Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My sweet baby Arya

Cheecharones

• Members
Cheecharones

On Saturday I found a German shepherd in my backyard. He was friendly and kept following me so I let him stay in our fenced area while I was at work so I can find his owner in the mean time. I had a short day at work so it was going to be okay. I post all over Facebook to find an owner and when I got home I took him to a local vet, had no chip so I went around my neighborhood to find his owner. It started to storm and I would feel bad leaving him outside so I saw that he got along with my dogs and allowed him in. Never in my mind did I think he was going to attack and kill one of my cats. My baby Arya. The dogs were barking I couldn’t tell why and then next thing I see is blood everywhere and my cat fighting for her life. I tried to get the dog to let go of her and he wouldn’t. He was treating her like a toy. I called my dad and he got the dog to let go of her but it was far too late. I am having a hard time not blaming myself. I shouldn’t have let the dog in my house, I should have acted faster hearing the dogs bark like that. There is just so much I should have done differently and I am losing my mind. My heart is aching and I don’t know what to do. Arya was the perfect cat. I bottle fed her, she was my shadow,  she was my everything. I hate that I am missing one of my babies now. I don’t know what to do, how to cope. I have lost a lot of loved ones but not an animal like this. I can’t make sense of it. She didn’t deserve that at all. She minded her own business. I am trying to take care of myself the way she would have taken care of me but I am haunted with guilt. Every morning hurts and I wake up crying, yelling  “why?” I just don’t understand. It feels like a nightmare that I can’t handle at all. 

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

OMG, I am so sorry!  Here you were trying to do the right thing and this happened.  You would not have known the dog would be aggressive, and who knows if he thought he was playing with her.  My heart hurts for you and what you and your pets are going through.  What did you do with the dog?

OMG, how horrible for you and your kitty to go through!  I have heard of this happening before, but to see it....that is truly hard.  I am so sorry.

You can rest assured your kitty is at peace now...

The what ifs blame game happens to most of us going through early grief, it did me when my husband died nearly 18 years ago...it's not that we are guilty of anything but loving them, and the truth is feelings are not facts, but it's that we can't wrap our heads around what happened, and our mind is trying to find some different possible outcome so it searches all the what ifs...

Comfort for Grieving Animal Lovers

A Dangerous Villain: Guilt
Breaking the Power of Guilt
A Dangerous Villain: Guilt
http://www.pet-loss.net/guilt.shtml
http://www.griefhealing.com/article-loss-and-the-burden-of-guilt.htm
https://www.griefhealingblog.com/2019/08/pet-loss-when-guilt-overshadows-grief.html
https://www.griefhealingblog.com/2017/07/pet-loss-when-guilt-goes-unresolved.html

I hope this short video brings you some comfort and peace.

• Angel Wings 1

• Members
Cheecharones

I decided to get professional help. Arya taught me how to be vulnerable and that I need affection during times likes these so I want to honor her by taking care of myself and focusing on my other animals too.  

Once the dog let go of Arya I took him outside to our backyard and took my cat to the closest vet in hopes there was some way of helping her. When I was at the vet they helped me call animal control but when I got home the dog wasn’t in my backyard anymore. I notified animal control and they said they would patrol the area but they haven’t notified me if they found him or his owners. 

I am so sorry for the loss of your husband. My heart goes out to you. 

• Hugs 1

• Moderators

I'm glad you're getting help and I am just so sorry you are going through any of this. :(

• Members

@Cheecharones it's a terrible story! You did the right thing and ended like this...

i imagine how guilt and sorry you are for your beautiful cat Arya...

My heart goes to you, hoping for you some comfort here...hugs Roxi

• Like 1