

“Eye has not seen, nor ear heard,
Nor have entered into the heart of man
The things which God has prepared for those who love Him.”

• Like 2

• Members
28 minutes ago, Nancy2 said:

But me dwelling on it can't change anything, so I have to let it go.

I've gone through this with my Mom and my wife. It does put added pressure on us. I finally concluded that I did the best I could that was "humanly possible." Sometimes in care taking we can make errors; but as long as they were errors in trying. Errors of indifference was NOT the case for you or I. We do the best that we can with the information we have to work with or the professional advice given to us. Hope this helps......................

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, Nancy2 said:

But me dwelling on it can't change anything, so I have to let it go. 

Yes! 1,000%, that is what I did. I forgave the doctor and extracted a promise from him that it would never happen to anyone again under his watch.  It is releasing to let go of it.  It doesn't bring them back to hold onto it, it just poisons us.

• Like 4

• Members
On 6/28/2023 at 6:28 AM, KayC said:

Just remembering, I didn't start out 18 years later, I was in the depths of grief just like everyone else...

Exactly.  Slowly moving forward doesn't mean I have forgotten anything about those first weeks, months, and even years.  Though there are gaps and foggy spots, the things my heart and mind found most important, meaningful, and painful remain crystal clear.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Yesterday Jazzy jumped off the patio and landed on Kodie, he cried and cried, it's the first time that's happened. Later she bit him and his eye and nose were bleeding, I took him home. She was very aggressive yesterday.  I think she was showing off and being the big buck because she had company over.  Iris called to apologize.  His eye is swollen, looks a lot like the other one did before surgery.  It's the lower eyelid, breaks my heart.

• Sad 1

• Members

Kaye,  Seems like you have just always been around, it is easy to forget that you were at day 1 once too. As you might remember. my wife was just 51 years young too. It was so unfair to her passing so young.  I have spent a lot of time grieving for myself, but lately have been grieving for her as she was never able too. Almost like it's my duty to do it for her. Her death was sudden and she would have been shocked and horrified to learn she was about to lose her life.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Members
2 hours ago, KayC said:

Yesterday Jazzy jumped off the patio and landed on Kodie, he cried and cried, it's the first time that's happened. Later she bit him and his eye and nose were bleeding, I took him home. She was very aggressive yesterday.  I think she was showing off and being the big buck because she had company over.  Iris called to apologize.  His eye is swollen, looks a lot like the other one did before surgery.  It's the lower eyelid, breaks my heart.

If I remember, Jazzy spends some of his time in a cage. When he gets out he acts crazy. Pent up frustration, I guess. Maybe he and Kodie need to put their "play dates" on hold until Jazzy calms down.......................

• Like 1

• Moderators

No, she was lose when we came, but I think it was because she had "family" staying with them overnight and got too big for her britches.  

2 hours ago, William M said:

my wife was just 51 years young too. It was so unfair to her passing so young.
 lately have been grieving for her as she was never able too

I get this, trust me. We had no warning, it was shocking!

• Members

Yes, so true..............Today I reminded my son that grieving goes on for a lifetime; it will always be there, but it's less painful as the years go by. For some reason, going to church on Sunday is emotionally draining. It shouldn't be, but I can understand why I feel that way since Chris passed away. Glad that we made a mass for her in a few weeks. Attending that will be painful, but it's the right thing to do. I would be honored if she did it for me.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I wasn't able to make it today, had planned to, had my potluck dish made...I had my leash on, taking Kodie out to walk him beforehand...neighbor went by with his seven year old walking the dog that severely attacked Kodie when he was a baby!  Highly irresponsible of him!  No way could a seven year old stop a large dog from attacking if he wanted to, and judging from when we have to go by their house, he still wants to.  I didn't see them come back the other way so we waited over an hour before going out. :angry:

I wish you well with your mass!

• Members

Kay---------you've got a lot of "bully dogs" in your neighborhood!!

• Like 1

• Moderators

Yes. Kodie is one of the smallest except some Chihuahuas and they make so much noise no one would attack them!  

• Members
On 6/28/2023 at 12:04 PM, KayC said:

This is EXACTLY how I feel now. My husband was 57 and I too dread if I have to endure another 30-40 years before I’m with him again. Last night I was also worried that perhaps he wouldn’t want me anymore. This really resonates with me. 

• Hugs 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, MariePaul said:

Last night I was also worried that perhaps he wouldn’t want me anymore.

Please, don't go there.  I know George would want me even though he hasn't aged like I have.  We loved each other's insides first.  I am reminded of my insecurity of my pregnancy belly, how embarrassed I was of it, yet on our wedding night, he kissed it.  He did it to make me feel comfortable, to let me know how much he loves and accepts me as I am, so I know he'd acccept my flaking skin that started when I was 70 (71 now).  He always looked at me through rose-colored glasses, I would tell him, "Don't ever lose those rose colored glasses, George!"

• Like 2

• Members
4 hours ago, MariePaul said:

This is EXACTLY how I feel now. My husband was 57 and I too dread if I have to endure another 30-40 years before I’m with him again. 

I imagine that your mind is swimming with so many thoughts and dreads right now. It is likely too difficult to focus on anything but as @KayC mentioned in another thread, eventually try to shift your thinking to one day at a time or, because you are so much in the initial days, perhaps just one hour at a time. It's the best way to cope right now because anything more invites anxiety and fear. The focus at this moment is your health and well-being....along with whatever papers and memorial planning that are required of you. What is important is drinking water, a bit of nourishment, some sleep, and breathing. 

• Like 2

• Members

Kay:  Being married to Chris over the years I realized the importance of inner beauty. Inner beauty and outer beauty. She had both.

• Hugs 1