Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Time doesn't heal all wounds

Dawn Wms

• Members
Brazil Man
13 hours ago, Dawn Wms said:

It has been three years now and I still feel as raw as in the first months.  I am functioning, going to work, paying the bills, etc., but I still have so much pain and I dread my future.  I wish I could die.

It's really a long and winding road.
For me it's almost 5 years and I feel a little better now; when it was 3 years grief was raw as in your case. Time will heal the wound though a scar will be left.

• Like 4

• Moderators

Time doesn't heal the wound of grief...but it usually helps take the edge off. How much and how long of course varies for everyone. I try to stay busy and get out here and there, sometimes even when I'm not sure I really want to, just for the sake of getting out of the house and doing......something!  The warmer weather helps a lot; I have gardening and yard work and I'm in several meetup.com groups which gives me a built-in set of activities I can pick and choose from.

• Like 3

• Moderators

I've heard that so many times from my grief counselor friend, Marty from griefhealing.com.  She has been an amazing resource over the years and I have the utmost respect for her.  She says it's not time alone that does anything, but what we do with it.  I believe that wholeheartedly. 

Time-What you do with it

• Grief support group
  • Online grief forum
  • Reading grief articles
  • Reading grief books
  • Grief counselor (if you get a good one, if not, keep looking)
  • Support system
  • Being kind to yourself, patient, understanding
  • Honoring your loved one
  • Talking about your loved one
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

I think it's both. Time inevitably helps some on its own because your mind and body simply cannot sustain the anguish at that intensity indefinitely. But you're both right, certainly it isn't enough by itself. Every time I hear or read "time heals all wounds" I cringe and want to throw water in whoever's face said it to wake them up. 

• Like 3

• Moderators

I agree, just the passage of time seems to give us a bit of time to adjust, learn to cope, but again, it's us putting in the effort.  And we do have to stay alive long enough for that to happen..

• Like 2

• Moderators

And it takes a while to reach that point, not that I wanted to die but I didn't want to go through what I'd have to go through if I lived.  But I had my young adult children and pets to live for.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Gator, and there's a big difference between being four months out and many years.

• Like 2

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Gator M said:

We will have to agree to disagree.   I find myself regressing.  I've accepted the loss.  It's the loneliness and the emptiness that has a grip on me.    

I'm sorry. But to piggyback on what Kay said, you're still relatively early in the process. Realistically it won't continue to be this bad indefinitely.

• Like 1

• Moderators

So well said as always. Thanks for saving me the keystrokes. :) 

• Like 2

• Members
10 hours ago, Gator M said:

I'm not giving up...BUT I don't want to be HERE.  

Gator, I've just entered my 3rd year without her. I don't much wanna be here either -- despite having a validating reading with a medium and plenty of signs from my wife.  You're into month 4 and I'm into month 24.  We go through this our own way. Someone I know of lost her husband after years of marriage and she remarried after ~2 years. When I first heard that, I was a bit astounded. Then I stood back from my judgment. We process our grief in our own way. There is no one size fits all.

I can tell from your words that you're hurting. All I can say is to give it some more time. I say that because while I'm still in a world of hurt, the pain isn't as searing as in month 4.  Take care,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, Gator M said:

I'm about useless right now and will be for quite some time.

And many of us were in the beginning.  I thank God my daughter stayed with me for a while.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

I relate to so much of what is said.  I don't know what to do.  I am so lonely.  I just want to die.  I don't know that I believe I will be with him again, but at least I will not be without him.  It is really painful and barely bearable.  My dog keeps me alive because I don't want to abandon him.  But if it weren't for him, I think I would easily kill myself.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Hugs 3

• Members
Griefsucks810
On 5/6/2023 at 10:33 PM, Dawn Wms said:

It has been three years now and I still feel as raw as in the first months.  I am functioning, going to work, paying the bills, etc., but I still have so much pain and I dread my future.  I wish I could die.  I do things with friends but I never feel actual joy or enjoyment.  Everything is a struggle to get through.  I am so lonely and no one's company can cure that.  I need my husband back, but I know that is impossible.  It is kind of harder now than earlier because then, at least, in the early stages people understood. They think I should be over it now and things should be "back to normal."  They don't know how much I am still suffering.  How to deal with the later stages of grief that other people just somehow don't recognize?

Sorry for the loss of your spouse/partner.  I am functioning to a degree, I pay the bills and go food shopping which I dread doing. Our friends and family members who have never lost their spouse can’t even begin to understand the magnitude of the pain and suffering we are going thru and we have to find a way pick up the pieces and move forward with our lives.  We don’t go back to normal - we learn how to live our new lives without our spouses.

• Like 2

• Members
Griefsucks810
On 5/14/2023 at 6:27 AM, KayC said:

I can't picture myself committing suicide, and my dog and cat are great incentive to continue living, but I guess I'm not as social as I once was because I'm okay (for the most part) being without people, going to church seems to be enough and this winter I was only there half the time due to injuries and snow but sometimes you can feel alone in a crowd, you know?  

I also have a cat and dog to live for and  they both depend on me for their every need.  They are both great companions too.

• Like 2

• Members
Griefsucks810
On 5/13/2023 at 7:35 PM, Dawn Wms said:

I relate to so much of what is said.  I don't know what to do.  I am so lonely.  I just want to die.  I don't know that I believe I will be with him again, but at least I will not be without him.  It is really painful and barely bearable.  My dog keeps me alive because I don't want to abandon him.  But if it weren't for him, I think I would easily kill myself.

Sorry for the loss of your spouse/partner and that you are going thru an indescribable amount of pain and suffering. Glad that you are still here cuz your dog depends on you for his every need.  Other than my daughter, my cat is the second reason I’m still here cuz I wouldn’t ever leave her without a mother and she depends on me for her every need. 

• Like 3

• Members
Griefsucks810
On 5/24/2023 at 5:17 PM, JamesF said:

Sorry for your loss Dawn. Truth is, I'm not sure we ever fully get over the loss of our partner, or indeed if we ever really want to. As for other people, they can think what they wish. The only thing that matters is you. So take each day as it comes. Look after yourself because I'm sure that's what your husband would want. And remember on here we understand exactly what you're going through. That's why we're here for one another day in and day out.

I have accepted the full loss of my spouse and I’m accustomed to living my new life without him.  He took a part of me and half of my heart with him when he died. I still have an emptiness in my heart which has never been filled.  I’ll forever cherish in my heart the love we shared together.  I survive day by day and don’t look too far ahead into my future cuz  I don’t know what is to become of me and I don’t know what path my future will take me upon. 

• Like 3

• Members
Griefsucks810
On 5/12/2023 at 6:11 AM, KayC said:

I have them but my son's family is three hours away from here and they expect me at 70 to do all the driving, it's in a hard to find very rural area.  My daughter is 1 1/2 hours from here but lives in a 4th story apt with no parking for guests and a building code to get in.  She's rarely home or answers the phone.  Can't exactly drop in on her.

I don't think it'll impact anyone's life that much when I die either, @widower2.  The neighbors might miss me for a little bit.  I think people would miss Kodie more.  Hoping to last long enough to outlive him.

It’s unfortunate that both of your children live far way from you and there’s no easy way for you to visit with them regularly cuz of the reasons you stated in your post. 

• Like 2

• Members
Griefsucks810
On 5/11/2023 at 10:58 PM, widower2 said:

At least you have kids. I have basically nobody. When I die, it will not impact anyone's life. 

Are you on speaking terms with any of your family members?  Regardless of whether or not you’re on speaking terms with your family members they would all feel remorseful after learning of your death. 

• Like 3