Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Ways to pass the time?

widower2

• Members
MichiganDaniel

On Tuesdays a weekly podcast has a zoom call that I found in their Facebook group. Wednesday is the local Toastmasters club which I have been going to as a guest. I think I’m ready to join. Thursdays I hang out on a Discord server with a community of fans for a YouTube channel while we watch the next episode. Other nights are difficult, especially the weekends. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

I am so sorry you are going through that, @Brazil Man.

I'm having more problems with my hands, now it's tough to "click" on the computer, very hard to type and I'm constantly having to correct it so it takes me triple the time.

Is there any help for dystonia?

• Like 2

• Members
1 hour ago, Brazil Man said:

Some years after the death of my wife I got dystonia, a kind of involuntary movements of arms and chest.
These movements don't give me peace. It's hard to stay seated and do something on the computer ( as writing this post). 

I am so sorry to hear that you're dealing with this. I know nothing about dystonia but it's always interesting to note how these awful medical issues sometimes develop during loss and grief. I certainly have had some medical worries crop up over the past months...just had minor laser surgery on my right eye because it had a small "hole" in it!

I do see that dystonia symptoms can be triggered by stress so it's a bit of a losing battle during grieving. Are you able to do any exercising and if so, does that bring any relief? 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
Brazil Man
53 minutes ago, KayC said:

Is there any help for dystonia?

Dear @KayC I'm sorry about the problem with your hands. Unfortunately no medication could solved my problem.
Thank you for your concerns about me. God bless you.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
Brazil Man
56 minutes ago, DWS said:

I am so sorry to hear that you're dealing with this. I know nothing about dystonia but it's always interesting to note how these awful medical issues sometimes develop during loss and grief. I certainly have had some medical worries crop up over the past months...just had minor laser surgery on my right eye because it had a small "hole" in it!

Dear @DWS Yes, I suspect it's something related to the grief or grief itself that caused the problem. Yes I exercice but I am not sure if it helps. I hope it's all OK with your eyes now. Thank you for your concern. God bless you.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Brazil Man said:

Dear @widower2
My days are harder to pass than yours. Some years after the death of my wife I got dystonia, a kind of involuntary moviments of arms and chest.
These movements don't give me peace. It's hard to stay seated and do something on the computer ( as writing this post). I only have some improvement when I am on laid position, so I am oblidged to stay laid most of the day without nothing to do.  And as I have almost nothing to do all kind of thougths invade my mind, and I have to fight them. I go to the church at saturdays but it's hard to stay seated there. The dystonia effects only desappear when I fall asleep, and thanks God I can spleep. I don't have good dreams but they are not nigthmares.

I'm sorry to hear this as well. Since it's better when you're laying down, maybe you could get some kind of book holder (like a stand with an arm that stretches out across your bed or the sofa) and read? Or have a laptop on such a thing to browse around? And of course there's always TV/movies...I went through a ton of DVDs in my earlier days!

• Like 4

• Members
Brazil Man
7 minutes ago, widower2 said:

I'm sorry to hear this as well. Since it's better when you're laying down, maybe you could get some kind of book holder (like a stand with an arm that stretches out across your bed or the sofa) and read? Or have a laptop on such a thing to browse around? And of course there's always TV/movies...I went through a ton of DVDs in my earlier days

Dear @widower2 Thank you for your tip and concern. God bless you.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Gator M said:

If I can talk or get interested in a YouTube, movie, series...that helps some for me.

Oh yeah, youtube has helped, there's so much on there...sometimes something will come to me and I'll look it up, and there are links to other stuff on the right (some related, some not) that will also interest me, and it's like this rabbit hole (in a good way!).....

• Like 4

• Members
MichiganDaniel
18 hours ago, widower2 said:

youtube has helped

I started watching a channel called The Why Files on YouTube. Conspiracy and creepy stories with explanations and debunking. And a talking goldfish. 

• Like 3

• Members
ThereIsAField

I've grown to love audiobooks because I no longer have the concentration span to read books, like I used to. I have a $10 per month membership at Audible and get one credit for an audiobook per month there, so I've collected quite a few over the years. I usually pick ones on topics that are intricate and complicated and that I find interesting enough to listen to more than once. That way, I can fall asleep while listening to them, which I find very cosy... Like having someone read to you... And I can just pick up where I left off, or listen again for deeper understanding.

Also, TED talks on youtube are a source of endless fascination for me. They're pretty high quality and have such interesting viewpoints and there seem to be an almost infinite number available. Also "Talks at Google" have some fascinating speakers and topics.

I don't know if any of that is an option/ interests you @Brazil Man - they're definitely things that don't require much action/ can be done laying down.

• Like 4

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, DanielInMichigan said:

And a talking goldfish. 

What!  I'd love to see that!

• Moderators

I bought a Kindle right before surgery nine years ago to listen to audiobooks and tried taking it with me to keep up with grief forums but had issues with the operating system (I'm sure it was me just not catching on). I haven't turned it on in years but didn't want to give it away because it has my info on it and I don't know how to reset it...doubt it still works w/o all the years updating, guess I could only try!

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 5/21/2023 at 12:21 PM, ThereIsAField said:

I've never understood all the intricacies of Greek mythology but found a really good, easy, fun, comprehenisve begginer's guide on youtube today, for anyone who's interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M-4M4LyUB0

For those interested in documentary type stuff, two suggestions:

1. https://www.thoughtco.com/:  not "documentaries" exactly, more like short articles on all kinds of topics (documentary-type material)

2. Youtube: there are documentaries of all kinds there too, some longer (1 hr+) some as short as 10-15 mins ish.  Type in an interest and you might be surprised what pops up

• Like 1