• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KayC

• widower2

• RichS

• Gail 8588

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Enjoyed getting to see Melissa & Joshua yesterday.  Kodie was an angel.  Home at 6 pm, couldn't sleep, too much on my mind...four hours.  

• Like 3

• Members
2 hours ago, RichS said:

I know the feeling, Rey. Last year I organized a night out with friends to go to a Durham Bulls baseball game. After I bought all of the tickets I questioned why I did it. I felt guilty about having a good time without Chris (she wouldn't have gone with me, anyway. She was never a sports fan). This year I'm trying to do the same thing but there's no feeling of guilt. I guess we are making some kind of progress in our grief journey.....................

I think its unbelievable what we do when our spouses were with us, and dont even give a second thought of should we be enjoying ourselves. However, when they go, we question ourselves constantly at "should I really be enjoying this"?

A positive for me today. I was hanging the washing out to dry earlier, and took in the nice morning fresh air with a couple of breaths in and out. I looked up at the clouds and felt a sense of warmth.

I am now certain my Wife is looking after our Son and I, albeit from heaven. This gives me a massive sense of comfort.

• Hugs 4

• Members
Rey Dominguez Jr
16 hours ago, P777 said:

I am now certain my Wife is looking after our Son and I, albeit from heaven. This gives me a massive sense of comfort.

Beautiful!  😊

• Moderators

Finally mowed the back yard despite the drought and we got a little rain later today. However #$@!! moles have convinced me to get (kill) traps; I hate killing any animal, but they have ravaged my yard 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
12 minutes ago, widower2 said:

Finally mowed the back yard despite the drought and we got a little rain later today. However #$@!! moles have convinced me to get (kill) traps; I hate killing any animal, but they have ravaged my yard 

Oh no!! In Ireland, well where I live, no problems with rodents, insects are the only problem but they just do surface damage. I find it interesting in America people call their gardens (yards), when I lived in England we called the back of the house "yards" too, even though most were made of concrete! In Ireland we normally call back and front both the same, a garden, well if you are lucky enough to have both. I am once of the lucky ones, well, Ive worked hard for it, so not really luck!!

29 minutes ago, Rey Dominguez Jr said:

Beautiful!  😊

Thank you Rey, my faith is extremely strong. In fact, like the strongest of metals.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, P777 said:

Oh no!! In Ireland, well where I live, no problems with rodents

You are lucky. Props to St Patrick  ;) 

• Like 2

• Members
7 minutes ago, widower2 said:

You are lucky. Props to St Patrick  ;) 

Yes!! We have no poisoness animals here too, so no need to check everywhere!! The climate is very good!

• Like 3

• Members
7 hours ago, widower2 said:

However #$@!! moles have convinced me to get (kill) traps; I hate killing any animal, but they have ravaged my yard 

I guess not only is your friend, Joe Burroughs back, but now he brought some of his friends with him. OY VEY!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Members
On 7/1/2024 at 12:23 AM, widower2 said:

Yes, it’s hard to get to that point, but when humane means have failed, there comes a time when a quick kill trap is needed.

Back when we had a lawn, we had horrible problems with moles, especially because of the green space behind us. We tried every means possible, but they persisted. When the little beasts got into our flower bulb bed and started disturbing all the roots, I had enough. John agreed and got a quick kill trap. It was not pleasant, but our lily bulbs were not cheap and we spent quite a bit of care on our freesias, Dutch iris, lilies, and other bulbs.

Gophers and moles are terrible this year. I don’t have too much open bed space, so I have used a repellent for several years now (time release caster oil granules; they hate it).  But friends who have been having huge issues with both pests have resorted to things like The Black Hole spring loaded instant kill traps. They don’t like that it’s gotten to that point, but when gophers start taking down mature camellias and other bushes, baby fruit trees, and other valuable plants, as well as leaving dangerous holes and tunnels, there’s little else to do. The buggers eat right through metal mesh gopher barriers and the repellent only does so much when an entire yard is planted and has little hardscape.

On 7/1/2024 at 9:36 AM, KayC said:

It's a good thing I got an appt, my eyelid was about 3/4" thick this morning, eyeball big too and everything red! It's about 1/2" now, hurts like hades.

Oh dear! I hope you can get that taken care of right away! Prayers coming your way!🙏

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
On 6/30/2024 at 10:38 AM, P777 said:

I think its unbelievable what we do when our spouses were with us, and dont even give a second thought of should we be enjoying ourselves. However, when they go, we question ourselves constantly at "should I really be enjoying this"?

A positive for me today. I was hanging the washing out to dry earlier, and took in the nice morning fresh air with a couple of breaths in and out. I looked up at the clouds and felt a sense of warmth.

