Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost my two older dogs within the last three weeks

GraceFanny

• Members
GraceFanny

Both my beautiful and incredibly loved dogs passed. One yesterday suddenly, and the other on May 8th. MY German Shepherd Fanny, died with no symptoms and I came home from work to find she had passed. Yesterday, I found my other dog Grace dying in the yard. Fanny was almost 13 so a good age and Grace was ten. A loving American Bulldog/Pitbull mix. I am having necropsy done to determine cause of death for second dog since both dogs died suddenly and without warning. I have to know my yard is safe, no one poisioning dogs or toxic plants I dont know about. 

I live alone and they were my everything. I am not doing OK. I have only survived today by talking non stop to friends and family. I have never not had a pet in all my 63 years. I know or hope to believe this will get better but it doesnt feel as though it will. 

• Hugs 2

• Members
foreverhis

Welcome. I’m so sorry you are going through this. It’s absolutely tragic to have such heartbreaking loss one right after the other.

I think it’s good that you’re having a necropsy done, just in case. I thought I knew about which plants are okay (like lilies are very toxic to cats and dogs, while peperomia is fine), but then I found out that the beautiful cordyline plants I had outdoors for years are toxic. Out they went as I breathed a sigh of relief.  We just don’t always know. Some animals are sensitive to plants that don’t bother others.  There’s no fault to us in not knowing everything.

I’m sorry to hear that you have to be concerned someone might have done this on purpose. That’s horrifying. But it’s better to know and be aware for the future. I know I am not supposed to think this way, but I can’t help wondering if there isn’t a special place “in hell” for people who abuse innocent animals and children. I so hope your sweet companions weren’t victims.

I get that some people don’t understand about big dogs, especially pit bulls and the whole bull terrier family. That is no excuse for harming them.  I’m wary of any dog, regardless of size or breed, until I know them and their temperament and training. The first pit bull I knew was a sweet and funny rescue owned by a friend. Her only “fault” was sometimes forgetting her own strength when she would run down the stairs for love and pets. I learned to brace myself for 80 lb of love.

I too live alone now and will be 65 this summer. It’s hard and can be lonely. Give yourself time to grieve and remember.  Give yourself time to be able to bring back the joy to mix in with the sorrow. Please ignore anyone who refuses to understand that losing beloved companion animals is hard and painful. They aren’t “just pets.” They aren’t “just” anything; they are family. You will know when the time is right and you are able and ready to open your heart again. 

I adopted a rescue (mostly or all Bengal) cat this year (story on the Loss of a Partner forum). She’s made the house seem more like a home again, even on days she challenges me and I think I was insane to let a 1 year old active, smart, stubborn, slightly crazy, and loving girl decide, “There she is! She’s my family. Finally!” and claim me.  But it took a long while for me to get to a place when I knew it was right. Then, for whatever reason, she was the one I simply couldn’t leave behind.

You, Fanny, and Grace will be in my thoughts and heart today.❤️

• Like 2

• Members

Oh no, I am so sorry for your losses. That is very strange, glad you're looking into it. I know how tough it is to suddenly not have a pet in your life. :( 

• Like 1