Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Saturdays remain painful

WithoutHer

• Members

I'm not doing well at all. It's another Saturday taking it's toll on me. We all have our pain we share but each of us deal with it individually and many here like me do it all alone. I've heard and read all the advice and I'm actually sick and tired of it. Words do nothing to reduce the depth of the pain I feel losing Vickie and every Saturday it hits and hurts just as bad.

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
17 minutes ago, KayC said:

I'm sorry. No advice.

I'm just inside out today and missing her so much.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

@Dawn WmsFor many it's weekends but I'm retired and everyday is a weekend. My issue has been Saturdays because she passed on a Saturday just over 4 months ago and the day is like a weekly anniversary to me and my mind and heart haven't learned to cope with it. I haven't had one day without tears but Saturdays are always the worst day for me. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

I see.  My husband also passed on a Saturday.  I am so sorry for your loss.  It has been over three years for me but I still struggle.  It's just really hard and there is no getting around that.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Before I retired Saturday was our day out together. I retired the month the pandemic started so it worked out for us being together every day but we didn't get out much then. The memories of Saturdays now good and bad all hurt deeply.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
18 hours ago, Dawn Wms said:

I have a whole library now on grief and it doesn't change the reality.  Nothing can.

Oh how this resonates. I look at all of that reading and researching as my essential survival tools to try to calm my endlessly troubled mind...eventually coming to the conclusion that nothing was a full-proof solution to grief. Understanding the grief=love paradigm is likely the greatest revelation and truest answer to gaining some level of peace with loss although that paradigm can also bring with it frustration and a feeling of defeat too. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
15 hours ago, Dawn Wms said:

My husband also passed on a Saturday.

What is with Saturday? My dad first passed on a Saturday, then my mom passed on a Saturday, and finally my wife passed on a Saturday. I wouldn't doubt it if I go on a Saturday too. 

• Hugs 3

• Moderators
9 hours ago, DWS said:

Understanding the grief=love paradigm 

I agree.

• Like 2

• Members
Racecarkitten

No advice to offer. Just empathy and understanding. Praying for some easier moments for all of us. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
27 minutes ago, Racecarkitten said:

No advice to offer. Just empathy and understanding. Praying for some easier moments for all of us. 

I would like to just be able to remember and talk about her without the tears. I can't even think about her without them. She was the one in a lifetime meeting miracle of my life and I hers. No two people were ever meant to be together more. It's so hard even her daughter knows the happiness her mom had with our relationship.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
10 hours ago, WithoutHer said:

No two people were ever meant to be together more.

I understand, it's how I felt with us, that it was fated, and I'd never believed or thought about fate before, it was meeting and marrying him that did it...

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
MichiganDaniel

I’m in another Saturday right now, and It’s a holiday weekend here, so I don’t go back to work until Wednesday. I had a huge meltdown in the car two days ago. I thought I was over those, but this was a bad one. I don’t ever want to do that again. Four months after, I’m still adjusting. Maybe the grief was fighting back at my attempts at acceptance. I don’t know. Most of the time I just wish I could do things with someone else. I’m lonely and I have no idea if that can ever change, and that’s scary.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I remember having to pull over because I was crying so hard...those long commutes are tough when grieving.  Be safe.

To have others in our lives, we must involve ourselves in groups: bird watching, volunteering at a shelter, food pantry, golfing, whatever the activity, it gets us around others and that all helps!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
WithoutHer

@Sim7079Thank you for the words of support. This month will be triple whammies for me. Each Saturday still hurts, the 11th will be the 5 month mark of Vickie's passing and the 20th would have been her 62nd birthday. 

And as I said I am going through this alone except for our two cats and one dog to care. I have no remaining family or friends for support. I do have 1 friend who is a retired nurse who befriended Vickie and I while delivering groceries part time for extra money but she has a very busy schedule caring for her husband and all the volunteer work she does. But I only have contact with her once about every week and a half.

This is not only a hard road for me it's also a very lonely and alone one. I know all the advice and discussions of grief support groups but their structure and methods are not for me. This place is the best I have for now to express myself and share others experiences.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

For sure not all grief support groups are the same! I loved the one I had! Of course I was in charge...but I made everyone feel welcome and comfortable, they could share, or not, we sometimes went to lunch together afterwards (small town), we had materials but was flexible also.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
WithoutHer
5 hours ago, shawnt said:

All I really want is gone and nothing feels right with the world.

I need something to look forward to.but I can't find it

@shawntI feel exactly the same and other than here have no place to express those feelings. I like you desperately need something look forward to. The meds I've been put on have helped stop the crying spells from triggers but my nerves and emotions still get so wound up my mind and body can't feel a moment of being relaxed.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

One of the things about this forum that was helpful to me was to read that others were struggling as miserably as I was struggling.  I was not crazy. I was not losing my mind. I was not alone. Others were as crippled by grief as I was.  Others were experiencing unbearable pain. 

In early grief, it was impossible for me to consider joining a new group, developing a hobby, or whatever.  Many days, I could not see the point in getting out of bed, showering or engaging in life at all. There was no point. 

There were times the pain in my head or in my chest or both, was so intense I thought I would surely die.  It was all I could do to breathe through the pain, waiting to die.  But then it would pass and I wouldn't be dead - much to my dismay. 

For me it was several years later that I began to consciously try to re-engage in life by trying new things.  

Each of us is on our own time line. There is no schedule that at 3 months you do this and at 6 months you do that.  We each do what we can do, when we can do it.  To your own self be true is sort of a fundamental law of grief.  You can't really force yourself to do things you are not ready to do. (At least that is how it felt to me.)

I read how so many of you are suffering, missing your life-partner, lost without them, unable to see any way or point to trying to live without them.  I remember that horrible hopelessness so well.  I am truly sorry for what you are going through.  

The only hope I can give you is my experience that it does not stay this terrible forever.  My life is really okay now, six and a half years later.  My life will never be as good as it was with my love, but it is generally good, sometimes joyful. 

Sending you all strength to get through the terrible Saturdays, anniversaries, long nights, lonely mornings, waves of crying, bouts of unbearable pain.  Family and friends don't have a clue how terrible this is, but we get it.  Keep sharing your stories. It helps you to be heard and it helps others to know they are not alone. 

Gail

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2