I am just impressed you hung your laundry out.  I love the smell of fresh laundry hung out.  I never do it but i love it. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

caught the end of this conversation.  I want to ask how you go about moving gophers from your home?  I don't want to kill things but I don't want them digging holes here and I noticed the little suckers are multiplying like rabbits here.  I don't want to get bit or harm an animal either.  Not my thing at all.  

For mice I got the bucket trap....works not bad.  I hate snap traps make me want to throw up and I am afraid I am going to snap myself.  Glue traps seem mean and they take off with the trap.   This is the crap he used to take care of.....ugh ugh ugh

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, KayC said:

Iris did a disappearing act on me

I didn't hear from her until 10:30 which if I had an appt. any time in the morning I would have missed it.  I can't believe her.  Always about her.  she left her cellphone in the car and not a thought to me or our prearranged plans.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
24 minutes ago, Bou said:

I am just impressed you hung your laundry out.  I love the smell of fresh laundry hung out.  I never do it but i love it. 🤣

I am impressed with myself, as for the past last week Ive had a bad back and full of cold, but the fresh air gave me real boost! Normally I can do chores easily, but everything been an effort lately! 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
10 minutes ago, KayC said:

I didn't hear from her until 10:30 which if I had an appt. any time in the morning I would have missed it.  I can't believe her.  Always about her.  she left her cellphone in the car and not a thought to me or our prearranged plans.

Based on her track record, it doesn't surprise me. Maybe you ought to buy her a package of Post-It-Notes. Best invention of the 20th Century (IMO).

She can attach it to Jazzy's cage (that'll make her remember).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

Recently she got in at her eye doctor and I drove her in on a moment's notice 1 1/2 hours away, waited in my car with Kodie for 2 1/2 hours for her, and drove 1 1/2 hours home.  I've also driven her into Eugene to get her car and she had me stop for groceries for her and never even paid for them or my gas!  Again and again I've been there for her. That she could leave me hanging with something as critical as my eye, it's beyond believable to me!

Yeah, post it on Jazzy's kennel, your humor doesn't escape me, good one!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, foreverhis said:

Yes, it’s hard to get to that point, but when humane means have failed, there comes a time when a quick kill trap is needed.

I'm afraid so. I have about an acre and there are tunnels all over the front and back yard, and consequently more and more areas that are mostly dirt vs grass. I thought about buying a few black snakes, but there's no guarantee they'd get them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Members
14 hours ago, P777 said:

Yes!! We have no poisoness animals here too, so no need to check everywhere!! The climate is very good!

I’m so jealous! I recently crossed the pond for a vacation and was enamored with the UK.  I would love to visit Ireland.  So green!  So beautiful!

• Like 3

• Members
1 hour ago, widower2 said:

I'm afraid so. I have about an acre and there are tunnels all over the front and back yard, and consequently more and more areas that are mostly dirt vs grass. I thought about buying a few black snakes, but there's no guarantee they'd get them.

Yeah widower you also can't be sure the snakes wouldn't just wonder off accomplishing nothing. I had one large one actually living in a garden at a house I had years ago. We had voles there and he kept them at bay. But man ole man let me tell you a little vole can eat none stop putting moles to shame.

• Like 2

• Members
7 hours ago, SSC said:

I’m so jealous! I recently crossed the pond for a vacation and was enamored with the UK.  I would love to visit Ireland.  So green!  So beautiful!

Thank you SSC! Yes there are some amazing places to visit in Ireland, really spoilt for choice. I live on the East coast (in the Republic Ireland), which is beautiful but my favourite place to visit is the West and Connemara, Clare etc etc. No matter which direction you go though NSEW, there are beautiful things to see. A big plus is because Ireland is a small country, can visit most places over a short space of time.. Its not cheap though, well neither is anywhere really, but well worth saving up for.

No, I dont work at the tourist office 🤣

I just love Ireland (and I am English too by the way).. not that it matters.

• Like 2

• Members

KayC, hope your eye gets better soon!!!   Sounds terrible!

I've started reading Jan Karon's Mitford book series, I'm on the first one:  At Home in Mitford.  It's pretty good!  

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I read that series, one of my favorite reads! Hopefully someday my eyes will be well enough to read again, maybe after cataract surgery (not this year).  Enjoy!!

• Like 2

• Members
HisMunchkin
15 hours ago, KayC said:

Got a Rx from the opthamologist but he warned it can cause glaucoma, worsen cataracts, etc. 

What did he say was wrong with your eye?  And what meds did he prescribe for you?

15 hours ago, KayC said:

Oh and the cute little skunk I like?  Woke me up twice

😍

• Like 1