Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Grieving and memories?

WithoutHer

• Members
WithoutHer

I am a week past 3 months and am struggling with memories. I'm talking about recalling the good memories as apposed to the last ones of the last day always being there. I can recall day trips of where we went for example but few details of the day and us together. I know my grieving is interfering with this because I know we would talk about those times and discuss other places we would like to take a day drive to. I would like to know if anyone else has experienced trouble with recalling the good memories over the last day memories.

• Like 2

• Moderators

For me it took a while, it was all the last weekend, every detail, then in time the good memories supplanted.  I still remember with detail the last weekend but it doesn't hold it's grip so much.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, WithoutHer said:

I am a week past 3 months and am struggling with memories. I'm talking about recalling the good memories as apposed to the last ones of the last day always being there. I can recall day trips of where we went for example but few details of the day and us together. I know my grieving is interfering with this because I know we would talk about those times and discuss other places we would like to take a day drive to. I would like to know if anyone else has experienced trouble with recalling the good memories over the last day memories.

Oh heck yes. I think that's normal (if there is such a thing as "normal" in grief). It's still hard sometimes.

• Like 4

• Members
Griefsucks810
On 5/21/2023 at 11:40 PM, Jemiga70 said:

Absolutely.  Our last day was horrible, traumatizing.  For me it took almost 2 years before any good memories started to override the last day  (just entered year 3 without her).

Take care, and try to be kind to yourself.

The last time I saw my husband alive and talked to him was on 8/18/19.  On 8/21/19 he was dead and overdosed from receiving a fentanyl laced bag of heroin.  His death was unexpected cuz I didn’t foresee him dying at age 57.  I was traumatized and in shock that he was dead and didn’t know how I was gonna be able to support myself cuz I didn’t have a job and now I didn’t have a place to live cuz I refused to go back to the mobile trailer where we were living at cuz he died in their. I was more traumatized and in disbelief when I saw my husband’s body in a black body bag being carried down the steps to a white van waiting to bring his body to the county morgue in Somers Point NJ.  This is a vision that is burned into my mind and its something I’ll never forget.  For months all I did was replay in my mind over and over of seeing his body in a black body bag and what I went thru to have his body transported to the funeral home in our hometown of Philadelphia, PA.  I wasn’t able to think of any good memories we shared together for the first year since he died.  It took me 2 years to go thru various photos I had accumulated and made myself a photo album containing pictures of us from when we first met all the way up till 12 days before he died.  I don’t think of our memories too often cuz I carry them in my heart. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2