Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Volunteering

ThereIsAField

• Moderators

I 1,000% agree, that's why it's in my tips article.  If I lived closer to a shelter or rescue, that's what I'd do, but now with my hand injuries, that's out, but I am so glad you've signed up for this and enjoy it!  

• Like 2

• Members
9 hours ago, ThereIsAField said:

Something about not hyper-focussing on one's own losses and grief, but vividly experiencing that the people/ animals/ ecology you're helping via volunteer work - that their plight is difficult too - that everyone struggles and needs help - can be healing in a way that mere words or thoughts often can't.

I can really relate to that. Helping others helps me to take my mind off of my own situation. For the last few weeks, a yellow stray cat (with a collar) has been wandering into our yard from time to time. My son says the cat is friendly, but it feels like skin and bones; so we feed it.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Totally agree. I did some animal shelter volunteering in those early days (when I was unemployed) too. It's a great idea IMO for reasons you said, plus it gets you out of the house and focusing on something else. And I love animals so there's that.

• Like 2