Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Do we idealise our deceased partners?

ThereIsAField

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, ThereIsAField said:

I'm wondering tho, whether there isn't also a dynamic of "idealising" the person that's passed away.

In my situation, I'd have to say, "No."  We had something we dealt with right before he died and we were doing that.  It was hard.  I learned to accept the whole of the man. That said, my husband was an amazing man who made a bad choice, but he died doing everything right and I've no doubt we would have made it through even those challenges intact.  He was the love of my life, and I his.

• Like 4

• Moderators
14 hours ago, foreverhis said:

why would I want to talk about his imperfections?

Good way of putting it!

17 hours ago, Roxeanne said:

"if you don't love me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best!"

And this too!

• Like 3

• Members
JonathanFive
On 5/16/2023 at 1:38 PM, ThereIsAField said:

Reading everyone's stories here, makes it seem like almost everyone's relationships were wonderful and their partner was amazing.

I never said that.  I said, "he was the love of my life."   He had his faults, I have my faults, and we had the deepest connection, I know he truly loved me, and I truly loved him.  You take the bad with the good.  No relationship is perfect.

I do not idolize my partner, I grieve his/my loss.

My baby was/his eternal soul is geniunely a good person/entity, with an amazingly awesome personality, full of sweetness and love

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
HisMunchkin

For me, I think there's a tiny bit of that "idealizing", or more like "a tendency to remember mostly the good things about him".  I still talk about the little frustrations that I've had with him to other people, though.  Overall, while our relationship wasn't like something out of a perfect fairy tale, we didn't have any major problems either.  As a whole person (with all the "good"and the "bad" and "everything in between"), I loved him, and still love him and miss him dearly.  And maybe there's also a bit of "took some things for granted" while he was still alive that surfaces after the person passes as well.

ThereIsAField - do you think it would help you move forward better to talk to someone about the very painful times you've had with your late husband?

• Like 3