Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost Best Friend of 41 Years

Dharma70

• Members

Hi All,

I recently lost my best friend of 41 years. We had been roommates when she passed, and had previously been roommates off an on throughout our lives. I was never the kind of person to have a lot of friends and she was certainly the only person in my life that had my complete trust. She and I had never been close to our families, we made our own family with each other - best friends who became sisters of the heart. 

This has been such a tremendous struggle for me. I am grateful she is no longer in pain (she had cancer) but I miss her so much and cry every day (she passed away 22 days ago). Anyway, I am glad to have found a forum where others may understand my pain. 

Thank you all

Dharma

• Hugs 2

• Members

My heart goes out to you on such a significant loss. A friend for 41 years would know so much about you....the real you...the one who witnessed life as it unfolded for you while you did the same for her. That kind of friendship and bond is huge. It is no wonder that you now struggle and grieve. Friends can come and go in our adult lives but there is something magical about the ones that we continue to stay close to.

I have a friend of 40 years who currently is in the horrible grips of cancer so I am able to understand and experience some of the pain you must be feeling. I don't know how much longer he has left but right now, there is the continual reminiscing of experiences and times spent together over decades. In both your and my cases, these friendships started in the 1980s...a large history so important to our hearts and souls. 

• Members

Thank you. It feels good to see someone who can understand and relate to what I'm going through. Please spend as much time with him as you can remembering the good times. My friend and I did not know it was coming so fast so we did not get to do that. I appreciate your kindness so much. I have been truly alone in my grief and this helps.