Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Loss of my "joie de vivre"

DWS

• Moderators

Oh, I get it!  I never have had my enjoyment to the level George and I did but I've learned not to compare what is to what was as it's a real joy-killer.  Instead I look for some good (or joy) in each day, no matter how small and have learned to appreciate it for what it is. 

• Like 3

• Members
On 5/15/2023 at 12:45 PM, DWS said:

Stating that I've lost my joie de vivre says so much. Saying it makes me sad but it sizes up the situation at this point. The larger question now is can it or will it ever return? Maybe some of it??

And that is the same question I ask myself. Since none of us can predict the future, I'll continue to live and grieve one day at a time.

• Like 2

• Members
On 5/17/2023 at 4:26 AM, foreverhis said:

I came to realize that I never would, never could feel the same joy as when John was with me. 

Yes it's the sad truth! So hard to find that joy again without them...

But even if i am convinced now that life is like this, and i have to accept it...i have a costant reminder and regret for that joy...and so this feeling ruins my ability to appreciate the little moments of joy i have now!

There is always that voice inside me: 'si ma ti ricordi ? Yes but you remember?

Then restlessness again...

I

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

Oh, that is so sweet!  And I love the faces on them!

• Like 4

• Members
1 hour ago, KayC said:

Oh, that is so sweet!  And I love the faces on them!

Mini Reece's Pieces and M&Ms. Chocolate almonds for the big noses.

• Like 3

• Moderators
On 5/15/2023 at 12:45 PM, DWS said:

Stating that I've lost my joie de vivre says so much. Saying it makes me sad but it sizes up the situation at this point. The larger question now is can it or will it ever return? Maybe some of it??

My response is an emphatic YES. Easier said than done of course, and it won't be the same, but it's not an all-or-nothing deal, as folks above have pointed out.

Reeces Pieces, M&Ms, and cookies in general may be a good starting point. :) In those early days I lost a LOT of weight because I didn't feel like eating at all, but gradually over time I re-discovered the simple joy of good food. In fact, I've never been one much to go out to eat, but lately have been doing that more though a social (meetup.com) group I'm in. What the hell, why not? 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members

I need to be less kind to myself in the food department. When I was younger and upset, I cut down on eating. Now, it's just the opposite. What happened??

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I would say grief happened, and you are perhaps trying to eat to fill a void, something I did for years.  I just didn't care and I tried different diets and ultimately they didn't help until I discovered the science of Keto and intermittent fasting.  I'm not here to promote that, just saying it works for me as it cuts cravings and gives me energy.  I do hope you find what works for you so you can be healthy for yourself and for your family.  We want you here a long time, perhaps selfishly. You're a good man. ;)

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1